Tamiya 1:48 Mitsubishi A6M3 (Captured)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
With my GB now finis; the next one starting in two months, and my other StoF down to the final lil bits I thought I should start another distraction. It took a few hours searching but this is what I will be doing. All photos Public Domain.

4084822.JPG

4090332.JPG

4100248.JPG

The aircraft was restored to flying condition by the joint USAAF/USN/Royal Australian Air Force Technical Air Intelligence Unit (TAIU) at Eagle Farm, Brisbane, Australia in late 1942 and early 1943. The aircraft was sent for evaluation at Wright Field in the US and wearing post-1943 style US insignia. Fate unknown. According to an article on the J-Aircraft site, a war-time report said the over-all colour was "dove grey". The kit..............

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

I hope to get started on this shortly

....and the fun begins. "What kind of fun?" you ask. "Well sir, the instructions are in Japanese." sez I.

IMG_6033.JPG
IMG_6034.JPG

Off to see if I can find an English version in PDF form........................................

Innards with seat before drilling out the lightning holes. The little rectangle attaches to the slot in the left console. Note the I.P. devoid of any detail, relying on a 42yr old decal. I took a close look at some of the other decals on the sheet and I don't think most would survive the hot bath to loosen them so I'll coat what I need with Microscale Decal Film

IMG_6038.JPG

Innards painted Tamiya XF-65 Field Grey.

IMG_6039.JPG

Engine...not worried about the mold lines as the will be in the back and invisible

IMG_6040.JPG

Painted XF-12 Titanium Silver

IMG_6041.JPG

With a wash of Citadel Black Ink to give it an oily look

IMG_6042.JPG

Thanks guys. Attached the cockpit decals to their various parts and even though they were coated they still manage to break a little. I managed to salvage them but they will need a bit of clean-up, Done for now, bus in a few hours. Have a good week gents

Thanks Wayne and Hugh. In the end I couldn't live with the mold lines in the engines so removed them before the bus. I also manged to get the I.P. decal to settle down good enough for a closed canopy, pics shortly. I was looking over the photos while I was in camp and noticed, in the third photo, that the inner surface off the under carriage doors is quite dark, almost as dark as the semi-gloss black landing gear. Being a Mitsubishi aircraft, the colour should be the same as the aircraft under surface, Hairyokushoku, that illusive greyish-green colour. I wonder, if during the repaint, it was painted the same colour as the landing gear.

1592470634870.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back