Tamiya's New Spitfire Mk I N3200 of 19 Squadron

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You know, you may be right. I'm going back through my builds and need to check what I used on McKNight's Hurricane. I totally forgot about that one and didn't record the mixes in my notes. The formula I used in my Spit here comes from a chap at BM who says it looks very good compared to the chip in "the RAFM color chart (Official Camouflage, Colours and Markings of RAF Aircraft, 1939-45)"

Back soon.

Found it and yes, that Andy is me. That's the mix I used on my RCAF Hurricane 5389 in GB 41. I deliberately did not want to replicate that here because the RCAF colour was deemed to be redder than its British equivalent. Oddly, the mix on that Hurricane had proportionately more yellow in it than this one though the Khaki may have some yellow mixed in already.

I would not go with your second choice there XF-52 + XF-64. That's and early Tamiya suggestion and not a good one. Their latest mix is the one I used without the yellow.

I think I'll go ahead with the dark green and see how it all looks.

Last edited:
After 4 months of gathering dust, this model needed to see some progress. It took a long time to mask the hard-edged camo and I decided to give the Tamiya bendy tape a try in some areas. Gotta say, I'm not impressed given the cost of this stuff. It's fine for longish bends but not tight ones as it buckles if left on for more than a day. I even tried cutting thin strips and in my opinion, it behaves only slightly better than thin strips of the regular yellow stuff. I'll go ahead and use up the roll but I won't buy any more.

Anyway, here's the dark green sprayed on after masking. It's plain old Tamiya XF-81.

Here it is immediately after mask removal. We debated the Dark Earth colour earlier and I think the colour looks OK if arguably a but light. It will also darken a bit after clear coats are sprayed on but I'd welcome expert opinions on how it looks.

There are a number of areas that need fixing and here's one example. The red circles show where paint got under the bendy tape buckles so I will need to re-mask these and other similar bits to smooth out the curves. The yellow circle shows where I didn't catch enough of the brown under the mask and the blue shows a small area where I missed tape coverage.

The curve to the upper right of the blue circle will also be smoothed out as it's too sharp.

Thanks for looking in and I look forward to some constructive feedback.

Looking good Andy, and the Dark Earth is pretty close. A tiny tadette light perhaps, but close enough, and as you mentioned, it will darken a bit once the clear coats go on.
Personally, I'd stick with it.

Did the touch ups today and, oddly, the paint I used for the touch up sprayed a bit darker than the original colour so I went and used it for some all around post shading on the brown. The trickiest part was to cut the masks to the right shape.

Looks good Andy. The curvy RAF camo is what has had me delay painting my Typhoon. I managed to enlarge the painting diagrams on the instructions so hopefully I can use them as templates

Thanks guys. Geo, yes, I ended up using a combination of masking techniques, including using the full scale colour drawing provided by Tamiya. For the wings, I applied some wide kabuki tape onto the drawing and, because the tape is somewhat transparent, I traced the camo pattern onto the tape with a pencil, peeled the tape away and then cut the pattern with a scalpel. This technique is OK for the flatter areas but for curvy parts like the fuselage we need to compensate for the curve and that's why I tried the bendy tape there.

Users who are viewing this thread