Hi,
Interestingly enough, although I have always thought that the M3 Grant was an a fairly odd and ungainly beast I was actually surprised to find that for a period of time it actually was considered be some to be one of the better tanks in North Africa when it first arrived.
Specifically, accoring to Wikipedia the M3 first saw service with the British in North Africa in May 1942 and I read somewhere that the range of its 75mm gun came as a surprise to the Germans, and there is even a footnoted comment on its Wikipedia page (
that the author of the book "Panzer Commander" by a former German Army Colonel during the war (Hans von Luck) that he believed that the M3 was a better tank than the Panzer IV, prior to the F2 variant. Also according to the Panzerserra Bunker (
Panzer IV Ausf F2 - Sd.Kfz. 161/1 - case report) site Rommel had only received 27 Aus F2 tanks by August 1942).
So, for a period of time at least I believe that the M3 may have held some advantage over the German tanks it was encountering in battle.
Pat