Tea and Coffee....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Personally, I'm partial to Louisiana Chicory coffee and dark roast from Guatemala, but ....

Civet coffee or Kopi Luwak is considered to be the most unique and expensive coffee in the world. The reason this coffee is so expensive and hard to find is the way that it is processed. The first part of the coffee cycle with Civet coffee starts with the bean being ingested by the Indonesian Palm Civet.

This small cat-like animal eats the coffee fruit and the partially digested bean is passed through the digestive system and eliminated in the Civet's poop.

While this sounds a bit gross, the way that the bean is processed after it has been removed from the Civet poop removes any bacteria or other contaminants that might make you sick. And, when the bean is roasted, like with regular coffee beans, any bacteria that may be on the beans is killed, creating a safe and delicious coffee product.

In Indonesian, "Luwak" is the Sumatran word for the Asian Palm Civet Cat. The word "kopi" is the Sumatran word for coffee. The people of Indonesia call this coffee Kopi Luwak.

Civet coffee is frequently considered a gourmet coffee offering. It seems strange to find enjoyment in coffee beans collected from the poop of the Civet cat, but those that have tried the Kopi Luwak claim that this is the best coffee you can find.

In nature, Civet cats consume coffee cherries from coffee plants. They may like the fruit because it is sweet or because it offers them some sort of nutritional benefit. This is still unknown. Native Indonesian peoples used to collect the beans from the Civet cat poop and use it to brew a coffee that was thought to have healing properties.

Today, with the increased demand for Civet coffee, Civet cats are bred in captivity and fed coffee cherries with the sole purpose of processing coffee beans for this expensive, gourmet coffee blend. The flavor that you enjoy with Civet coffee is a combination of the type of coffee plant the cherries are from and the process that the bean goes through, passing through the digestive system. Arabica coffee beans are the preferred type of coffee cherry for Kopi Luwak coffee.

why-is-civet-coffee-so-expensive.jpg


In the United States, a pound of Civet coffee can cost between $100 and $ 500 USD. The more expensive Civet coffee generally comes from wild Civet cats.
 
Personally, I'm partial to Louisiana Chicory coffee and dark roast from Guatemala, but ....

Civet coffee or Kopi Luwak is considered to be the most unique and expensive coffee in the world. The reason this coffee is so expensive and hard to find is the way that it is processed. The first part of the coffee cycle with Civet coffee starts with the bean being ingested by the Indonesian Palm Civet.

This small cat-like animal eats the coffee fruit and the partially digested bean is passed through the digestive system and eliminated in the Civet's poop.

While this sounds a bit gross, the way that the bean is processed after it has been removed from the Civet poop removes any bacteria or other contaminants that might make you sick. And, when the bean is roasted, like with regular coffee beans, any bacteria that may be on the beans is killed, creating a safe and delicious coffee product.

In Indonesian, "Luwak" is the Sumatran word for the Asian Palm Civet Cat. The word "kopi" is the Sumatran word for coffee. The people of Indonesia call this coffee Kopi Luwak.

Civet coffee is frequently considered a gourmet coffee offering. It seems strange to find enjoyment in coffee beans collected from the poop of the Civet cat, but those that have tried the Kopi Luwak claim that this is the best coffee you can find.

In nature, Civet cats consume coffee cherries from coffee plants. They may like the fruit because it is sweet or because it offers them some sort of nutritional benefit. This is still unknown. Native Indonesian peoples used to collect the beans from the Civet cat poop and use it to brew a coffee that was thought to have healing properties.

Today, with the increased demand for Civet coffee, Civet cats are bred in captivity and fed coffee cherries with the sole purpose of processing coffee beans for this expensive, gourmet coffee blend. The flavor that you enjoy with Civet coffee is a combination of the type of coffee plant the cherries are from and the process that the bean goes through, passing through the digestive system. Arabica coffee beans are the preferred type of coffee cherry for Kopi Luwak coffee.

View attachment 861881

In the United States, a pound of Civet coffee can cost between $100 and $ 500 USD. The more expensive Civet coffee generally comes from wild Civet cats.
And people think Folger's is sh"t?
 
fannum fannum while you're busy disliking my concern for the Civet Cats, read more about the "farming" process...

Regardless of how its farmed or who picks the beans out of the cat shit I don't get the appeal to drink it. 😝

Or why anyone would be willing to pay those prices for it.
 
I chinzed out. 😟
Had to do some grocery shopping the other day and remembered that I should probably get some coffee, too. Usually, I grind my own, but Walmart had Cafe Bustelo in the foil brick on sale, so I threw it the shopping cart and mixed it in with the Grind-yer-own I usually get.
This morning the coffee was a tad weak. I sucked it down anyway. :facepalm:

1768123600434.png

[-X
 
Last edited:
I chinzed out. 😟
Had to do some grocery shopping the other day and remembered that I should probably get some coffee, too. Usually, I grind my own, but Walmart had Cafe Bustelo in the foil brick on sale, so I threw it the shopping cart and mixed it in with the Grind-yer-own I usually get.
This morning the coffee was a tad weak. I sucked it down anyway. :facepalm:

View attachment 863466
[-X
This is a pretty popular brand around metro New York. I'm too lazy to make anything other than instant. I'm out of Folger's. I'm drinking Maxwell House right now.
Tastes like it was run through a cat first.
 
One winter Sunday at a friend's private strip in New Braunfels, NE of San Antonio about '60, we had spent the night working on a Stearman duster I had leased from Lefty Gardner. Eager to check it out, we bundled up, scarfs trailing, and took off on a 'Dawn Patrol' flight to check out the spray mechanism changes. With the tank full of water, we flew up to Lake Travis, near Austin, and made low passes over the empty lake, verifying our spray mods worked, watching the pattern on the water.

Returning well chilled but giddy, we fired up the coffee pot, added Christmas chocolate and liberal brandy to the blend, and found Grape Nuts in the cupboard. Then, realizing no milk on hand, we went to the fortified holiday egg nog and crunched our way through a hilarious, well lubricated line shack breakfast.

R
 
This is a pretty popular brand around metro New York. I'm too lazy to make anything other than instant. I'm out of Folger's. I'm drinking Maxwell House right now.
Tastes like it was run through a cat first.
LoL! Now that you mention it, I think I remember my cousin touting the aspects of Cafe Bustelo.
I feel your pain about the Maxwell House, though. I grew up on Taster's Choice, which was never anyone's choice except for my parents. :facepalm:
I still have a big jar of it, for those times when the last pour from the pot is only a partial cup...a couple of taps just keeps the coffee from tasting too watered down when I top off the cup. A little goes a LONG way, though.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back