Testors 1/48 P-47D-5 Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agree with Andy there. When first using an airbrush, there's a temptation to try to cover everything fully in one go. All this does is make the paint 'pool', which will then flow away from some areas, leaving 'thin' spots, and clog in others, leaving thick, uneven coverage. As Andy said, spray even, thin coats, letting each one dry before doing the next, and always keep the brush moving, in one direction. That way, you'll get a good, even, solid finish. Practice, practice, practice!

I always make my first pass so fine it looks like heavy over-spray, then add a little more each pass giving it a few minutes to dry(with MM flat enamel) between each pass until it looks opaque.

Here is the cockpit progress.

All those shiny spots were dry brushed silver. I think I did pretty good and its the first time i've been nearly, completely satisfied.

Attachments

• 102_6866.JPG
    102_6866.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 102_6867.JPG
    102_6867.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 121
  • 102_6868.JPG
    102_6868.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 123
Turned out real nice Harrison!. If you need to see close up reference photos of the jug just ask me. I have tons on them, interior or exterior, from years of searching the web for my 1:1 cockpit project.

Last edited:
Today I'm hoping to start the dry fitting process, but first I am moving the location of my workbench to my own dedicated modeling room!!!

I'm pretty happy since I won't be disturbed and it's not a huge room but its my own :D

Found a review, this guy used resin parts as well for his Testors kit.

https://hangar47.com/P-47_Thunderbolt.html

Last edited:
While waiting to move my workbench I did some more work. I furtured the instruments and painted them. Added foot pedals.

Then I tried dry fitting and where the older cockpit was suppose to go they had pieces sticking out so with the dremel those got removed. Now that those are gone I dry fitted the cockpit to one side and it fits fine... .

QUESTION: Does the instrument panel sit under the arch or in front of it? Now I have to thin the fuselage in some areas so the other side will fit....

Attachments

• 102_6872.JPG
    102_6872.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 102_6873.JPG
    102_6873.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 102_6874.JPG
    102_6874.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 102_6875.JPG
    102_6875.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 110
  • 102_6876.JPG
    102_6876.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 108
The instrument panel on the razorback stood away from the front of the windscreen, but very often had a shroud over the tubes for the gun sight mount, acting as a shade. Judging by your pics, I'd say it would fit under the coaming, which will replicate the shroud, but you'll find out by checking alignment of the cockpit tub and rear bulkhead.

Thanks Terry! What will I make the screen out of?

Currently I'm moving into my dedicated modeling room, yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back