The American airshow, Duxford, May 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again Wojtek and Andy, glad you like them - the image quality improves later in the show.

The next two posts have little to do with 'warbirds', but there's some incredible flying.
Paul Bonhomme and Steve Jones, with the 'Red Bull' aerobatic team, showed that it is possible to do things with aeroplanes which were undreamed off not that many years ago - and all at fairly high speed.
The images definitely do not do justice to the flying !

AM 91.jpg
AM 92.jpg
AM 93.jpg
AM 94.jpg
AM 95.jpg
AM 96.jpg
AM 97.jpg
AM 98.jpg
AM 99.jpg

Sorry Hugh, was posting as you replied - many thanks.

Following the superb display by the Red Bull team, the Army Air Corps provided more aerial 'antics', with the Apache gunship.
Not my sort of 'thing', but this crew did things with a helicopter that shouldn't be possible - at least, not by something with a food whisk on its roof !!
Next lot, tomorrow, will be the Eurofighter Typhoon II.

AM 110.jpg
AM 112.jpg
AM 114.jpg
AM 115.jpg
AM 116.jpg
AM 117.jpg
AM 118.jpg
AM 119.jpg
AM 120.jpg
AM 121.jpg

Thanks again chaps !
Staying with the 'modern' stuff for a while, and another two-part sequence, with the Eurofighter Typhoon II demonstrating its agility, raw power - and noise !

AM 122.jpg
AM 126.jpg
AM 127.jpg
AM 131.jpg
AM 133.jpg
AM 136.jpg
AM 138.jpg
AM 139.jpg
AM 141.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks my friend, and thanks for the 'Like' Michael.

Moving on from the fast and furious, to the slow and curious, with one of the observation / communications aircraft, in the form of a DHC Beaver, owned and operated by Duxford residents, the Aircraft Restoration Company.
This Canadian aircraft demonstrated its STOL capabilities, as well as its climb and slow flying abilities. Used by the RCAF, Canadian Army, US Army and the British Army Air Corps among others., the type saw service in Vietnam, the Middle and Far East, as well as Europe, and was, and still is, a very capable 'bush' aircraft.
It's a type I've always wanted to own - but I suppose I can dream !

AM 153.jpg
AM 154.jpg
AM 155.jpg
AM 156.jpg
AM 157.jpg
AM 158.jpg
AM 159.jpg
AM 160.jpg
AM 161.jpg
AM 162.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Wojtek and Geo.

The Vietnam theme continued, as the 'Woppa, woppa' of rotors could be heard above the sound of 'Ride of the Valkyries' playing over the PA system, and those icons of that conflict, a 'Huey' and a 'Loach', emerged from the haze.
Both of these actual machines saw service in Vietnam, and both received battle damage, the 'Loach' actually being shot down.
During restoration, around eleven patched bullet holes were found on the airframe.

AM 163.jpg
AM 166.jpg
AM 167.jpg
AM 168.jpg
AM 170.jpg
AM 172.jpg
AM 173.jpg

Thanks Andy, and I know what you mean. Handy things to have, if you want to land in a field, but like you, as an airshow 'act', they don't really grab my attention. However, a 'Huey' is a relatively rare sight in the UK (apart from the latest, civilian type, working offshore) so I didn't want to miss it.
I have to admit, although overall it was a good show, I thought that, in some cases, it was stretching the theme slightly, with the mix of some of the aircraft, and I didn't really experience that 'wow factor' one normally gets at a Duxford show. It'll be interesting to see how 'Legends' compares under the new CAA rules, organised by TFC as opposed to the IWM.

But back to the pics, and continuing with the Vietnam era, this time with support/ supply and COIN aircraft, in the shape of the Shorts 'Bread van' ... sorry, 'Skyvan' ...... and the Bronco.
I've always liked the twin-boom, twin engine Bronco, and I've wanted to see one flying ever since this ex- Luftwaffe target tug first started on the UK 'circuit'. Karl and I both agreed that, with a few modifications, it would make a good touring aircraft, great for visiting other airshows !
The 'Ugly Sister', dumpy little Skyvan didn't strike me as an interesting air show attraction at first, but it put on a good show, demonstrating it's STOL capabilities and, if nothing else, it was something different. The markings seem to be based on those carried by the helicopters of 18 Sqn, RAF, and, after the show, we saw it's roomy cargo hold being put to good use, as the display crews from both the Skyvan and the Bronco had brought a car with them, and drove it into the hold before departing !
Again, this selection will be posted in two parts.
AM 182.jpg
AM 183.jpg
AM 190.jpg
AM 191.jpg
AM 193.jpg
AM 196.jpg
AM 197.jpg
AM 201.jpg
AM 204.jpg
AM 205.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back