The American airshow, Duxford, May 2016.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The next display presented the WW2 communications and observation aircraft, represented here by the DH Dragon Rapide, and Aeronca.
Once again split between two posts.
AM 221.jpg
AM 222.jpg
AM 223.jpg
AM 224.jpg
AM 226.jpg
AM 227.jpg

Second set.
The Aeronca landed across the grass runway, into wind as there was a crosswind, and was heading directly towards us, bouncing on grass !

AM 228.jpg
AM 229.jpg
AM 230.jpg
AM 232.jpg
AM 233.jpg
AM 234.jpg

Thanks chaps, and yes, the 'Drag Rap' is a classic among classics.

Talking of which, here's some more classics,and near the top of my list of favourites, with happy memories of seeing ex-military C-47 Dakotas at my local airport in the 1960s.
These two C-47s represented the the 9th USAAF's valuable contribution during WW2, used for para drops, glider towing and recovery, re-supply and medivac.
Due to the forum limit of ten pics per post, once again this set is divided between two posts.
AM 235.jpg
AM 236.jpg
AM 237.jpg
AM 238.jpg
AM 239.jpg
AM 240.jpg
AM 241.jpg
AM 242.jpg
AM 243.jpg

Thanks very much, Paul, Wojtek and Shinpachi.

I made an error in the text in the last post - now corrected - when I typed 'Harvard' instead of 'Corsair'. I was thinking of the Zero replica, which is, of course, a Harvard with vis mods !
Those pics will be posted tomorrow.

A bit earlier than originally announced, the next two posts show the 'Zero' sequence, representing the attack on the airflelds at Pearl Harbour and subsequent American actions in the Pacific, with a Curtis Hawk, P-40C, Wildcat and Corsair and a French-registered Harvard converted to resemble a 'Zero'.
After the 'Zero' strafed the field, the US fighters took off to intercept, before providing a display in pairs, and the final four ship formation.

AM 253.jpg
AM 254.jpg
AM 255.jpg
AM 256.jpg
AM 257.jpg
AM 258.jpg
AM 259.jpg
AM 260.jpg
AM 261.jpg
AM 262.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread