The American Film Institute's 2007 list of the top-100 American movies:

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't give a toss about what movie critics say or think about movies. Which ones are good or bad. I remember the critics saying Braveheart was full of violence and that it had too many battle scenes. Give me a break the 12th Century was full of violence and battles in that period the movie was set in. Talk about stating the obvious. And same critics babbled on about slaves in the movie Patriot with Mel Gibson. Hell movie was based in American War of Independance. Course there were slaves in that period. Stupid movie critics

We where all very polite in the 12th century over here EM and hardly ever got upset with each other in fact if Tea had been discovered it would have been cucumber sandwiches at Sterling.

It would've been if it didn't take about 2 hours to go down! Shame on James Cameron, as Aliens is one of my all-time favourite films. Plus, Goodfellas at 92? Eh?

Spot on! Where's the Horror flicks?! Alien/s became the benchmark. Alien came out only 2 years after STAR WARS and made it look.. sad.
Another favorite is John Carpenter's THE THING (1982). The 'walking head' was a classic scene!:shock:

Dirty Harry was a far better movie.
No way Sy, Unforgiven rates at least as good as if not better than High noon I liked Dirty Harry but it was so far fetched it spoiled a really good plot. the best things about it where the catch phrases and Lalo Schifrin's superb score.

And same critics babbled on about slaves in the movie Patriot with Mel Gibson. Hell movie was based in American War of Independance. Course there were slaves in that period. Stupid movie critics

I was pretty offended by that film, not the slaves, but the fact the British were depicted as Nazi-esque church burning murders. If I remember rightly, it was based on a real person, until the producers discovered he was a slave owner who raped Native American women in his spare time

I would say it was the first film in which showed the unvarnished callousness of the holocaust before that the closet film that I can think of was judgement at Nuremberg at the time of it's release Schindlers list shocked a lot of people. I still find it very moving, sometimes I feel that people forget that these type of films (although produced to make money) represent a real and not celluloid event, absolutely horrendous and appalling beyond belief.(F****** Nazi bastards)

I was pretty offended by that film, not the slaves, but the fact the British were depicted as Nazi-esque church burning murders. If I remember rightly, it was based on a real person, until the producers discovered he was a slave owner who raped Native American women in his spare time

I think the guy's name was Banistre Tarleton. He was an American Tory (american who fought for the British). Was also responsible for the massacre of 500 colonial soliders (of a Delaware Rgmt if not mistaken) that had already surrendered. Although, unlike the movie, I think he survived the war, went to England and lived on.

They kinda crossed a bunch of stories in the Patriot. Tried to get a general feel for the war in the South. Think they did ok, given the scope they were trying to cover. From what I've read, the Revolutionary War south of Maryland was a particularly nasty fight. It was more a civil war than a revolution. Brits would move their army into an area, pacify it, put their guys in charge and leave. The fun started right after they left. Colonials came out of the woodwork and started attacking the Tories. Got very ugly. Lot of old scores were settled, that sort of thing.

Telling a story that ugly about a time period that sort of has a halo over it (The American Revolution) is almost impossible. The Church Burning was probably representative of it.

ANXBe.png

Last edited:
Well I was talking about the love story, but you're right :lol:

As I am a student of the arts of the cinema, and I hate love stories, when those scenes reared their ugly heads.... I just looked at the background of the scenes to see how close to detail the set craftsman were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back