The ANZACS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

To right A4K. ANZAC Day nearly upon us again. Time to remember Aussies and Kiwis who fought alongside each other and apart from each other since 1901 to 2008. A Salute to our Gallant Mates The New Zealanders across the ditch. From one of your Aussie Mates who has the blood of an World War 2 Aussie ANZAC in his viens

To right A4K. ANZAC Day nearly upon us again. Time to remember Aussies and Kiwis who fought alongside each other and apart from each other since 1901 to 2008. A Salute to our Gallant Mates The New Zealanders across the ditch. From one of your Aussie Mates who has the blood of an World War 2 Aussie ANZAC in his viens

Well said Emac, couldn't agree more.

Roll up Roll up its on again. ANZAC Day nearly upon us. Time for Kiwis and Aussies to remember our mateship. Forged in War Enduring in Peace. To our mates on the Islands of the Long White Cloud from your mates on the Big Island. G'day Mate and well met. Pull up a space to stand and remember those who gave up their TODAY for our TOMORROW. Lest we Forget

I love ANZAC Day, I'm thinking about marching in Adelaide this year with some of my mates, should be a good day.
On another note, I just bought a DVD entitled "ANZAC, Australians At War In World War II" for 20 bucks at K-Mart. I haven't watched all of it yet but its 3 discs with 26 parts about different campaigns fought in WWII. Grab a copy as soon as you can!
More info-
ANZAC - Australians At War In World War Two (3 Disc Set) @ EzyDVD

If you happen to be shopping in K-Mart or Big W this week, I highly recommend a new book out called 'ANZAC an Illustrated History 1914-1918' edited by Richard Pelvin. Published by the Australian War Memorial, it is a large format pictorial history of Australia's involvement in WW1 and only around $30. It's full of stunning and even emotional photos. I don't buy many books these days, but this was a must!

Typical quality photo...here we have officers of the 6th Australian Infantry Brigade in their billets beneath Hill 63, Messines...

I am sorry but the Captain on the lower bunk with no teeth in his melon struck me as funny. Wonderful photo Graeme. I will keep an eye out for the book myself

I am sorry but the Captain on the lower bunk with no teeth in his melon struck me as funny.

He fits the Ocker/Digger image Emac!

But I guess dentistry and dental hygiene were very primitive back in those days. From the same book, this is field dentistry at Gallipoli. Note the assistant at right holding the patient down!...

I love ANZAC Day, I'm thinking about marching in Adelaide this year with some of my mates, should be a good day.

Good luck to to you mate! and THANKS for your service!

On another note, I just bought a DVD entitled "ANZAC, Australians At War In World War II" for 20 bucks at K-Mart.

Thanks for the tip Wildcat. Unfortunately looking for DVDs in out local K-Mart is like fossicking for gold. The staff generally have no idea where anything is, let alone Australian war HISTORY! :rolleyes:

Yes Graeme that Captain certainly fits the OCKER/DIGGER image. But the one problem now remains. How do we explain to our American Friends what an OCKER/DIGGER is. Got any suggestions Graeme? I am up for it

And here is something else I don't really know how to classify. But I came across this video on Youtube. To say the very least it is different. But it is in Rap Music and Lyrics and gives tribute to the ANZACs. I was surprised to say the very least

I will be working on ANZAC Day Wild but will buy the Badges as usual for Legacy Badges from the RSL.

To our overseas Brethren Legacy is a Charity organisation attached to the Returned Services League. Legacy raises funds for the War Widows and Orphans of Australian Servicemen who didn't return to Australian and where either Killed in Action Missing or Died from Wounds. So the spirit of ANZAC still applies to the families of men and women who had been in the service of this country. And when we buy the Badges Wild and I are referring the money raised goes to Legacy. We still look after our own

Good luck to you mate! and THANKS for your service!

Thanks alot Graeme, though I must confess, the first and only time I've marched, I didn't feel worthy enough to be marching amongst the warriors from WWII and onwards, especially considering "my" war was mainly fought against boredom and old sea mines.

Emac44 said:
I will be working on ANZAC Day Wild but will buy the Badges as usual for Legacy Badges from the RSL.

To our overseas Brethren Legacy is a Charity organisation attached to the Returned Services League. Legacy raises funds for the War Widows and Orphans of Australian Servicemen who didn't return to Australian and where either Killed in Action Missing or Died from Wounds. So the spirit of ANZAC still applies to the families of men and women who had been in the service of this country. And when we buy the Badges Wild and I are referring the money raised goes to Legacy. We still look after our own

Great to see you guys support Legacy, such a wonderful organisation. I'll never forget a few years back when we were selling badges in the middle of Adelaide in full dress uniform. An old lady came up to me and brought a badge saying that she buys one every year, especially because her son had been killed in Vietnam. This caught me off guard and I was left there speechless, to this day I regret that I didn't have something more substantial to say to her.

Very touching anecdote Wildcat.

Legacy supported my Granmother for a long time as my grandfather contracted a disease of some sort when he was with RAAF and passed away.

It pleased me to still see others at the local shops buying the badges, hopefully will continue to do so. I know I always will.

On a different note and seeing as most of the Aussie's are reading this thread, check out SBS next Tuesday (22nd Apr) at 1300 for " Whispering Death: Beaufighter, Forgotten Warhorse"

A documentary about the WWII aircraft the Beaufighter, the crews who maintained them and the thousands who helped produce them in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. The historic significance of the Beaufighter is immense, as along with the Kittyhawk, it was Australia's choice as its frontline attack aircraft. It was this craft that performed effectively in the Battle of the Bismarck Sea, when the Allies attacked a Japanese landing party on March 3, 1943. One historian states that this battle was "the decisive aerial engagement of the war in the South West Pacific". (From Australia, in English) (Documentary Series) (Rpt) PG

Sounds good!

Thanks for your comments guys regarding the kiwis...and the sentiments are shared. We do give each other some stick at times, eh, but anyone who's lived in both countries knows just how akin we are.

There are no ANZAC parades or poppy flower pennants here in central Europe, but I always say a prayer for the boys on ANZAC day. :salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back