The Best Bf - 109 Variant ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
A spitfire's range was not that much better then the 109. Now granted the spit did develope range better. But for range in a fighter I'll take the A6M2

Lanc, a Stringbag was slow cold and did well because it was so bad. But when the Spits got to Malta the Swordfish were not flown.

yes they were, well firstly it was mainly beauforts doin the anti-shipping role, but swordfish were still used, the spit couldn't be used at a torpedo plane could it..................

I've never seen anything about trying a spit with a torpedo. I imagine the length of British torpedoes might have caused a bit of a problem.

Floats yes I have a poor picture of it. It was an experiment I think much like the Japanese and the A6M on floats. Both were looking for fighters that could patrol the islands in the Pacific as I remember before carriers were all the rage and not a lot of Island bases. But both programs were not developed.

Now if you want Sex appeal in a fighter, the Italians did have that But I would take Mae West

Float plane fighters, in general, weren't very good ideas. The drag the floats imposed serious limits on performance.

The Shiden began life as the N1K1 Kyofu ("Mighty Wind") codename: Rex.

Attachments

• n1k1-float.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,095
Both of them are nice craft, but I would just like one to be able to fly over the Maine Woods and land in some lake for a little fishing and swim. The SeaDart was an interesting project why that it was killed off was sad. SeaPlanes are just a great way to get around.

Lanc, is that one of the 4,000lb bombs that is shown in your little picture under your name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread