The Best Bomber of WWII: #4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Joe - well put. Another thought regarding the B-29 is that the case could be made that the Japanese were very close to capitulating before the Atomic bomb was dropped.. in retorspect I think the shock of Hiroshima and Nagasaki gave the political leverage necessary to push them over but we will never know.

As pointed out, it also made a huge contribution to choking Japanese freighters on the coast via the mine dropping campaign.

It was the best Weather Recon beast in the war.

The B-29 basically burned out Japan, destroying all of the cottage industries the Japanese located within their cities - burning to the ground every city the size of Nashville and up. LeMay ran out of targets and the B-29 became the closest approximation for airpower actually winning a war. We know that far too many keys to the war including Naval Airpower, Subs and Marine/Army blood was shed to make that statement 'true' but still close.

The Lancaster, the B-17 and the B-24 were each crucial to advancing airpower in Europe (ditto B-24 in Pacific) and individually Important - but individually neither the Most Important or the Best. The Me262 is not even close in this discussion.

Good morning all!

I happened upon this forum accidentally whilst doing some research on bombing accuracy and found it fascinating, so joined up. A reason I found this site was that a Google search revealed that a member of this site, called Krazy Kanuk, posted a link to a table or chart some time ago, which apparently gave bombing accuracy figures for either the Vietnam war or WW2. Regrettably that link doesn't lead anywhere now and I wondered if any of the members could give me any references to, or data regarding, bombing accuracy during those periods. If anyone could, I would be most grateful and it would assist my research considerably. Thanks in advance, Matt.

Hello, I really like this forum, my friend Bobby has told me about a few websites and I want to say , I did not know a place with hobbyists alike existed out there.

I think of the Mustang as the best fighter of WWII, just as the car is...but this account of a pilot who flew both the Jug and the Mustang was quite interesting.

P-47 THUNDERBOLT

Below i've put a summary of his 12 points

Air-cooled radial engine was more reliable and could take hits and keep on running, even with inoperable cylinders.

The Jug's air-cooled engine did not have the Achilles' heel that the Mustang did.

The P-47's big turbocharger enabled it to fly to 40 000 feet

The Jug could outdive the Mustang.

The Thunderbolt had eight .50's. The Mustang had six.

Later Jug's could carry 2,500 lbs of bombs.

The P-47 was larger and much stronger, in case of a crash landing. The Jug was built like a machined tool. Mustangs had a lot of sheet metal stamped out parts, and were more lightweight in construction.

The Thunderbolt had no "scoop" under the bottom, so it handled ditchings and gear up landings much better.

The Thunderbolt had a much larger, roomier cockpit. You were comfortable in the big Jug cockpit.

The Mustang went from 1,150-horse power Allison engines to the Packard built Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that had 1,590 hp. The Thunderbolt started out with a 2,000 hp Pratt Whitney engine, and ended up with 2,800 war emergency hp with water injection.

The Jug had a very wide landing gear

The Jug's record against all opposing aircraft is remarkable. Thunderbolt pilots destroyed a total of 11,874 enemy aircraft, over 9,000 trains, and 160,000 vehicles.

Although Mustang seems to be defeated in all these categories, I think the fascination with the classic aircraft to this day has something to do with its aesthetic appeal.

Some good points on the P47 but the Jug never had the range of the Mustang and could not get into the fight far into Germany. The F4U had many of the attributes of the Jug and could operate off of carriers so how about it for the best WW2 fighter?

Hello, I really like this forum, my friend Bobby has told me about a few websites and I want to say , I did not know a place with hobbyists alike existed out there.

I think of the Mustang as the best fighter of WWII, just as the car is...but this account of a pilot who flew both the Jug and the Mustang was quite interesting.

P-47 THUNDERBOLT

Below i've put a summary of his 12 points

Air-cooled radial engine was more reliable and could take hits and keep on running, even with inoperable cylinders.

The Jug's air-cooled engine did not have the Achilles' heel that the Mustang did.

The P-47's big turbocharger enabled it to fly to 40 000 feet

The Jug could outdive the Mustang.

The Thunderbolt had eight .50's. The Mustang had six.

Later Jug's could carry 2,500 lbs of bombs.

The P-47 was larger and much stronger, in case of a crash landing. The Jug was built like a machined tool. Mustangs had a lot of sheet metal stamped out parts, and were more lightweight in construction.

The Thunderbolt had no "scoop" under the bottom, so it handled ditchings and gear up landings much better.

The Thunderbolt had a much larger, roomier cockpit. You were comfortable in the big Jug cockpit.

The Mustang went from 1,150-horse power Allison engines to the Packard built Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that had 1,590 hp. The Thunderbolt started out with a 2,000 hp Pratt Whitney engine, and ended up with 2,800 war emergency hp with water injection.

The Jug had a very wide landing gear

The Jug's record against all opposing aircraft is remarkable. Thunderbolt pilots destroyed a total of 11,874 enemy aircraft, over 9,000 trains, and 160,000 vehicles.

Although Mustang seems to be defeated in all these categories, I think the fascination with the classic aircraft to this day has something to do with its aesthetic appeal.

And what does this have to do with the Best Bomber of WW2?!?!?:rolleyes:

Another thought regarding the B-29 is that the case could be made that the Japanese were very close to capitulating before the Atomic bomb was dropped.. i

I'm not so sure about that. Why do you think that? Their Army, Navy and Royal court were all in disarray. Capitulation... NO!

A conditional surrender... yes. There is a BIG difference.

Operation Coronet? Operation Olympia? I believe the A Bombs prevented the fore mentioned operations from becoming reality. Capitulation was not a realistic option...

no kudos for the Short Stirling

Nope, due to a stupid design spec its wing span was shortened to fit the hangers of the day, leading to wierd wing angles and large propellers, requiring a complicated landing gear that was prone to failure.

Nope, not even a passing hallo for the Stirling. Kiwis from 75 Sqn that flew it, hated it with a passion and were much happier when they changed to the Lancaster.

Ahh, it's the venerable, obsolete Fairy Swordfish for me, put the bloody Eyetie Navy out of action and mortally wounded the Bizmark she did.

Ahh, it's the venerable, obsolete Fairy Swordfish for me, put the bloody Eyetie Navy out of action and mortally wounded the Bizmark she did.

Youre kidding right?

An obsolete in 1942 torpedo bomber in the same league as the B17, B24, B29, Lanc, B25 and B26? Even the Avenger was magnitudes better than the Swordfish when it came to level bombing.

In fairness though, the Stringbag outlasted at least 2 other aircraft that were designed to replace it.

These debates always lead to no real conclusion, comparing the big heavy bombers to the smaller ones, or even the medium bombers is tough. They all fulfilled different roles in different situations.

In fairness though, the Stringbag outlasted at least 2 other aircraft that were designed to replace it.

These debates always lead to no real conclusion, comparing the big heavy bombers to the smaller ones, or even the medium bombers is tough. They all fulfilled different roles in different situations.

Evan, the Avenger outlasted the Swordfish and out performed it in every aspect in far more intense naval battles.

Youre kidding right?

An obsolete in 1942 torpedo bomber in the same league as the B17, B24, B29, Lanc, B25 and B26? Even the Avenger was magnitudes better than the Swordfish when it came to level bombing.

I am kidding, but the old Stringbag did have a profound effect upon the war effort as well as morale for Britain.
I have read "To War in a Stringbag" by Lt. Commander Lamb several times and continue to be amazed that an aircraft that couldn't reach 150mph in a dive, with a tailwind, :shock: could be so effective.

Even though the Swordfish wasn't the Best bomber of ww2, it was among the greatest bombers of ww2. We have to give it some credit.
But otherwise the best bomber was the B-29

But otherwise the best bomber was the B-29

you said b 29 ..
b 29 is one of the most recent bomber of ww2 and have incredible tecnoligies advancements,but i don't conform that is the best bomber of ww2 due to his limited number of missions that partecipated.
He don't have sufficient time to prove that is the best bomber of ww2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back