The creepy crawly thread.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eagle, same name here only in english, the cross spider from the markings on its abdomen. also diadem spider or garden spider one of the family of orb weavers

eagle, same here, except in english, the cross spider due to the markings on its abdomen. also called the diadem spider or just garden spider. one of the members of the orb weaver spiders

I'm a little late to this thread but those critters you call camel spiders I've seen in Southern and Central California. I remember them rearing up and looking mean whenever I got near one but I never bothered them, just sent them outdoors.

found this little guy making a web outside my kitchen window at home, didnt notice just how colourfull he was untill i viewed the pictures :D

Cute little dudesl aint they. I normally find one first thing in the morning when I walk headlong into a web that one the little darlings has ever so carefull spun right across the doorway / path !!.

This one was hanging out directly above where my daughter normally sits at the brekkie table. For some bizarre reason I cant figure out, she was exceedingly quick at eating breakfast !!:twisted:

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_5993.jpg
    IMG_5993.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 283
I'm a little late to this thread but those critters you call camel spiders I've seen in Southern and Central California. I remember them rearing up and looking mean whenever I got near one but I never bothered them, just sent them outdoors.

They are found in the United States as well as many parts of the world. I have seen them rear up as well, but I believe it is more of a defensive stance. They really are harmless.

Oh I believe you, they are harmless. The wife still screams and its my duty to rescue the little dude. I also was bitten by a brown recluse on my last night of basic training. Fortunately my arm only swelled up from my knuckles to my elbow. Looked like I was related to Popeye for awhile. :)

Last edited:
night fighter, if you go to post #339 you'll find a picture of the US variety, the matevenados in mexico or the deer killer in the southwest they are referred to as wind scorpions. they can and do bite if aroused, but no venom though the bite can become infected forming a large abcess

Last edited:
Rochie, i'm glad, spiders are one of our few allies in the man vs insect wars
nightfighter, why in the world they were/are called scorpions is beyond me, the are obviously NOT scorpions, don't even vaguely look like a scorpion, of course there not spiders either

Rochie, i'm glad, spiders are one of our few allies in the man vs insect wars
nightfighter, why in the world they were/are called scorpions is beyond me, the are obviously NOT scorpions, don't even vaguely look like a scorpion, of course there not spiders either

I think its because of the way these walk. You will notice that they have what looks like ten legs instead of the customary eight. They don't use the front two legs for walking like spiders do but instead hold them out in front like a scorpion holds out its claws. Perhaps its a learned trick to help it survive but with an elongated body and the two from legs held out like claws, someone might think it looks like a scorpion missing its tail..

Last edited:
Nightfighter, the front two are not legs at all but pedipalps used to capture and hold prey for the chelicerae (mouth parts) to chew up. real spiders have these too except they don't chew with the chelicerae, the chelicerae hold the fangs.
i guess a quick look but confuse but that upraised tail with its stinger is hard to miss or confuse. but then a pineapple is neither a pine nor an apple so whats in a name

OK, everyone loves spiders so - the worlds deadliest spider, the Brazilian wandering spider, or spawn of satan, or just banana spider. they are both aggressive and have a highly toxic venom that contains a neurotoxin that quickly causes loss of muscle control and breathing. other components cause severe inflammation and pain. they can be found in large banana bunches or in crates of bananas
one of the results of the toxins is (in men) is Priapism (if you don't know i won't tell) lasting for hours. needless to say drug companies are highly interested in isolating that compound

Attachments

• brazilwanderspider.jpeg
    brazilwanderspider.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 240
  • brazilian-wandering-spider.jpg
    brazilian-wandering-spider.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 285
  • P. boliviensis - adult female.JPG
    P. boliviensis - adult female.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 240
  • wandering_spider_Brazilian_Wandering_Spider_bite_pain_Erection-s600x422-84513-580.jpg
    wandering_spider_Brazilian_Wandering_Spider_bite_pain_Erection-s600x422-84513-580.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
nightfighter, the whip (vinegarroons) like the solifugae (camel) and scorpions are all members of the class arachnid which include spiders. so they are all related having the characteristic 8 legs though the front pair can be highly modified and in the solifugae the pedipaps look like a set of legs making 10 to some people.
true scorpions though have the distinctive front claws and segmented tail carried up and over the body. so yes, they do resemble each other as all belong to the same class

Sorry, I'm not argueing... Just bringing up interesting bugs. You are completely correct as to those pedipaps. Are insects a hobby of yours?

nightfighter, no please, not necessary, did not mean to lecture, so let me apologize for that. i started out in school as a pre-med which is how i ended up as a medic. when i got out and returned to school i took a degree in zoology hoping to get into med school with a BS degree.
secondly, common names have always intrigued me, like wind scorpion, i picture a glider-like scorpion swooping in tail raised on a strafing run

Nightfighter, I'm a massive font of practically useless information. and to me these kinds of discussions and exchanges, even arguments are what this forum is all about. it is what makes life so interesting. how terribly boring if we all agreed and saw things exactly the same way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back