The creepy crawly thread.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fantastic shots Gary. Did you have a good holiday in Cyprus, lovely Island, lived in Limassol for 3 years while in the RAF. That was before the invasion, but I've been back a few times since.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Cool shots, Gary!

I especially like the spider photos :thumbleft:

Here's a shot of some fish I took last year...makes ya' just want to get out the frying pan, don't it?

Attachments

• IMGP3405-rs.jpg
    IMGP3405-rs.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 609
Cheers guys. Lets see what you've got !

Here's a shot of some fish I took last year.

Crickey mate, I'm impressed !. I have enough problems with dust spot, let alone algae spots !:lol:

lmao @ "algea spots" on the lens! There's a "special" technique I use to get the fish shots, but those are very real fish and they are in the Sacramento river.

How about a few more critters, then?

IMG 1: Leaf Hopper - not the best shot, but shows some cool detail and proves you can be too close with a Macro lense...
IMG 2: Praying Mantis
IMG 3:[/IMG] Praying mantis at night...notice his eyes...
IMG 4: Young Black Widow

Attachments

• IMGP0473-rs.jpg
    IMGP0473-rs.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMGP1042-rs.jpg
    IMGP1042-rs.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 583
  • IMGP1045-rs.jpg
    IMGP1045-rs.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 580
  • IMGP3851-rs.jpg
    IMGP3851-rs.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 591
Great idea for a thread Gary!!:thumbleft: And excellent shots so far you two! :shocked!: :cool: Oh, and Harrison, please don't bash the spiders unless they are lethal please:oops: Sorry, I just think they are neat, that's all .

Last edited:
That night shot of the Mantis is spectacular. Did you use a flash on an extension ?, great lighting.
I do like the Mantis, they are pretty unique in the insect world as they have binocular vision (even though they have huge insect like eye's (Duh !). Its a very peculiar sensation when you have a Mantis on a stick or in a jar and you turn it around....the Mantis will move its head and watch you....its bl**dy spooky to be on the receiving end of a Mantis stare !!!

I've discovered an old circular 'ring' flash (fits around the camera lens) whilst ferreting around in the loft today. If it'll fit my Canon, I'm going to have some fun later on..if not, its going on the Bay

Mantis are a lot of fun. The one that I got some shots of in my thread would turn her head and watch me as if sizing me up for the next meal.:lol: I got a few from behind her with her looking back at me but they were just a little to underexposed. And Harrison, I understand. I have nightmares about blackwidows crawling all over me.:eeeeek:

Last edited:
That night shot of the Mantis is spectacular. Did you use a flash on an extension ?, great lighting.
I do like the Mantis, they are pretty unique in the insect world as they have binocular vision (even though they have huge insect like eye's (Duh !). Its a very peculiar sensation when you have a Mantis on a stick or in a jar and you turn it around....the Mantis will move its head and watch you....its bl**dy spooky to be on the receiving end of a Mantis stare !!!

I've discovered an old circular 'ring' flash (fits around the camera lens) whilst ferreting around in the loft today. If it'll fit my Canon, I'm going to have some fun later on..if not, its going on the Bay
Glad everyone likes my critters! :lol:

There are a few insects that seem to be more advanced than other insects, Praying mantises are one and there are some Grasshoppers seem to have a similiar "intellect".

I used the Pentax's onboard flash with the settings on Floral, which pulses the flash in such a way that it reduces shadowing in closeups.

I've seen those circular flashes, don't know how well they work, but it seems like a good idea...and if it doesn't work on your Canon, I wonder how well it would work on a Pentax...hehe

Actually, I've been thinking about a thread where we can discuss our cameras, techniques and equipment, I think it would be a great way to learn some new stuff and give us a chance to "show off" our gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back