The creepy crawly thread.....

That Striped Lizard looks rather bored.........
 
That Striped Lizard looks rather bored.........
Probably not bored, this is California, so he might have been a little baked though.

T!
 
I caught this in a park in Bristol, Tn. a few weeks ago. Who's watching who?
IMG_0039 resized 20 legal.jpg
 
:thumbright:
 
Aaron, tis known as an American Oil Beetle. American Oil Beetles are a type of Blister beetle. When threatened or squeezed under pressure, they emit a chemical called cantharidin that creates blisters and irritates human skin. These wounds will heal, but they are painful. This chemical defense can ward off predators and give the beetle time to escape. So I suggest NO TOUCHIE
They do not fly and are slow movers. Adults can be found walking around plants that they eat, such as buttercups, and in grass. They are active all year, but more so in the spring, when they are more likely to be seen. The larvae have a neat little trick. One will sit on flowers, waiting for a bee to land. It will latch onto the bee and be carried back to the hive. Once there, the beetle larva feeds on the same food as the bee larvae. Safe, warm, and well fed, it will pupate inside the hive and emerge in the spring.
 
If only I'd have followed that advice when I met my first non-familia female....
 
Thanks Hugh. I get lucky every once in a while.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back