The events of WWII without aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You could argue that aircraft played a major part in keeping WW1 static, it was almost impossible to make any substantial military build up without it being seen.

Something that may be of interest, is during the U.S. Civil War, it was common to have lanterns at the peak of their tents in the evening, as well as additional lanterns illuminating the interiors of officer's tents and other administration related structures, as well as cooking fires.
When the Confederates were aware of Union balloons in the area, they would either double the lanterns (and cook fires) or extinguish them entirely.

There were also a few cases where the Confederates would simply place lanterns on poles in distant locations to create the illusion that they had either moved or there was an additional force at that location.

This form of deception wasn't lost to the military as we saw similar ruses used during WWII in the form of inflatable tanks, wooden (or even straw) aircraft at mock airfields and even hangars disguised as farmhouses, etc.

Something that may be of interest, is during the U.S. Civil War, it was common to have lanterns at the peak of their tents in the evening, as well as additional lanterns illuminating the interiors of officer's tents and other administration related structures, as well as cooking fires.
When the Confederates were aware of Union balloons in the area, they would either double the lanterns (and cook fires) or extinguish them entirely..

Even before balloons, when opposing armies would encamp within sight and earshot, this deception was used to confuse the enemy as to the exact strength of the opposition. It was a technique used in the 100 years war.
Cheers
Steve

Dust from armoured columns in the desert was used for deception purposes as well conversely dust rising from an advancing column would usually serve as a giveaway of an impending attack.

in the jungles airpower was hard pressed in the recon role, but air supply took on a vastly more important position in the fighting

This is an interesting thread.

Historically speaking, the German Army advanced through Poland in 1939 at just about the same rate as it did in 1914-15. (It is noted that Poland as we know it in 1939 did not exist as a country in 1914 and therefore the dynamics are different). This was due to logistics in keeping the armored blitzkrieg going. Think of the armor can only go so far then has to return to refuel. The mechanized army can't get too far ahead of the unmechanized army and so forth.

I agree with GG's comments earlier about the French having substantially better and more numerous armor. They simply tried to utilize them in penny packet fashion (or not at all fearing loss) that essentially handed the Germans the initiative.

On the European continent, I think given the German's mastery of the railway for logistics and maneuver, and given lack of air power to hinder the rail movement, Germany may well conquer all of Europe. Excepting England. I cannot see a way forward for invading England or vice versa. Without air cover, I believe it is too easy to defend the coast either way.

Russia is another nut to crack though and may end in stalemate. Without air power, Germany grinds to a halt probably right where it did historically. They still can't reach the factories beyond the Urals. Russia I believe won't be able to overcome the now strengthened Wehrmacht (extra resources and materiel not needed in the west and south, extra $$ not devoted to air).

As far as the Pacific goes, it becomes Battle of Jutland again everywhere instead of Coral Sea or Midway. Japan obtains and keeps perhaps just a little less than they did historically even if it takes longer. They may not even bomb (attack) Pearl Harbor and that keeps US out of the war perhaps. At least for a while longer anyway. Without air, we cannot get to Japan to any degree that affects their heavy industry nor can they us. I am not sure without air power we can kick them out of many places they are entrenched.

I would assume Zeppelin and balloons would still be available so super Zeppelin dogfights!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back