The fastest police cars

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I work with Law Enforcement on a daily basis, and I see every type of patrol vehicle you can imagine. From the Crown Vic to a Toyota Highlander hybrid. Expeditions, Tahoes, pickup trucks and all types of boats, you name it, I've probably dealt with it.

The main drawback to a current LE vehicle, is space. With all of the equipment an officer needs these days, it's a miracle just finding room to mount a flashlight charging base.

The Dodge Charger is "cool" and gets high marks for the "wow" factor, but the officers don't like the blind spots. You sit so low in the vehicle, the tunnel eliminates the ability to mount a shotgun or rifle against the partition. Same goes with the Chevy Impala that they've brought back. No real room in back for the prisoner in either vehicle. We won't even talk about space and the Chevy Malibu in the same sentance...

The Crown Vic is a sturdy platform and has reasonable room for console, partition, weapons, two-way mobile workstation (laptop or fixed PC) etc...but much like the other manufacturer's vehicles, they were designed for the general public and adapted to a certain degree for Public Safety use.

The full SRS airbag setup, dashboards, composite headlamps/taillamps, doorpanels, seats and so on should have been modified for the Public Safety application that would allow for a safer install of tactical equipment. Plus with all the additional weight of the additional equipment, it's almost like putting a governor on the vehicle, that otherwise would fly like a demon. (an unoutfitted Crown Vic is wicked fast...don't quote me on this, because I'll deny we ever spoke)

So far, only one company has taken that into consideration:Police Car for Police | Carbon Motors Corporation and I'm not real sure that this machine would be an affordable solution for many of the smaller departments that are on a shoestring budget. Also not really sure about their deisel engine, though it's specs call for a top speed of 155Mph :shock:

It is extremely cool looking though, kind of reminds me of the police vehicle Stallone drove in Demolition Man...

Attachments

• Carbon_E7-sm.jpg
    Carbon_E7-sm.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3,226
Huntington Beach Police Department was running a 1969 Plymouth Superbird with a 426 Hemi as an interceptor through the 70's.

It was used to catch street racers out along the remote roads in the oil fields (Edward's Hill area). If I remember right, it was retired about 1980-81.

...and there were no "fighting" as who was to drive it? :shock:

Because of liability issues and the extreme power of the machine, there were only a couple guys qualified to drive it. When the last of the guys retired, the car was retired out of service.

Not sure what ever happened to it, but I imagine it was worth a pile of money. It was black overall, with only the letters HBPD 1 on the rear quarter panels, a red and amber light in the back window, and a steady red light by the rear-view mirror.

It really looked badass, unless it was closing in on you from behind...then it wasn't quite so cool looking
pi_freak.gif

Couple of Aussie ones -

victorian-police-evo-x-1.gif

SpeedDemon315.jpg

Standard highway patrols in Oz - VE SS Holden Commodores.
victorianpoliceholdenvesscommodore3.jpg

XR8 Ford Falcons
nswgpmXr8%202.jpg

FPV F6 Typhoons- 4Lt/6cyl turbo Ford Falcons, but from Ford Performance vehicles, Ford Australia's performance arm.
Mishoe+aussie+trip+(11).png

And they all come unmarked too :bad-words: (i got done a few weeks ago by one :p)

And these are under testing at the moment..... Very scary/cool stuff....

1,9211,5811181,00.jpg

QUEENSLAND police could soon be employing the latest in cutting-edge technology in the fight against the state's spiralling road toll.

Developed by the National Safety Agency in conjunction with partners including Holden, Motorola and Monash University's Accident Research Centre, the Emergency Services Concept Car is set to revolutionise the way police enforce the laws of the road.

Using a VE Commodore supplied by Holden, the concept car incorporates some of the most advanced communications, surveillance, audio visual and network technology.

Check out the police car's features

NSA director of operations Des Bahr said the project was initially intended to address problems with heat and power management within existing emergency vehicles.

"We spoke to police and firefighters nationally and other groups that have a lot of technology and found out it was a common issue," he said.

The team solved the problem by replacing several single devices with a powerful all-in-one computer which quickly relays information to the user.

Voice recognition software allows police to use the computer while keeping their hands on the wheel.

Front and rear cameras beam real-time footage to communications centres where a supervisor can monitor the car's speed and position, enabling better and safer co-ordination of pursuits.

An automatic number plate recognition camera on the roof is capable of detecting and reading the licence plates of passing vehicles.

Queensland Police patrolling the states' motorways could use the camera to pinpoint the licence plate of a wanted vehicle out of hundreds of cars.

A recent trial of the technology in Los Angeles found that the camera is capable of scanning 5000 to 8000 cars in a 10-hour session.

It can be used for a variety of traffic policing applications including identifying speed violations by calculating the time a vehicle takes to travel between two points, identifying unregistered vehicles, and the tracking of vehicles and drivers subject to traffic restrictions such as provisional licence holders.

The futuristic police car is capable of firing a dart with an embedded GPS transponder into a suspect vehicle.

Police can track the offender on their on-board computer and follow from a safe distance, avoiding dangerous pursuits.

The concept vehicle is being tested by emergency service agencies nationally to determine the suitability of the technology in the field, and Mr Bahr said the Queensland Police Service had shown interest.

Mr Bahr said the ESCV would improve safety.

"By providing them with greater real-time support and decision-making tools (police) are more effective in enforcing traffic and making the road a safer place," he said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back