The Food Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Things.jpg

I sent an email to Jim Beam about the ketchup and this was their response:

"Jim Beam Ketchup was created by a third party in a licensing agreement. Unfortunately we do not know much more than that about this product! From research I have done, it seems this was discontinued some time ago, and no longer available for purchase."

Damn third parties! Always messing things up!

This is what I made for a treat tonight. Poor Man's Cherry Cobbler. Only two ingredients and tastes real good especially with a dollop of vanilla ice cream. The recipe that I linked to uses apple but I mix it up with apple, cherry and peach sometimes. Impress the wife.

20230621_200848.jpg

Is there local food items that are unique to your area that you like or are interested in? Where I live, we have Blue Moon ice cream and cherry salsa.

Is there local food items that are unique to your area that you like or are interested in? Where I live, we have Blue Moon ice cream and cherry salsa.

Philly Cheese steaks. I am terrified of going across this country and encountering what everyone thinks it is. I have heard horror stories about them. I don't understand what is so hard - easy to make...... with the right ingredients.

R.jpg

Basque food probably has a local Boise pedigree, but the Basques are from Spain, so probably more native to Spain. Southern Idaho, Northern Nevada, and Southeastern Oregon together have the largest Basque population outside of Spain. Their ancestors' ticket to the USA was herding sheep and cattle. Living alone out on the Idaho high desert and foothills in what was called a sheep camp: Idaho Sheep Camp LLC - THE BASQUE

You still see sheep camps in operation all over the place.

My Catholic grade school was in the Basque part of downtown Boise, just north of the Statehouse, so I schooled with lots of Basque kids. Names like Yribar, Amorbieta, Rementeria, Galdos, Echevarria, Anchustegui. Idaho's Basque long-time former Secretary of State was Pete Cenarrusa. One of his successors was Ben Ysursa, also Basque.

In terms of other Idaho "original" fare, I've heard over and over again that Finger Steaks were invented at Milo's Torch Cafe, on the west side of downtown here. (It's now a fairly popular "exotic dancing" joint; read: "titty bar") Idaho's exotic dance joints are relatively lame - no bare nipples or genitalia allowed. Not like the full-nudity places in Portland, OR. But certainly cheerful.

Finger steaks are nice tender cuts of beef cut into strips @ 1/2 " wide or so, maybe marinated, and then battered and deep-fried. Served hot with various condiments: ranch dressing, mustard, ketchup, aioli mayo, fry-sauce, etc. (You know what fry sauce is, don't you? - a mayo and ketchup blend -another Idaho thing), salsa, etc. And of course, cold beer. If made well, finger steaks are to die for.

There are tales of University of Idaho students, who, having the munchies after a night on the tiles, drove all night from Moscow to Boise (@300 miles) to have finger steaks at Milo's Torch Cafe. They were that good.

And of course, there's the Idaho Spud candy bar, made right downtown at the Owyhee Candy Company, established in 1901.

Boise has one of the largest per-capita refugee populations in the USA, and so our local cuisine is taking on African, Asian, and Central/South American tones.

Philly Cheese steaks. I am terrified of going across this country and encountering what everyone thinks it is. I have heard horror stories about them. I don't understand what is so hard - easy to make...... with the right ingredients.

View attachment 726596
Whilst still a happy, unmarried, railroad employee, I thumbed a ride on Amtrak to Philly for a cheese steak sandwich. It was my day off. It was that or clean up my apartment. I stand by my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back