The Force Awakens...Disappointing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikewint

Captain
Feb 17, 2010
Lakeview, AR
Just wondering if there would be any interest in a thread on the new super whiz-bang Star Wars movie? Personally I'm a big fan of the Lucas-movies and whay-back-when stood in line for 4 hours to see IV A New Hope. So I had great expectations when Lucas finally gave it up. Needless to say the wanting is always better than the having. I personally find the following totally unforgivable when so much time, energy, and money was involved. SO...SPOILER ALERT stop now if you have not seen the movie. Here is my critique:
Luke destroys a Death Star; Lando destroys a bigger Death Star; Poe destroys the biggest Death Star. While we're on the topic, WHY would the First Order spend quadrillions of ???? on a concept that had failed twice before. The first two Death Stars, took the rebels a full scale invasion force and Luke's use of the force while for the larger and better protected Starkiller all that was needed was a janitor with no special skills, a few run-of-the-mill handheld explosives, a couple not very difficult X-wing blaster strikes and it helped that the Millennium Falcon was able to "fly low."
Anakin kills (the Jedi's) Younglings; Kylo Ren kills (Luke's) Younglings.
Leia, Luke, Han, and Chewie end up in a trash compactor; Captain Phasma ends up in a trash compacter.
Poe and Finn steal a ship they're not supposed to steal from a hanger (did you notice that the ship was "tied-down"?? in an enclosed building??); a young Anakin steals a ship he's not supposed to steal from a hanger.
Luke watches Obi-Wan die; Rey watches Han Solo die. In fact, both she and Finn just stand there and watch not even thinking to fire a single blaster bolt
The Emperor and Snoke both appear (at first) exclusively via holograms.
The Millennium Falcon negotiates tight spaces at top speeds in every film.
There's a den of iniquity on Tatooine, and a visually identical one on Takodana (Maz Kanata's home).
Rey climbs dangerously on the interior of a Death Star, as did Luke.
Han gets shown up (as to military and technical smarts) first by Leia, then many years later by Rey.
Obi-Wan disappears where no one can find him but Luke, then Luke disappears where no one can find him but Rey.
Kylo Ren and Darth Vader use the Force for an interrogation.
The First Order's General Hux is the same Nazi-with-a-British-accent as every Empire officer or petty official before him.
Rey falls in love (we think) with a young scamp, as did Padme.
The Resistance headquarters seems to be the same movie set as the Rebel headquarters from decades earlier.
Poe is a crack shot, like Luke.
BB-8 is the new R2D2.
Kylo Ren is related to Han, just as Darth Vader was related to Luke.
Kylo Ren has such a Force-enabled sense of where his father is in the Galaxy that when his father lands on Starkiller Base, Ren immediately exclaims to himself, "Solo!" Yet a few minutes later, when Ren is just twenty feet from Solo, he can't detect him -- and actually starts searching for him in the wrong direction.
Rey, the orphan, lives on a desert planet the twin of Tatooine. She becomes a master using the Force in just a few hours. A feat that took Luke years. She's never been in a battle but is a master with a staff. Amazingly she speaks Wookie which no one has ever done and no one is surprised, also how did she get that X-wing pilot helmet, and why doesn't she sell it for food? And why does Teedo just give Rey BB-8 after capturing the droid, given that as an experienced trader Teedo would already know that BB-8 is worth 100 times more than any random pile of junk either he or Rey could ever offer Plutt?
For more than 12 years Han looses track of his most prized possession the Millennium Falcon
Kylo Ren is the head of the Knights of Ren but somehow there are no other Knights in the entire movie
Why are all stormtroopers human, or at least humanoid? Nd why in the world do they use giant tasers and WWII style flamethrowers (couldn't be for the toy market could it?)

Last edited:
The Stormtroopers were originally clone soldiers of the Republic and were taken over by the Empire when it seized control (this goes back to the first trilogy)

The "tether" in the hangar, attached to the TIE fighter, was a supply cable: used to refuel the twin ION engine's fuel storage and upload/download system data.

By the time of the First Order any clones being raised to be Stormtroopers are no longer clones of Jango Fett, so why aren't there now Stormtroopers of every species as well as every (human) race? Why aren't there flying Stormtroopers from the same species as, say, Watto? And on that topic I'd clone me some Stormtroopers that can actually shoot straight. With these new Gomers the safest place to be is the target

Not sure of the full story behind the Clones...but they started to diversify them somewhat later on. I recall hearing about the reasoning behind that in one of the Clone Wars episodes.

The TIE pilots were supposedly clones as were the Bike Troopers and other "soldier" based assignments. You'll find that at one time, command positions were held by non-clones. As the Clones became self-aware (somewhere during the second trilogy), this changed.

Over time, this changed to a certain degree and I assume (as I haven't heard differently) that they are "humans" is because the Republic/Empire was based on that species.

As far as the flamethrowers and such...I tend to look in J.J. Abram's direction. Bright, flashy excitement for the big 3-D screen...

I did enjoy the movie,but the odd thing annoyed me.

Flamethrower why ?

Stormtrooper with cattle prod why ?

Since when can two bods fit in a tie fighter ?

Whole death star planet thingy, how would you aim that if your target was not within its rotation ?

Though i did enjoy seeing starwars on the big screen again, was 7 when a new hope came out and saw it with 20 paras in uniform as a bridge too far was sold out !

...Since when can two bods fit in a tie fighter ? ...
The TIE/sf was one of two TIE types used by the First Order and is a modern varient of the TIE series. It is a superiority fighter and is to be only piloted by elite pilots. It also included a rear gunner position.

The other TIE used by the First Order is the TIE/fo, which is a standard, single seat fighter.

The TIE/sf was one of two TIE types used by the First Order and is a modern varient of the TIE series. It is a superiority fighter and is to be only piloted by elite pilots. It also included a rear gunner position.

The other TIE used by the First Order is the TIE/fo, which is a standard, single seat fighter.
Ahhh.

As a fan of the movies only i havnt gotten into the whole starwars universe, thanks for the explanation Dave

To be honest, I follow the "human element" to a certain degree, otherwise I don't get too deep into it.

On the otherhand, I enjoy the equipment and am always digging into the details! :lol:

By the way, here is a great site where you can look up virtually anything related to the Star Wars universe.

Might come in handy trying to figure out who is who in this latest trilogy (sure helped me figure some things out)

Wookieepedia

The Star Wars universe is a place in which just a couple blaster strikes can cause anything to combust. The only reason for The Force Awakens to feature WW2-era weaponry like a flamethrower is because you want to sell toys and "Stormtroopers" with slightly updated helmets won't cut it. Enter "Flametroopers," who remind me of the bottom-of-the-barrel G.I. Joe characters of the 1980s.
Anyone see that battle involving Resistance speeder bikes and open-air First Order snowspeeders? Me neither, but there's a toy.
The technological superiority of the First Order is kind of the entire point of the film, i.e. Starkiller Base so why is it okay to send Stormtroopers into the field with laughably inept (and inapt) weaponry like giant tasers. A toy tie-in maybe?
Returning to the "Tasertrooper",: the only reason Finn doesn't die in this movie is that a Stormtrooper on Takodana inexplicably chose to fight him with a taser rather than shooting him with a blaster. This is "Indiana Jones fighting a guy with a sword with a sword"
ridiculous rather than just shooting him with a gun. It's fortunate for Finn that he's the only one who ever gets to/has to fight these Tasertrooper toys.
Oh yea, the Starkiller base. Supposedly the Starkiller Base had been constructed to allow it to suck all the energy out of a star, thousands of times its size. Do the math on that. Even in science-fiction math that is just plain silly. If the Starkiller Base is really a weaponized, orbit-locked planet that can't be flown, it has got to be the worst weapon ever boondoggled. More simply: how is this orbit-locked planet any improvement on the maneuverable Death Star I or II?

Last edited:
Exactly Guys and given the amount of time put into this film, the number of people who worked on it, and the amount of money everyone involved in it knew it stood to make such duplication and inconsistencies are unforgivable.
Now I fully understand that soap operas (space or otherwise) recreate the basic mythic plotlines long ago identified by Joseph Campbell, but was it really impossible for one of the most expensive, carefully planned, and universally invested-in movies in cinema history to not retread images, plotlines, characters, and tropes from not one but two preceding trilogies under the same title?

Exactly Guys and given the amount of time put into this film, the number of people who worked on it, and the amount of money everyone involved in it knew it stood to make such duplication and inconsistencies are unforgivable.
Now I fully understand that soap operas (space or otherwise) recreate the basic mythic plotlines long ago identified by Joseph Campbell, but was it really impossible for one of the most expensive, carefully planned, and universally invested-in movies in cinema history to not retread images, plotlines, characters, and tropes from not one but two preceding trilogies under the same title?
While i agree with you Mike, i can forgive them for not making the kiddie based disney movie i feared they would when it was announced that disney had bought the franchise

Color me a Star Wars Nerd as well, which is why I walked in with such HIGH expectations a bad thing to do for anything. So I admit I loved the film. Seriously, I did. I admit that BB-8 is cute but an oh-so-obvious toy tie-in, Finn is hilarious, Rey is badass, seeing Han and Chewie again was awesome, the special effects were tremendous, Poe is Soloesque, Kylo Ren is intriguing, and this movie makes absolutely no sense whatsoever?

I also think having such a big gap between return of the jedi and force awakens was always going to make this movie difficult, hopefully it will be a great set up for the next two !
Keep in mind that "Rogue One" is in production at the moment and will be released in December of this year.

Rogue One is about how the plans were stolen for the Death Star. Looking forward to it, to be honest.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - IMDb

The thing we have to keep in mind now...... it is Dizzney and it's commercial element is more important. Like 400 dollar watches. F'em I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back