The Guns We Own (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kevin, been in Nevernever Land so I missed your scout post. Very nice, as I recall a bolt-action based on the Mauser. Only had one bolt-action, the SMLE as I prefer semis or lever-action. The Scout looks a bit like the Mini-30 (Post #1258 which is an almost .308 just a shorter cartrige and semi-auto.

Last edited:
Hey Mike!! Great to see ya' back, buddy!

The ol' homestead was kind of quiet without you around!

I went by the gunshop today to have another look at the Springfield .45 SA pistol and the guys there (known them for quite a while) suggested a .45 that would be closer to my liking (since I am a die-hard Colt fan).

It's the Rock Island Armory 1911 .45 ACP

There's a few versions, starting with the 1911A1 GI, which is a dedicated copy of the issued Colt. However, I was eyeballing the next step up, which is identical, except a shorter hammer and an extended beavertail (that's handy for preventing loss of skin if the slide grabs that fleshy part between the thumb and forefinger).

Anyway, long story short, I bought the dang thing on the spot for $550.00 out the door and I'll be picking it up on the 21st. At that point in time, I'll be forthcoming with pics and more details.

It's gonna be like freakin' Christmas around here!

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Can't say my head is entirely straight, or ever will be for that matter. My .45 is Springfield's XDm with its double stack mag, match grade trigger and barrel and that replaceable backstrap to size it to your hand. Nothing whatsoever against the Colt it's just that name brand price hike.
I've picked up two new ones myself. Got my Henry Golden Boy in .17 HMR. What a neat little flat shooting hard hitting little cartrige. Almost instantly fragments so no worries about ricochets.
About 3mo ago picked up a .308 semi-auto. Company is PTR (Precision Target Rifle) which bought out the plans and tooling for HK's old G3. They call it the PTR-91. Roller-block action and the old-fashioned WOOD forearm and butt-stock.
Looking at Ruger's new SP-101 chambered for the new .327 cartrige. Supposed to hit harder than a .357 magnum. Nice looking gun but lousy grip on it. Charter arms also makes its version

Good buy. They are made just 20 minutes down the road here.

I will prob pick one up soon as well.

I have a Springfield XD .45 as well. Pics on page 136.

PTR-91s are a good buy,nice guns. As far as 1911's they are the Harley's of the gun world, there is so much you can do to them to personalize it it's ridiculous,most of the stuff you can do yourself thou I would leave the trigger work to a smith.

That they are, excellent firearms without a doubt, no question. My XDm came with a adjustable grip, match trigger, match barrel, two 13-round clips, a clip loader, and belt clip holder for a lot less than a basic 1911 Colt. My XDm is post #633

Ok...picked my 1911A1 up yesterday!

I must say, nothing brightens up a Monday like a new sidearm!

Anyway, I'll say that I am really pleased with it. I feel that the decision to get the Tactical over the base model (GI) was a good move. The GI model is a faithful copy of the Colt and for a few bucks extra, the Tactical has the shortened hammer and a nice beavertail (ever lose a chunk of skin when the slide's action caught it during recoil?) and gnurling on the back of the handgrip frame. Plus the trigger comes Smithed as a factory feature and has an extremely sweet feel to it.

It also comes with an 8-round magazine and a pair of rubberized grips although the wood grips are attractive. I'll be putting my custom wood grips on it, that were made for the 1911A1 I used to own ages ago...they are Purpleheart Mahogany and form-fitted to my hand.

Anyway, as promised...gun-p0rn!!

The box-O-fun

The ol' Slabsides by itself

And here it's shown with it's 8-round magazine. Notice I have placed my Colt 7-round magazine alongside for comparison. By the way, any parts or accessories that will fit on a Colt 1911A1 will fit on this. From the Colt .22 LR conversion, right down to the grips and magazine.

Good buy. Really nice.

I am in the process of buying an AR-15 at the moment.

After that I have to get my wife a handgun, before she will let me buy anything else. Will be either a Springfield or Rock Island 1911 though.

The Springfield is really nice, there's no question. However, for $850 (+/-), I couldn't see the advantage over the Rock Island...

Some people were suggesting a Kimber, but in my opinion, over-rated and over priced.

Bottom line, I am extremely satisfied with my Rock Island.

That's me to Mike I like semi's but something about a bolt with a ten round mag out the bottom Now my next grab before summer is over is a BM 59 clone.I had the real macoy back in 07 but cut it loose and now they go for r 2x what I sold it for;so the clone : Purchase Refurbished Rifle And M1 Garand ? Garand Guy

Mike checked out those PTR's nice rig could definitely go for one of those in wood

Some pics of the BM 59 I cut loose in 2007 ...

Attachments

• gun1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 138
  • bm59%20002%20(533%20x%20400).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 129
  • bm59%20005_edited%20(533%20x%20400).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 120
  • bm59%20003%20(533%20x%20400).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 127
  • bm59%20007_edited%20(600%20x%20219).jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Well after several "I'm gonna buy one - I'm not gonna buy one" conversations to myself I finally broke down and bought a new M1911 from an on-line gun auction site last night.
Was deliberating between a Ruger SR1911 Commander and a full size Remington R1 Enhanced. Both review well, but decided for the price difference between the two I went for the Ruger. Will not have it in my grubby little hands for a week or so, but this is what it should look like.

Nice collection.
Just got the Tracking number for mine. Should be in my FFL holders hands early next week, and then in mine soon afterwards. Then it's tearing it down, giving it a good cleaning and inspection (I never shoot a new gun without cleaning and looking it over first), then off to shoot it next weekend most likely.
I've already got a few changes that will be made, like an ambidexterous thumb safety (being a lefty this is a must for a 1911). Probably replace all the black hardware with stainless at some point down the road as well.

Users who are viewing this thread