The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

View attachment 308627

Took a First Shots Class at my local indoor gun range.

First Time shooting a gun. Smith Wesson M&P .22 Compact.

Whats the distance on that?I P/U the STG 44 in 22LRHV I was impressed at the groups from 65-70 yds off the side of a tree.

Mike my G43 and FN49 like to kink that brass makes it tough on the longevity of reload .

Last edited:
mike...if you don't reload then it isn't an issue. I did reload for awhile so need the brass to be in as good of shape as possible. the 91 beats the snot out of brass. puts a healthy ding in the side...hence I bought the buffer. but I have never had an issue with my 91 or 94 eating any kind of ammo. I love those guns. I would like to get a Williams set trigger for my 91 someday.

Thanks guys. Like I said it was my first time.

I didn't ask the distance the target was, but it wasn't far. It was an indoor range. I think it was about 10 yrds maybe. I could've gotten tighter, but they only gave us 20 rounds.

It was standard class for those who've never shot a gun.

I have to say I liked the gun. Not to much kick in the .22. Eventually, I'd like to put a few rounds through my Ruger single six. I only have the .22mag cylinder though. But, for target shooting I think the ruger will be just the thing. Eventually, I'd like to get a Five-Seven.

Last edited:
That's not bad Chief when I first saw MP I thought MP5 (rifle guy)Handguns for me are tough to get proficient at I have one SPfield 45 in the WWII configuration.

I think that's why my grandfather gave me the Ruger Single Six in .22 mag.

When I can find and afford the ammo I'd like to take that out.
But, that's difficult with going to school full time.

I think if you can get proficient enough with a pistol/revolver.
All the better for home defense since you can have a hand free if you need.

Of course that's my opinion.

I did the majority of my target shooting with a 22. ammo is cheaper and the mechanics are the same. if you cant hit it with a 22 you aren't going to do any better with a larger bore. once you tighten your hit radius then go for bigger stuff and see if recoil and flinch have any effect on you.

You also have to keep in mind some people are fit for different types of firearms.
Some people are fit for Pistols
some are Revolvers.
Then it's a question do you like single or double action?
Do you like have higher power or do you like accuracy and precision?

I think ultimately I'll go the revolver route. It's early though.

I agree with you bobby socks. .22 is a great round. Not to much kick. Easier to keep on target. Not to pricey. Great for experimenting.

I think the neatest thing I've seen in .22 was a belt fed Machine gun. Cloth belt. I saw it at Cabela's one time when I was there.

American arms (?) made an AR 180 what looked kind of like a Thompson with a lewis gun type drum on top. back in the "good ole days" when you could get a class 2 manufacturer to make one full auto a lot of these were converted. 22s are always prone to jams and the AR 180 was no exception but it was a hell of a lot of fun to rip off a 100 round drum with one of these. revolver vs pistol still depends for me on the maker. I do not like smith pistols. they do not feel good in my hand....I love their revolvers. I love colt autos but not their revolvers. I love just about every ruger handgun. I like double action because I can shoot both ways as a SA or DA....but would get the trigger worked on if it was too heavy of a pull.

Just to weigh in. .22mag in an awesome round especially from a pistol. It sounds like a cannon and the muzzle flash is 3ft in diameter. The Keltec PMR-30 .22WMR is a semiautomatic with a 30 round clip and a Pic-rail for laser or flashlight. FN's FIVE-seven is also a very nice handgun but the ammo is expensive and not easy to find.
Revolvers are simple, easy, and rarely jam BUT, in general only 6 rounds. Ruger's SP101 in .32mag is a very potent weapon and the .32mag is supposed to have the same impact as the .357. In addition you can shoot plain .32 and .32Long.
There is another thread on "Experience with Weapons" that covers this as well. Now as to "Home Defense", most any homebound situation is going to be an "across a room" confrontation with adrenaline pumping. I maintain that in that scenario a shotgun is hard to beat. While most insist on 12ga. my preference is Mossberg's SA-20 semi-auto in 20ga. The 20ga shell delivers the impact of 2 .44mag rounds without the danger of shooting through several walls. The gun is light, easy to maneuver, and has less recoil than the 12ga. ideal for "in the house".
Bobby, we depart on handguns. I love my Python in .357 and my "Custer Colt" SAA in the old .45Long. I personally find DA distracting and have never fired my Python in DA mode. Besides SA slows you down and makes you think and aim before shooting. The semi-autos promote the "spray and pray" policy

Last edited:
I have small hands so some guns I cant bring to battery comfortably. i am not much of a revolver man....the majority of what I have are semi auto pistols. in them I use a dutch mix of glazer safety slugs and HP. the glazers are pre-fragmented and will go through one sheet of dry wall but not exit through the other...likewise it will enter a gallon jug of water and not exit but will expand tremendously! I like that for home defense. what I like about a pistol over a shotgun is more rounds and the ability to reload quicker. I am not going to spray and pray as I will not go down stairs and look for who is in my house. I will position myself with cover at a choke point, like a hallway, after I have thrown a set of keys outside for the cops to use to get in. I will let the law do what they are supposed to do ( if they get there in time ) and I will do what I have to do to not become a victim.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Ruger Precision Rifle in a .308, thru a Zeiss 6.5-20x50 on it and now all I need is some time and oh yeah have a Sig p229 on the way. I still would love to have a Python and a P38 and or Luger. Maybe on day.

p38s are sweet. if you buy one spend the extra $$ to get matching serial numbers. back in the late 80s early 90s they supposedly found barrels of 08 ( luger ) and 38 parts in a long forgotten warehouse, a tunnel, whatever which they assembled into working firearms and started flooding the market with them. they didn't have the usual finish but were phosphate coated ( like an old AR 15 ) iirc and were a hodge podge of serial numbers. some may have the eagle with swastika and some not. they only were able to make so many and so the supply ran out within a year or so. but those "mutts" are still floating around out there. I kick myself for not buying one of those 08s. about the same time someone found a bunch of mauser broomhandles in china or somewhere and was selling those cheap too. you could get the long or short barreled version... I shoulda pounced on one of those too.....errrr!

I remember the P38's coming in but also some that were from existing stock of some PDs that were being decommissioned with holster for $249.00 they were like 60s-70s production.

... about the same time someone found a bunch of mauser broomhandles in china or somewhere and was selling those cheap too. you could get the long or short barreled version... I shoulda pounced on one of those too.....errrr!
My Grandfather had a "red 9" C96 (M1916) and my family members lost track of it after he passed away (shortly before I was born).

I kept hoping it would pop up, as I have gotten several other arms of his over the years, but no such luck, I'm afraid.

I had many opportunities over the years to pick up a standard C96 or a "red 9", but passed them by figuring one day, I'd have my Grandfathers. Now, I kick myself in the ass for waiting...

I have reopened this thread for discussion.

I have also removed the posts that got it closed in the first place. Do not let this thread be closed again for dabling into politics.

You all know there is a strict no politics rule on this forum. The reason being, it always gets out of hand and people start making personal insults. We mods grew tired of asking people to stop with the insults, just to be ignored.

We mods stand unified on this.

Talk guns all you want. Keep the politics out of it.

If politics comes back into this again, the thread will be closed permanently, and the offenders will get some time off. Please don't ruin it, we mods don't enjoy having to do that.

Thanks for your cooperation, and firearm away...:D

I got my new AR-15 in the time this thread was closed. Had it since February, but not had a chance to shoot it yet. Bought a nice red dot scope sight (with Night Vision) from a friend of mine. Still need to zero in.

Thks Chris wish I had a pic of a new acquisition but times have been tight.I almost get there and something comes up"called life" :)

I know how that is...

It's sometimes quite interesting reading what you guys own and shoot.
With the firearms laws as they are in the UK these days, anything more than an air weapon, or if you're lucky, a very basic rifle, is virtually impossible to own and use. Darned shame, as I spent most of my life from the age of 7 shooting and, until fairly recently, lecturing on infantry weapons a couple of times a month.
I recently sold my only remaining 'live' weapon, and that was only a Beretta CO2 pistol, as I could no longer squeeze the trigger due to the bl**dy arthritis, and now all I have left is the de-activated Type 56/1 shown below, which can be cocked and stripped, but will never fire again.

AK 47 Type 56 003.JPG

Look's Pretty Nice Terry.I have a want for the VZ58 which is quite abit different inside and has a forged receiver as opposed to the stamped steel.It's been probably three months since I have been shooting Chris and I think I kind of over did it for the old Man Joe that day(75yrs old) I think I shot for about three hours that day.The STG44(replica) was alot of fun that day could squeeze off 25rds in 10-15s and group it in 3-5"(40-50yds) standing leaning against a tree.I had to slow down the ammunition expenditure since it's near impossible to reload 22rim.It can be done read an article on it and really sounded like more of a pain than it's worth.A VZ58 pic...
sa58v.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back