The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wouldn't care what brand it was for that price. The problem being that here in California things have become way too restrictive. I can't even buy ammo without paying through the nose for a back ground check.

The second amendment right to keep and bear arms has never limited the number of hoops you must jump through to exercise that right. The big hole in the amendment is ammo. There is no right to keep or buy ammunition and without ammo you have an unwieldy club. I'm sure that the criminal element in Kalifornia have all the guns and ammo they want.
I few years back while visiting Chicago I stopped at a large gun store. I wanted to snoop around and had intended to buy cleaning supplies. I was stopped at the door and asked for my FOID card (Firearm Owners Identification Card). Pulling out my Arkansas drivers license I explained to the door guard that I did not and could not have one as I did not live in Ill-noise. To my surprise, it mattered not, no FOID no entrance. Bur-o-cracy!!!

Just to clarify a few facts:
California Prop. 63 has several laws coming into effect, but aren't active as of yet. These include:
Firearm owners must report firearm theft within 48 hours or face criminal charges.
Ownership of detachable magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will be prohibited as of July 2017.
Firearm owners will be required to have a DOJ permit for ammunition ownership as of January 2018.
Gun Shops will be required to perform background checks for ammunition purchases as of January 2019.

However, New York already has similar laws in effect and several states on the eastern seaboard have strict laws like this, too.

Watching this thread closely. If it just slightly dabbles into politics (which a few of you are starting to with the way you are wording your posts), I will shut the thread down permanently.

I could only afford this @2-3K tops probably going to hit 5-6K but it would be really nice to add;this is really a high end auction they have an FG42starting @75K.I will put it on the watch list though the ZK-420 of course..;)
PROVENANCE: From the Estate of World Renowned British Rifle Collector Robert W. Faris.

*EXTREMELY RARE HIGH QUALITY C... Auctions Online | Proxibid

**EXTREMELY SCARCE KRIEGHOFF F... Auctions Online | Proxibid

**U.S. MACHINE CORPS M3 37MM A... Auctions Online | Proxibid

Last edited:
I want that anti-tank gun...the deer herds around here are getting W A Y out of hand...
Mike I think that might be a tad to much :) Some info on Mr.Faris IF I can then this will be the second rifle to come out of a good collection with providence for me in the last couple year last one was Jerry Kuhnhausen's collection.

Breaking News: Bob Faris, 1930-2012

That Bob Faris interview
All you need is a .22lr with a silencer lol;)

Just a tad light and illegal. Even the AR round is kinda light unless you have excellent shot placement. Following a blood trail through the neighborhood is not a good thing. I'm a 30-30 guy myself
The Bob Faris interview reminded me of when we bought the "deactivated" war souvenir Thompson for $25 at Kleins in Chicago. New barrel and a couple of weeks picking the lead out of the breech with dental picks and bingo a functioning gun. Good Times

Mike my boss use to take down deer on the edge of his property with a HR17 as you said shop placement neck/spine dropped like a rock.

Kevin, I would question his claims. The little polymer-tip rimfire .17HMR round is a flat shooter and great for rodents (squirrels are rats that live in trees and rabbits are rats that live underground). I love my Golden Boy 17 but deer? The little .17 does not hit much harder than a .22LR
The .223 hits 7 times harder (and I consider it light for deer), the 30-30 hits 8.5 times harder, and the 30-06 15 times.
Consider the following ballistics:
.17 HMR 17gr. V-Max BT 2550fps 50yds 186ft-lb
100yds 137ft-lb

.22LR 40gr. CCI Velocitor 1435fps 50yds 136ft-lb
100yds 105ft-lb

.223 Rem 69gr. Win HPBT 3060fps 50yds 1292ft-lb
100yds 1158ft-lb

30-30 Win 170gr. Win Silvertip 2200fps 50yds 1583ft-lb
100yds 1359ft-lb

30-06 Spfd 180gr. Win Silvertip 2750fps 50yds 2833ft-lb
100yds 2647ft-lb

Most anything will work right up until it doesn't.

Had a relative that "claimed" he had to stop his car for a deer in the road, He got out with a High Standard .22 pistol and when the deer didn't move he fired one round at the deer. the Deer fell over, He said he about fell over too, in surprise. He hit in the head, He wasn't aiming at the head. :)

I have also chased all over a Vermont mountain after a deer leaking blood from multiple buckshot wounds from another "hunter" in our party (never trust anyone who empties his gun every time he even glimpses a deer) When we finally found it (and finished it off) it had been running on 3 legs as one of it's legs had been broken by one of the multiple hits.

Use enough gun to make up for minor errors and go to the range enough to make sure your errors are minor.

I don't know Mike the guy is an AVID hunter.His house has a corridor from the kitchen to wash room with a window in the corridor it's probably under a 100 yards to the edge.Now I only heard him mention doing this once with a 17 and it was early morning and it was killed and gutted before 7AM.I never had no reason to doubt his honesty Mike he was the fairest by many leagues of any DM I have worked for in 30yrs all his mangers respected him;hence he continues to move up the chain of command.

.22lr has been a poachers tool for a long time, my comment was just a joke since I detest poachers and don't condone their methods. With a .17hmr or .22lr it would have to be a perfect head shot, I prefer my .300wsm..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back