The Guns We Own (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Some pics of the EnField never been fired and all matching to the mag which was shipped separate from the rifle maybe some kind Cali law?The silver tag on the trigger looks to be some kind manufacturing ID or armorer ID?Terry might knowView attachment 377322 View attachment 377323 View attachment 377324 View attachment 377325 View attachment 377326 View attachment 377327

Very nice but going by your photos it looks like it could be a factory refurb with Parkerized metal parts and Beech woodwork it should be blued and with Walnut it its a new Fazakerley built Mk2. Unless it is an Irish contract No4 Mk2 they had Beech woodwork and there were quite a few that never got issued.

I have a full wood 1916 Lee Enfield complete with bayonet which I purchased for 90$ using the required FAC permit. Decades later they changed the purchasing rules and then changed the rules again so I am not even sure if I'm still allowed to possess it. If the federal government is looking in.....I do not own a full wood 1916 Lee Enfield with bayonet. I am happy to say though, it is not at my residence as I don't own a gun locker and buddy is tending it for me

You got it SN# matches the Irish contract never issued with cosmoline still in the on the front sight and other recesses including in the barrel.;)

Sweet the Fazakerley Mk2s are very very nice. I am not at all jealous:( my No4 is looking very shabby these days but still shoots well with a nice trigger so while it works I am not touching the woodwork.

Sweet the Fazakerley Mk2s are very very nice. I am not at all jealous:( my No4 is looking very shabby these days but still shoots well with a nice trigger so while it works I am not touching the woodwork.
This will never be fired with the inventory tag(?) she's a wall hanger.The top three mausers not fired except for the Gustav maybe couple hundred rds I guess barely a ring on the bolt then the Enfield and carbine.

Attachments

• woodwork 001.JPG
    woodwork 001.JPG
    624.5 KB · Views: 135
Hello Javlin.
The rifle on the bottom has me wondering. Is it a FN-49 with a BAR magazine conversion or something else?
Nice bunch of toys you got there!
After your post with the Winchester Self Loader, I was looking around for my copy of "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions".
There might be a reasonably cost effective way to get ammunition for .32 WSL.

- Ivan.

Hello Javlin.
The rifle on the bottom has me wondering. Is it a FN-49 with a BAR magazine conversion or something else?
Nice bunch of toys you got there!
After your post with the Winchester Self Loader, I was looking around for my copy of "Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions".
There might be a reasonably cost effective way to get ammunition for .32 WSL.

- Ivan.
It's a matching FN-49 Argentine Navy contract the only contract with a detachable mag and was originally a 7.62X53 and they were converted to Nato later.The contract consist of about 5K rifles of which 1200-1600 came into the states about 1995 or so I got it with the bayo for $695 in 95.The rifle functions extremely well can take some abuse in rapid fire being all forged but it's a battle rifle 4" groups @100yds it does what it was designed to do,a blast to shoot FAST.I do think that some Venezuelan rifles were converted to a mag in 7MM? The carbine came out of Jerry Kuhnhausen collection of which about 500 of what I would call the BS guns were up for sale(thinking private sales p/u the best before auction) while not an original WWII GI issue it is made of all USGI part on a new Springfield receiver(forged) of which only 3000 were made( Springfield Armory ) Jerry built it(provenance to me) and it's never been fired I got it cheaper than the what you pay for an Auto Ordnance even with auction fees!

Not alot about Jerry floats out there just he was one of the best gunsmith in the country for awhile.A quote from someone else:

A few years ago, due to the interest in him, I wrote to the NRA Dope Bag and asked what they knew.

They said that he'd passed away some years ago, and that little was known about him because of his very private nature.

About all that's known for sure is that he ran a large gun shop and custom gunsmithing business, and that he trained gunsmiths for the industry, including the big gun companies.

The gun company training was the reason he was very specific about doing work the factory way.
That's why you don't see any of the old "make it work....SOMEHOW" methods like heating and bending of parts, silver soldering, and making expedient parts.
Kuhnhausen's theory was that a gunsmith should restore a gun to factory new condition.

The Argentinian Navy converted some of their FN-49s to have a 20rd magazine
FN Model 1949 - Wikipedia
Just found that myself on orders from the Navy I guess to go with the Army's .308

Contrary to some speculation FN did not contract or produce the Argentine conversion of SAFN 1949 rifles from 7.65×53mm Argentine to 7.62mm NATO. While FN did receive and then later deliver an order for a conversion of a single rifle in March 1967 the remaining armory stock of the Argentine rifles were converted domestically by Metalúrgica Centro a company formerly known as Fábrica de armas Halcón. Metalúrgica Centro provided and installed in each rifle a new barrel in 7.62mm NATO, modified each ejector, and modified each trigger guard to take a new 20 round detachable box magazine. The converted rifles were provided with proprietary 20 round detachable box magazines manufactured by Metalúrgica Centro to fit the SAFN 1949 rifle conversions. The 20 round steel magazines are proprietary but were made to share the magazine loading charger with the FN FAL rifle used by the Argentine Army.[1] These chargers are the same as for the Mauser Kar-98k, and thus not interchangeable with standard NATO stripper clips

The rifle functions extremely well can take some abuse in rapid fire being all forged but it's a battle rifle 4" groups @100yds it does what it was designed to do,a blast to shoot FAST.

Hello Javlin.
The other gun that attracted my attention was the G43/K43. Those are pretty hard to find with a scope.
I actually had no idea Kuhnhausen was dead, but I didn't really know much about him other than that he was a very good gunsmith and author. I still have a bunch of his books and pick them up whenever I find them at a decent price.

The FN-49 like most semi-autos is a bit picky about ammunition but if the barrel is in decent condition you should be doing better than 4 inch groups at 100 yards. I was getting closer to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with mine.
Those guns do have forged receivers and look pretty sturdy but are a bit more delicate than one might suspect.
The worst part is the firing pin. It breaks pretty easily. I think I have broken two. Absolutely NEVER dry fire these guns.
Eventually they switched to two piece firing pins but I have never actually seen one of those.
The stock on my gun is pretty beat up to the point where I believe I should replace it. It is so soaked in oil that it can not be repaired easily. (The fore end has a serious crack and has already been repaired once.)

I also had a 7.62 NATO conversion at one point but this was done by a local gunsmith rather than an armoury and he did not do as good a job as he could have. The gun never functioned reliably regardless of how the gas port was adjusted.

- Ivan.

The G43 is a matching rifle with the original sling as for the scope K43 is an original late production I p/u separate years later and the mount a cheap repo.I have seen original mounts with the scopes and they go for 2K+ and that was years ago when I was looking hate to see what they are going for now!I still have the original gas port(cracked) but have a shooters kit in it now which seemed was a weak point on the two piece port.This rifle shoots pretty good could use a recrown but I dare not touch it.I have about 12-14 other rifle in the shop out back those are shooters VZ24,M1a,WH Thompson(semi),o3 Corona,Ruger Scout etc......I want to bring them back inside for safety and a better environment as far as climate control.

Hello Javlin,
Who made the repro scope mount? I am a bit curious.
My understanding when talking with a fellow who owned a few G43/K43 was that the locking tabs were the weak part of the system. I suppose there were quite a few vulnerable areas during that stage of the war.
What is a WH Thompson? Auto Ordnance Semi? My experience with those is that they do not function with regular commercial .45 ACP but function fine with GI Ball. The chronograph explains why: Out of a regular 5 inch M1911, the commercial stuff only averages slightly above 800 fps with 230 grain while the military stuff is a bit faster than 850 fps if I remember right. It has been a few years since I chronographed .45 ACP stuff.

Gotta run. My Wonderful Wife has just demanded the use of my Computer.

- Ivan.

Just found this thread, some really nice stuff out there. I only have a Springfield Arms 1911 and a AR-15 (tapped out my own lower receiver. Both are really nice shooters and nearby at arms length. We Texans have a thing with our firearms.

Who made the repro scope mount? I am a bit curious.--I believe they were reproductions coming out of Czech I paid like $139 some reason none show except a cheaper version on Sarco now.

What is a WH Thompson? Auto Ordnance Semi?--Yeah it functions well is 1985 production before Kahr arms took over and they still made FA still not the the quality of the AO back in the day.I have the wood and barrel from a kit out of Russia I want to do an SBR one day.

The gun I've always wanted to own was a German Navy Luger. They had
a very long barrel, I'm guessing about ten inches. I saw a couple at gun
shows, but I would have had to mortgage the house to own one.

Glider, those match rifles are beautiful....

Charles
Resp:
The Naval Luger had a 6 inch bbl (had a two level adj rear sight on toggle); the Artillery Model had an 8 inch bbl. The first service in Germany to adopt the Luger was their Navy (1904?).

Just picked up a S&W .357 revolver. Also have a S&W 59 9mm but the thing keeps stove piping so I moved over to a revolver. Hate to have to NEED a gun and then have it go "ploink" after the first shot. Plus I don't have the time to recycle the mags.
Resp:
Revolvers handle neglect better, while automatics handle abuse better. Revolvers (swing out cylinder double action) are surprisingly fast to reload, using speed loaders (round gadgets that hold 5, 6, 7 or 8 ctgs). Yes, there are 7 and 8 shot 357 Magnums out there. I recommend practicing with dummy rounds over your bed. Use three fingers; the thumb, index and adjoining finger . . . to grasp the round body of the speed loader. Grip revolver (w R hand) and with cylinder opened )at waist level) tilt barrel directly away from you & down at about 45 degrees. Using L hand, and the 3 fingers only over the opened cylinder . . . Gently rotated it until the cartridges start to drop in. Then quickly Turn knob of Speedloader and the cartridges (under gravity) will drop into cylinder. Immediately let go of sppeadloader (it will fall out of the way on its own) and close cylinder with L hand. To unload, swing out cylinder and as you point the muzzle straight up, push the ejector rod. Revolvers are getting more attention, as I am seeing the auto guys suddenly wanting at least one revolver. I always recommend a stainless 357 with a 4 inch barrel. In my country, a neighbor may only have 357 ctgs to lend, so even if you only plan on shooting the lesser powered 38 Special . . . it would be wise to have a gun that will handle the Magnum also. There is no magazine to lose, and springs just don't need to be replaced like automatics do. Load it, and put it up until needed. Ammo shelf life is easily 50+ yrs in a controlled climate. Also, if you cannot bring yourself to own a gun that fires a revolver ctg, Ruger (9mm) and Charter arms (380, 40 S&W) make revolvers in auto calibers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back