The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Renrich

Things for reloading are getting tough to find,especially primers. Most of the popular calibers are sold out at places like Natchez,Midwayusa,midsouthshooters supply and cabela's...Just about everything is on backorder.

Things for reloading are getting tough to find,especially primers. Most of the popular calibers are sold out at places like Natchez,Midwayusa,midsouthshooters supply and cabela's...Just about everything is on backorder.

Since Obama took over the DoD is no longer able to sell once fired 5.56 brass to Natchez, etc. All being ground up and sold to china at pennies to the dollar when compared to prior prices in US for once fired brass.

Does anybody think this is a coincidence?

Colin - it is pretty simple - and safe.

A Reloading press, a bullet seating press, a powder scale are the fundamental requirements. If you could buy them - maybe 50-100 pounds would do it for used but perfect equipment. RCBS would be the focus but Redding and many others are very good.

Depending on the load and type case 10 re-loads for non magnum is a good rule of thumb for even close to max loads. The most prominant causes for case failure are cracks around the case mouth and enlarged primer pockets.

I used to throw out my brass at 5 re-loads for my target quality rifles but now I keep for at least ten and then only discard when the above two conditions (either/or) arise.

I have been reloading for nearly 50 years and never had an unpleasant experience - either rifle, shotgun or pistol. When I was active in International Skeet and Trap compettion I would shoot 1000 rounds per week. Reloading made that feasible.

I find that the best reason (for me) for re-loading is ability to tune for the hunting bullet weight and type I want (for rifle). For punching holes I frequently gravitate to Sierra Matchking and for hunting Nosler (Ballistic tips and Accubond and partitions) or A-Square solids. It's all about what I want to kill.

I don't releoad shotgun anymore because factory and re-load prices are close. 28 ga and .410 a different story

Well, in keeping with getting rid of zombies during the apocalypse ...I upgraded the paintball gun with parts from my actual Spyder. New barrel means I MIGHT be able to hit something 10-20 feet away, and the trigger means I can rattle out 25-30bps.

On a side note, the guns I have fired are a Enfield MV Jungle carbine (matching serial and everything), A Colt .357 with hollow points and "normal" bullets, and finally a Spanish pistol (Largo or something) that could safely fire any 9mm or .380 semi-auto bullet safely. It looked like a freakin squirt gun, but it was awesome to shoot.

The Lee Enfield is really nice to shoot, it has a very mild kick and good accuracy, a great rifle. Also it's got an unusually smooth bolt operation.

Yes it does. While some chastise it as an abomination, it is actually one of my most prized rifles. And the bolt is really smooth, even though I only have about a hundred rounds through my mint rifle. A wonderful bit of engineering she is.

Drgondog, they actually changed that about the used brass,all back to normal and surprise it was done by some North Dakota Dem senators.

For others that may not have noticed, please observe that the magazine in the FN-49 isn't stock. The stock one is a non-detachable rounded box holding only 10 rounds. I have seen details about a conversion to use BAR magazines and mag does look like one from a BAR

From what I understand this was the only contract FN did like this for the Argentine Navy and the only one in .308 and a detachable mag.The FN was either a 30-06 or as Ivan mentioned in 8mm.Now some Venezula rifles were done in 7mm but I can not remember if there armory did it or not?I have not heard that about the pin Ivan all I can say is I am tougher on that rifle than my M1a or any other for that matter and she has never never hiccupped.Do not worry Ivan about the 10" barrel all one has to do is go through local PD for a sign. and the paperwork to the ATF with a $200 check.Cheers Kevin

The Lee Enfield is really nice to shoot, it has a very mild kick and good accuracy, a great rifle. Also it's got an unusually smooth bolt operation.
My grandpa(who is a Marine veteran of the PTO and is still living) swears by the .303. He builds rifles using the Enfield action as well as the Mauser. But his preference for many years has been the .303 and has brought down many large game in the Rockies using this cartridge. As a matter in fact this year will be his last hunt he says, after all he was born in 1922.

All true, unless you're using the Jungle carbine (like I was). It had a rubber but plate just to absorb some of the recoil, and I could never get 2 rounds even close together even when I aimed at the previous impact.

All true, unless you're using the Jungle carbine (like I was). It had a rubber but plate just to absorb some of the recoil, and I could never get 2 rounds even close together even when I aimed at the previous impact.

I have owned several Mk III and IV in my younger days. Good cartridge. The two piece stock was always a problem in obtaining the kind of accuracy I wanted.

Hello Javlin,
If you already know about NFA guns and the paperwork to get them registered, that's great. A suggestion about the Thompson though. You might want to consider modifying the magazine catch to take USGI stick magazines. I believe this is a better option than modifying each magazine. The depth of the semi-auto receiver is not as great as the full-auto version and puts the magazine about 1/8 inch lower. Folks often just elongate the magazines' holes, but I believe this is not the best way. (Then again, you probably already know this!)

Regarding FN-49's, I personally have fired the 7.92, .30-06, and the 7 mm AND one converted to fire .308 Winchester with a 2-groove Springfield barrel turned down. The 7 mm was made by FN and not a conversion. They also made 7.65 Mauser and probably a few others but not in great quantities.

- Ivan.

Regarding Lee Enfield accuracy:
These rifles if set up properly are no less acurrate than the M1 Garand. I personally have shot 1.5 inch 5 shot groups with the rather poor open sights on a No.1 Mk.III*. Unfortunately I didn't do any better with the better sights on No.4.

The military tends to set up these guns with fairly long headspace. IMHO this is not good on a target gun, especially with a flexible receiver as on these guns.

On the No.4 the bolt heads are replaceable. They come in sizes marked 0,1,2,3. Do not buy a rifle that already has a 3 bolt head unless you can verify the headspace is tight. There are a couple ways to "regulate" this rifle. See the attachment for the method used by the Canadians.

On the No.1 Mk.III and Mk.III* (* only means the magazine cutoff was deleted), the barrel should NOT contact the muzzle cap. There is a spring that holds a barrel loop not visible unless the guns is disassembled. There is a screw head underneath the rifle that tensions this spring. This spring is fairly crucial to accuracy on this gun and the gun won't shoot if the spring has taken a set. The spring can be replaced with a small piece off of a M1 Garand recoil spring if necessary. The bolts heads aren't numbered, but perhaps a combination can be found with replacement parts to correct headspace if needed.

Hope this helps someone out there.
- Ivan.

Attachments

• Canadian_LE_Accuracy_Large.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 212

This is the Lee Enfield I was talking about. Even according to historical reports, the zeroing of the rifle shifted from day to day, and usually without weather or outside cause. On a side note, my friend is going to let me shoot the accurized version of the Mosin Nagant (can't remember which nation made them), that he is thinking about putting on a Russian scope from the period.

The Mosant Nagant is Russian and you guys are probably going to be shooting the long rifle 91/30 and not the carbine version.The 91/30's were the one's usually outfitted with the scope and get ready kicks like a mule.I might of put all of 30rds through mine in 5yrs.

Users who are viewing this thread