The Guys' Rules

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hunter368

Tech Sergeant
Nov 5, 2005
Winnipeg
The Guys' Rules
At last a guy has taken the time to write this all down

Finally, the guys' side of the story.
( I must admit, it's pretty good.)
We always hear"the rules" From the female side.

Now here are the rules from the male side.
These are our rules!
Please note: these are all numbered "1" ON PURPOSE!

1. Men are NOT mind readers.

1. Learn to work the toilet seat. You're a big girl. If it's up, put it down. We need it up, you need it down. You don't hear us complaining about you leaving it down.

1. Sunday sports. It's like the full moon or the changing of the tides. Let it be.

1. Shopping is NOT a sport. And no, we are never going to think of it that way.

1. Crying is blackmail.

1. Ask for what you want.
Let us be clear on this one:
Subtle hints do not work!
Strong hints do not work!
Obvious hints do not work!
Just say it!

1. Yes and No are perfectly acceptable answers to almost every question.

1. Come to us with a problem only if you want help solving it. That's what we do. Sympathy is what your girlfriends are for.

1. A headache that lasts for 17 months is a Problem. See a doctor.

1. Anything we said 6 months ago is inadmissible in an argument. In fact, all comments become null and void after 7 Days.

1. If you won't dress like the Victoria 's Secret girls, don'tExpect us to act like soap opera guys.

1. If you think you're fat, You probably are. Don't ask us.

1. If something we said can be interpreted two ways and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, we meant theother one.

1. You can either ask us to do something or tell us how you want it done. Not both. If you already know best how to do it, just do it yourself.

1. Whenever possible, Please say whatever you have to say during commercials.

1. Christopher Columbus did NOT need directions and neither do we.

1. ALL men see in only 16 colors, like Windows default settings. Peach, for example, is a fruit, not A color. Pumpkin is also a fruit. We have no idea what mauve is.

1. If it itches, itwill be scratched. We do that.

1. If we ask what is wrong and you say "nothing," We will act like nothing's wrong. We know you are lying, but it is just not worth the hassle.

1. If you ask a question you don't want an answer to, Expect an answer you don't want to hear.

1. When we have to go somewhere, absolutely anything you wear is fine...really!

1. Don't ask us what we're thinking about unless you are prepared to discuss such topics as SEX, CARS, the shotgun formation, orBASKETBALL.

1. You have enough clothes.

1. You have too many shoes.

1. I am in shape. Round IS a shape!

1. Thank you for reading this.
Yes, I know, I have to sleep on the couch tonight;
But did you know men really don't mind that? It's like camping.

enjoy camping on the couch Hunter ........ :D

did you know that rose and peach were a colour as well ? everything you mentioned in the first post we have covered in several marriage retreats.......whoa talk about conflict resolution(s) 8)

let er Rip !

I used argue with my Wife when we first got married alot, like many couples do. I always had to prove I was right....well it got to a point maybe 5 years into our marriage when I thought about leaving her b/c things were so rough. Then I got some wise advice from a guy married alot longer than me.

He said "Mark you can be right or you can be happy, you choose". Since then I pick my battles with my Wife alot more carefully now. I realized what he was saying, I don't have to be right all the time (even though I am LOL).

Since that day he gave me advice, not to say we have not argued a few times, I have been alot more happy and so has my Wife.

So remember guys you can be right or happy but not both. If Momma isn't happy then no one's happy (just ask a married guy). :lol:

So remember guys you can be right or happy but not both. If Momma isn't happy then no one's happy (just ask a married guy). :lol:

Very true.

I have a simple way of handling it. Everything in that happens inside the house is her call/responsibility, most things (but not all) that happen outside the house are my call. All if is taken care of on my dime. So if she wants to paint a room, go ahead, do your best with the price. If you pick a color, it's fine with me, whatever color it is. Same rules permiate through the house. Redo the bathroom, fine, we have the money, go to it. Instead of telling her what she can and can't do, I tell her what we can afford and how much we have to play with.

Either one has veto power but only for a good reason. Vetos are rare and usually for a good reason.

So far it's worked fairly well.

Timshatz, you just put my relationship into a nutshell. I don't give a rip about most things she wants to redecorate. Pink (Seaside Decadence) with off-white (Boston Harbour). Who gives a rip. Want to go have coffee with the girls? Fine. Manicures? Have at it, but I retain the right to bust your balls over the cost if it becomes excessive. Want to go out with the ladies? My only stipulation is that I'm the DD. No driving drunk. I only have one real item that I am a **** about.

Just don't touch my F*****g garage.

I too have started giving in more. I used to argue to the point of throwing stuff I'd get so mad. Usually I'd go in the garage and put my fist through the wall. (yeah yeah I know....anger management, Thor)

But after fixing too many holes in the sheetrock, I told her, "Fine, you win. You want a neutered husband who doesn't stand up for anything? Fine, you win."

Now I just tell her, "Yes dear" or "Your right" and it's driving her nuts. ha ha. But I've noticed our arguments don't last near as long or get very heated any more. What she doesn't understand is that it's ok to disagree. She believes we should be on the same page about everything.

She asks me how I feel about this or that and I'll just laugh, then tell her, "There is no way I'm responding to that because it will just spark another argument." Then I get griped at for not talking, but when I was talking I was arguing with her!!!!! AARRRGGGHHHH. God I love her!!!!! ha ha ha.

She asks me how I feel about this or that .

Feel? You're a guy! 90% of stuff around you gets analysed, figured out or mentally discarded and you move on. You feel about the kids, the dog, the first beer at the end of the work week, ect. But what color the den gets painted or the difference between a potted plant in the kitchen or living room doesn't make you "feel" anything.

You've got most of it Thor (IMHO). Most of the time, I'm happy that the stuff she is doing is stuff I don't have to think about. When she stops me coming in the house and starts going on about this or that, I just nod, smile and say, "That's nice". She knows I really don't care, I know I really don't care (and will set an Olympic record forgetting about it when she's finished talking about it) but, it comes with the territory.

As long as I really don't have to bother with it (and I know she's better at it in the first place AND really wants to do it), I'll do the nodding dog in the back of the car thing and move on.

I have to say this is perhaps the funniest thread I have ever started.

Marriage is a funny thing isn't it? I would like to know who the hell thought of marriage in the first place, that dumb bastard what the hell was he thinking. :lol:

(and will set an Olympic record forgetting about it when she's finished talking about it)

I hear ya. I have a really bad memory. I we will be fussin about something and I'll tell her, "But you said 'whatever'". Then starts the 3rd grade, No I didn't...Yes you did....No I didn't. Then she hits me with, "But baby, you know you have a bad memory so I know I'm right!"

WTF? :shock:

I can't win! :cry:

Whoa, that's a bummer. If she's always worried about being right, what the hell's the point. Captain of the Titanic was right, all the way up to sideswiping the iceberg.

I feel for ya' dude. "Congrats Hon, you're right. So why the ---- are you bothering me with this ----!"

My suggestion at this point is to start talking to yourself and argueing with unseen people. Most people will avoid somebody they think is crazy. Maybe we can convince your wife that you are actually losing it.

Failing that, start building a full sized mockup of a nuclear bomb. Not that it will help in any way, but it should be interesting to see where it goes (strictly from the perspective of an interested bystander).

my imaginary friend thinks your crazy T-shirt would fit fine ........

let's face it when it comes to men vs women in the role of communication we are so fundamentaly different in more ways than one ........... it's not wrong just different. maybe you should repeat what she says like " what I hear you saying is.... ? " that usually stuns the opposite sex really well while on the positive side you are now listening exactly to her without other interuptions. look her in the face while saying that .......

ok enough of communication skills 101 8) , ok whose next in line ?

Erich, that was good. Right up there with the "Baffle them with *ull*hit" line of yesteryear.

Good advice, that one.

Failing that, start building a full sized mockup of a nuclear bomb. Not that it will help in any way, but it should be interesting to see where it goes (strictly from the perspective of an interested bystander).

Thanks for the suggestion. The only bad part is she would tell me that I wasn't building it right!!!!! :lol:

What's that got to do with it! I'll give you an example I lived through. She had too many clothes (go figure) and the closet rod ripped out of the wall. So I added two more braces and replaced the plastic ends with metal ones. She started to tell me where the braces needed to be and if it was strong enough. So I handed her the drill, went and popped a cold one and sat down to watch a basketball game on TV.....and was fuming mad. She doesn't even know which end of a hammer to use and she is going to instruct me how to do that. I do computer support all day but one of my side jobs is doing home renovations and remodels for people.

She walks in and just before she says anything I cut my eyes at her as if to say, "you say one word to me and I'll plant you in the yard head first." She hands me the drill and says, "Sorry, you can do it."

so am curious do you two ever argue naked ? end of story ........

XXjester.gif

let the jesting continue in full earnest ! ♫

Users who are viewing this thread

Back