The History Channel....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think Njaco and Proton hit on the head. Costs low and the "MTV-ing" of the channel. More flash, less substance.

When you think about it, the suits that run these networks have to continually increase profits while reducing costs. It's the only way they can keep their jobs. In that quest, the reality show (MTV style) is the best bang for the buck. If it gets away from the "Core Mission" of what the Channel is there for, the action is forgiven based on the suits bringing in higher profits.

With that logic, the decent shows that actually have content will lose out to reality shows and re-runs.

Somebody (I think it was Newton Minow-the guy who made the "Television is a vaste wasteland" speach in 1961) once said (back in the late 90s) that when TV started, it was like being at a Circus. You had all sorts of acts out there. Animals, People Stories, Documentaries, you name it. But now, it is more of a freak show where the weirdness is what draws eyes to the tube. With all the crap going on with the HC, I think that analysis hits the nail on the head.

I don't have a huge problem with reality shows as such, if they're good. H*ck, I sometimes watch "From Wrecks To Riches" and the Chip Foose thingy....
Just wish that they had the bl**dy decency and intelligence to make them have something to do with HISTORY, since it's in the channels name for crying out loud!:evil: :twisted: :rolleyes:

Way to go, Lucky...give 'em hell!

I haven't had cable in years, it was just a waste of money for me, really...

But I do remember when the History channel first went live, they had a series on the age of Knights...man, I was hooked! They also had a great series on the age of sail, covering the early sailing vessels like the Phoenetians, Romans, Norsemen all the way through the Yankee Clippers. They even covered modern sailing technology. Good stuff right there!

Sadly, as time went by, THC and Discovery and all the other great channels started showing total crap. Once in a while, you'd get a decent show, and you felt rewarded for weeding through the garbage shows until you got to see a gem.

My thinking is that if any corporate outfit wanted to save money, shave it from the top, not the bottom. Your CEOs and board members make countless millions a year, so why not unload one or two of them. Besides, more than half of those idiots are a waste of the air we breathe anyway. That would be more than enough to keep quality shows rolling in. Loose the company jet and cut back on the ridiculous perks and bennies. Better still, get rid of the outside vendors like "analysts and consultants"...another waste of our precious oxygen...

Maybe if we leaned on the History Channel enough, they'd get thier head out of thier a** and get some decent shows back...

Would be happy to do any of the CEO's job for half their paycheck and one h*lluva better job as well.....I'm sure that goes for all here.
They're insulting the common man.....whooops....sorry....they're insulting the common PERSON by showing mince, cr*p, sh*te, garbage, rubbish, manure like that on the TV. And I bet any money that they don't even have the common sense to be ashamed for it either!
The best "analysts and consultants" there is, are us that watch the shows, right, as it is now, those that they've hired, don't know the difference between sh*t and worse sh*t, they should be decapitated just above their ankles, with their feet being made to table legs or ashtrays!

I agree, Grau. No cable here either but I remember HC. I love history - all history - and it was one of my fav Channels. I remember the joke back then that it should be called the "Wings" Channel because all it seemed was ever on was "Wings", "Wings of the Luftwaffe", etc. And you wonder why kids have no interest in history when even the channel named for it can't get it right.

I was just flippin through the guide (wife loves cable, so yes, we have it...I very rarely watch it myself) and noticed that "Modern Marvels" was on. Loosely based in history, it sometimes describes how certain "modern marvels" were created. Mostly its boring crap. Today, though, I noticed it was about Nikolai Tesla. Okay, they pulled a diamond out on that one! Afterwards, though, was "Gangland". And I'm now back on the computer.

I don't mind the show "Cities of the Underworld". On a couple of episodes they showed about WW2 Germany's secret bunkers and New York City's secret prohibition tunnels.
Indeed! I like that show as well mate, one of the FEW good ones! As of yet, no reply.... Do you think like me, that it went from the inbox directly to the bin or that they're stunned by the shock of my polite and educated language and don't know what to write back? :lol:

I think thier lack of reply would be from the stunning eloquence of your message, Lucky...

Seriously, I doubt they'll reply and in the odd event that they do, it'll be a standard (generic) reply that has been apporved by thier legal department (more mouth-breathers that need to be unemployed)...something like:
Dear Viewer,
Thank you for contacting us, your communications are important to us as we value our viewers.

If you have any questions, please view our FAQ at www.blahblah.com/FAQ
If you wish to see a schedule of shows/events, please visit: www.yakkitysmack.com/events
If you have complaints or suggestions, visit: www.cry-me-a-river.com/whine

Kindest Regards,
The Saddest-Channel-on-the-Planet Team!

Our local PBS station has some great shows on occasion...stuff like "Secrets of the Dead" and a few that dealt with WWII, like "Hitler's Secret Weapons", etc...heck, even Nature and Nova are good shows.

History Channel have made an *rse of themself here in the UK...:lol: They say that John Cabot, was the first European to discover North America, in 1497, notwithstanding Norseman Leif Ericson's landing (c. 1003). The Canadian and United Kingdom government's official position is that he landed on the island of Newfoundland. Why is that? I thought that Newfoundland IS North America....:rolleyes: :confused: :lol:

Have only seen the trailer for show about Bristol with Adam Hart-Davis. Will they mention John Cabot was an Italian navigator and explorer named Giovanni Caboto?

I wonder.....:D :lol:

Weaponology is great but I can't remember if it is HC or DSC.

I agree with you TO, the military channel has been showing some great stuff lately (we have dish at work in the lobby) and I try and check it out as much as I can when up in the office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back