The Lancaster as a potential nuclear bomber in 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it's quite so "apples-and-oranges", particularly the B(I)Mk8 variant that was supposed to do low-level ops over Europe.

Incidentally, I think the Canberra really SHOULD have had a second pilot given its rather dangerous asymmetric handling qualities. I arrived at RAF Wyton not long after they lost the Station Commander, Reg McKendrick, in a crash while practicing an engine failure after take-off. A QFI and Staff Nav also perished on that short but deadly flight...and that was a T4 which had dual controls.

In it's day the Canberra was a hot rod when compared to WW2 heavies although later missions pushed the design growth to its limits. For certain missions I agree, a co-pilot was needed.

The B-47 had the co-pilot/gunner seated behind the pilot and there was no FE...just a navigator as the 3rd crew member.

The B-58 had a pilot, navigator, and weapons operator.

By the time both of those aircraft entered service, the need for a dedicated bomber FE was slowly going away. Both the B-47 and B-58 were almost fighter like so the dedicated crew stations coupled with advances in nav and weapons systems eliminated older crew positions from WW2

The B-50 and B-36 retained FE positions as well as other post war patrol bombers (P2V, P3, de Havilland Comet, Tu95)

Page 149 of the "The B-29 Airplane Commander Training Manual for the Superfortress" (revised February 1945) states "Always depressurize when expecting enemy action, when the ship is on fire, or when preparing to abandon ship."

And that seems to contradict some of the operational reports. In a later manual it talks about partial pressurization when operating in combat (AAF 51-126-6 15 December 1945 Page 160). Emergency procedures are the same.

Attachments

• b29.jpg
    b29.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 249
By the time both of those aircraft entered service, the need for a dedicated bomber FE was slowly going away. Both the B-47 and B-58 were almost fighter like so the dedicated crew stations coupled with advances in nav and weapons systems eliminated older crew positions from WW2

The B-50 and B-36 retained FE positions as well as other post war patrol bombers (P2V, P3, de Havilland Comet, Tu95)
Agree Joe, my question though, the "simplicity" of the jet engine over the recip, didn't that make the FE rather unneeded? Or at least altered his task load and duties?

Agree Joe, my question though, the "simplicity" of the jet engine over the recip, didn't that make the FE rather unneeded? Or at least altered his task load and duties?

Peter,

Jets are quite a bit more simplistic than a recip, however the job of an FE back then was a bit more involved. I'm pretty sure the military expected them to be able to do some levels of repairs and or maintenance.

They were also considered systems experts and expected to have a high degree of knowledge on their respective mount. The AF still requires these skills IIRC. My airline has quite a few of them who teach system academics and they are VERY knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Biff

Last edited:
I think that 'access' was just for visual checks. I think to actually fiddle with a bomb some further modification would be required (Grand Slam pictured).

View attachment 528584

I understand my question could be OT, but surfing the web I can't find useful and detailed information about the British 'Type G' single points attachments and 'Type F' releases. And, in particular, pictures or diagrams of their use with Tall Boy and Little Boy/Fat man
Can anyone provide some help?

I can't see range shrinking that much based on a 0.07 ampg difference.
Heading toward Japan, they faced headwinds that were pretty bad. That's where/when they discovered the jet stream, after all. That was always a factor until Lemay ordered them to bomb from lower altitudes.

Even if a Lancaster (or Lincoln) were to drop a 1945 atomic bomb on a Japanese target, given its slow speed and low altitude (vs the B-29) its prospects of escaping the weapon effects would be problematic.
What about a streamlined Lanc with Griffons for range, jets for sprint to/from target?

pic-lanc-test13.jpg

You may need RATO to takeoff (like the A-20 below) and in-flight refueling once aloft to have the necessary range.

29633531503_65787e93d8_z.jpg

9313.jpg

One added benefit of the streamlined Lancaster is no need for several crewmen, dropping two gunners for certain. Perhaps the Air Bomber too, since you're dropping a nuke with little need for accuracy. Perhaps the navigator can crawl forward to make last minute checks.

Lancaster%20cutaway.jpg-for-web-large-1263118977.jpg-for-web-LARGE.jpg

Last edited:
Why not a B-52, then?

Wait...nevermind.

Has anybody here suggested the Short Shetland as an alternative. I was just thinking, the Japanese had biological weapons, so if we atomise them then maybe they gas us in retaliation. At least with the Shetland you wouldn't need a runway with ground staff to come back to.

What about a streamlined Lanc with Griffons for range, jets for sprint to/from target?

You do realize the plane pictured flew for the first time, on August 14, 1946 about 1 year too late for WW II. This was the first aircraft to fly with the RR Nene engine.

I believe FlyboyJ's suggestions of the B-50 and B-36 were sarcasm.

If you can magically get 1946-47 engines into 1944 airframes for 1945 service use all sorts of possibilities open up.

You do realize the plane pictured flew for the first time, on August 14, 1946 about 1 year too late for WW II. This was the first aircraft to fly with the RR Nene engine.

If you can magically get 1946-47 engines into 1944 airframes for 1945 service use all sorts of possibilities open up.

Yes, I agree, we could have both the EE Canberra and Short Sperrin flying in late 1944 with RR Nene turbojets as they were first run on October 27 1944.

How about we skip the jets, put on four Griffons and keep the streamlining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back