The Longest War (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

magnocain

Senior Airman
Oct 28, 2007
Can any of you name the longest war in history? It might surprise you.

The Hundred Years War was a series of battles between England and France from 1337 to 1453, thus lasting 116 years. That's a pretty long war !!

Charles

Nope. To clear some confusion I mean 'official' war.

Sources disagree on the length of the Aceh War between the Acehnese of Indonesia and the Dutch. The Netherlands formally declared war in 1873, and the fighting continued on and off for years. Some say the war ended in 1903, but the Dutch didn't officially withdrew from the area until 1942, so the Aceh War lasted either 30 years or 69 years.

The longest war of the 20th century is still raging. The Sudanese Civil War began in 1955 as a conflict between the Arab Muslim north and the mostly Christian, black African south.

The war has changed over time, and now the fighting is between the Islamic fundamentalist government in Khartoum and several rebel groups, including the Sudan People's Liberation Army. Religion, race, and ethnicity still pit the two sides against each other. The fighting lessened somewhat in the 1970s, but guerrilla warfare continued. The 47-year civil war has even lead to a resurgence of slavery.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years' War (1651–1986) was a war between the Netherlands and the Isles of Scilly (located off the southwest coast of the United Kingdom). It is said to have been extended by the lack of a peace treaty for 335 years without a single shot being fired, which would make it one of the world's longest wars and the war with the fewest casualties. Despite the uncertain validity of the declaration of war, peace was finally declared in 1986

You are on the right track.

Im stumped....ill think about it, must go to work for now, will try and have an answer in about 4hours
It has been longer than 4 hours...

Anyone else?

Ok. techniaclly, it was the Third Punic War. The peace treaty was signed on February 5th, 1985. That makes the war 2200 years long.
You do learn something everyday .

Ok. techniaclly, it was the Third Punic War. The peace treaty was signed on February 5th, 1985. That makes the war 2200 years long.
You do learn something everyday .

Sounds like more of a publicity stunt by the mayors of Rome Tunis. I think the war can be considered "over" when the enemy population is executed or sold as slaves, and the city razed, even without a "peace treaty"

Sounds like more of a publicity stunt by the mayors of Rome Tunis. I think the war can be considered "over" when the enemy population is executed or sold as slaves, and the city razed, even without a "peace treaty"

No kidding.. Right Freebird

Why not a peace treaty between Greece and India? Alexander the Great never signed a peace treaty.. he just left so technically they're still at war.

Agreed, I think that is stretching the point a little bit too far to call Rome and Tunis still at war up until 1985. It is a ridiculous point to call that the longest war. Was it really an official war anyway really after the ancient times? I really do agree that it is a publicity stunt. I define war as being by actions and therefore recently Tunis and Rome have not acted at war since the Fall of Rome if not before and therefore that is not what I consider war...

Egypt-Israel?

Egyptian documentations dated 1150 B.C. proof of a war against Kaanan (Israel) - well there was a break in between - and officially Egypt and Israel signed a peace treaty in 1979. So that would make a 3029 years duration.

Regards
Kruska

The actual war I would consider the longest current one would be between North and South Korea. Officially there never really was a treaty between North and South and there is still warlike actions on the part of both contestants towards the other. I really do think the 100 years war should be considered the longest actual war in history. It really was a war where there was no break-down in between of actual peace between the combatants but a period of uneasy peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back