The Me-262 variants.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, guys I got this new info on the Fw-190 at Joburg Museum thanks to delcyros who translated it for me here it is. Thanks again mate.

"These two pictures show a Focke Wulf Fw 190/A6 from III./JG 11 (W.Nr. 550214) of the South African Military Museum Johannesburg. This plane was manufactured mid 1943 at AGO plant (near) Oschersleben and modified as experimantal plane for the so called "Neptun-Liliput" device.
This special device was used for rangefinding and timing to fire 21cm rockets into bomber streams. A line of dipols on one wing was used as emitter while those of the other wing were receivers. The Neptun - Liliput (devce) coworked with the Elfe EG 3 which automaticly set the range for proper firing of the rockets and detonating of them in (proximity to) the bombers.
Following the modification to Fw-190A6/R8* the dipols should have been removed because of the higher aerodynamic drag (which) would negatively effect dogfighting abilities.
After wars end this particular plane was captured in Denmark. Following extensive analysis by the british it was send to South Africa as a present.
In this museum are also on display a two seater Me-262 B1a/U1 -nightfighter-(W.Nr.110305), a Bf-109F2/Trop of the JG 27 captured in North Africa (W.Nr.31010), a Bf-109 E3 (emergancy landing at BoB) and a flight ready Fieseler Storch Fi-156 C7 (W.Nr.475099).

*The subtype R8 for fw-190 are with two underwing gondolas 30 mm MK 108. Extra to those powerful (spelled:mighty) weapons the R8 also carried two 20 mm MG 151/20 in the wingroots and two 7.92 mm MG17 firing through the propeller arc."

I got this info from a German website called www.jagdgeschwader4.de, but the pictures on the site does not work, I wonder why? Check it out for yourselfs.

http://www.jagdgeschwader4.de/Flugzeuge/FW190/Fotos-A6/Index.htm

Thanks again mate for the help in translating it for me.

Henk

The R8 designation actually means inboard 3cm with extra armor and as standard no mg 131's in the colwing but the cowling mg covers covered with aerodynamic fairings, the R* Sturm version was produced from November 44 onward to eventually replace the R2 variant. The Fw 190 with outboard 3cm in waffen-pods never flew in action

Well I do not know about that one. I have heard they did fly with Fw-190's with bombs that they will drop in the middle of a bomber formation and then detonate it, but it was not so successful like they hoped.

Henk

actually it was 109's with Heinz Knoke and his 5th staffel of JG 11 in April of 43. within a few days the whole of II./JG 11 was issued bombs for supposed bombing of US heavies. It was a total joke, a dropped almost as soon as it was conceived and then gone back to underwing 2cm gondolas

Do you know of a Dieter who flew with them? I do not have his surname now but will get it thenm tell you. You are right it was Bf-109's, sorry my fualt.

Henk

I got it his name was Dieter Goetz Reh. He surved with JV 44 at the end of the wr at Salzburg where he surrendered to a American tank regiment. HE flew the Me-262 by the end of the war. HE also flew Bf-109's, Fw-190 and with Wildesau.

Do you about him?

Henk

heres some info on that

from LUFTWAFFE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT IN PROFILE

*scanner image is of low quality, tell me if i should post the image of his plane or not*

Messerschmitt Bf109G-1
Flown by Leutnant Heinz Knoke, 5./JG 11, Jever, Germany, April 1943

Heinz Knoke, famous as the man who introduced the air to air bombing of B-17s and well known for some of his post-war memoirs, led the so called boeing klau (boeing grabber) Staffel, 2./JG1 (later 5./JG 11), defending NW Germany against US 4 engined bombers from the onset of the US Bomber offemsive over Germany.

On March 22, 1943, Knoke succeeded in destroying a US Heavy Bomber in the air by dropping a bomb on it. On April 17, the entire Staffel dropped bombs on a B-17 formation over Bremen, where a Focke-Wulf factory is based, this time without success. Defending Kiel 1 month later, on May 14, 3 of his men managed to knock out 3 B-17s by air to air bombing.

Knokeand his men became heavily exploited by German Propaganda in 1943, when there was a desperate need to counterbalance the Daylight bombing raids with....

oh wait, i managed to fix the quality

Attachments

• ismaulpsd_566.gif
    ismaulpsd_566.gif
    42.4 KB · Views: 168
yeah actually, if only there was one in Il-2 and you can use it in the campaign, blast those stubby little polikarpovs with jets

Users who are viewing this thread

Back