The Me-262 variants. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich- with all due respect, I was only commenting on the Horten machine, not the 262 and happened to have those 7 books above at hand so no one would think it was fantasy. Every book, Green's or others, I've ever seen go into the detail about the nameclature of the Go and the Ho business no matter how the plane is listed under in the index. You know that's correct since you obviously have books cover the subject as well. Of couse I have scads of other works stating the same facts. Doesn't seem sensible to be required to list them all. anyhow folks can call it whatever they desire. I was surprized to be harshly persecuted for the Green books but no mention of Bergaust, Simon or Mhyra, and for names and picture in a profile being demanded. I flamed no one and never broke any board rules.

The Ju 390 story I heard was something that Green misconstrued from Junkers factory records not a plot against sensability. Other data and brief histories in his books are benign for the most part.

For what it is worth my 1st name is Jim. I don't have a photo of myself less than about 25 years ago- don't like getting my picture took- capture the soul I heard. Here's one I had handy when I was in the USMC before I shipped out to Nam. Hope this is legal.

Who am I? I am nobody really. Just the son of a P-51 pilot that smoked an Fw 190 that accidently "flew right in front of me," at the end of the war. He shared 1/2 a Ju88 ground kill. I was always interested in planes. My 1st aviation books in 1958 were Colby, C.B. Jets of the World Coward-McCann, Inc., NY, 1952 and Colby, C.B. Wings Of Our Air Force Coward-McCann, Inc., NY, 1952

I got interested in talking to the aces in the 1980s. I have lots of tapes and notes all pretty unorganized unfortunately. I don't write for print anymore. The last was over 10 years ago. I got into writing for pleasure and have done articles on WW 2 combat aviation mostly but some non-avaiation subjects also. I ain't famous! Just a guy that likes combat planes and loves the pilots.

I came to this site since I didn't see much arguing and sharp tempers at work here. Some sites have members that are always, always demanding "sources" on anything one mentions. People love to argue on the internet for some reason. I agree with you in the fact that the web is full of concise or incorrect information. If I obtain a series of government/military documents released in the mid 1990s under the Freedom of Information Act concerning the invasion of Japan I may wade through 200,000 words. On the web you'll be lucky to find the abridged version synopsis in 1,000 words.

I had chosen not to mention anything other than the fact that I write sometimes. When I have in the past too many people have endlessly bugged me with petty questions about aces which I simply will not answer. If I say Rall seems dynamic enough to jump into a 109 cockpit today (said several years ago) people want to know more stuff than I have time or inclination to reveal. Much like you and the manuscript you are involved with- When it comes out it come out.

I have learned my lesson. I apologise. I shant offer any corrections to anyone again on data. I am sincerely sorry if anything I have mentioned has upset anyone. This is all so transitory none of us should take anything too seriously especially ourselves. As a cancer survivor still in ill health I can attest to that.

Since I was diagnosed I changed my mind and decided not to attempt to publish 3-4 book-length manuscripts I've done. I may do an article now an again but my life has changed too much to take it seriously. I encourage you with your writing endeavours however.

BTW the nick name Twitch has been with me since Vietnam. Everyone in our outfit got monikers and my forefinger would "twitch" on the M-16 trigger guard when we lay in ambush for Charlie so that's where it came from.
Laugh-On-Own.gif

usm.jpg

Now as Henk said let's chill and get back to airplanes......................

good to meet you Jim

I understand through looking on the past of this lengthy thread we were not talking at all about the same thing(s).

is your father still with us and what fg was he apart of if I may ask ??

briefly I too know about the Orient and all it's fascination(s) that kept me there too long and mid-east and the ice and the ??? 8) and yes I still work for the big cheese at times not of my choosing.

Cancer yes know about that too as I struggle with it. ~ skin

Jim can you share who the German vets you have chatted with ? and please do not apoligize for anything. Corrections and asking is how we learn. Understanding the cyber waves can be difficult as we have tried to point out

Great guys, now I learned a lot bout both of you.

Well I do not know how it is to have cancer but I know about operations when I had reconstruction in my foot in November 2004 and they took bone out of the hip for that and it is not for any baby's. The worst of this entire thing is if you can not walk for 6 months only on crutches. Never will they do that to me again, that was the wost thing for me ever.

Henk

Some sites have members that are always, always demanding "sources"
We have a few of those here as well....
Who am I? I am nobody really.
Arent we all....
When I have in the past too many people have endlessly bugged me with petty questions about aces which I simply will not answer.
This site is not like that.... I have met many Aces myself, though not as an interviewer... My Grandfather was Blacksheep Bill Case, and I grew up in that community...

No one hounds me about info, nor about the validity of what I say... I am what I say I am, as most of the members and Mods here are.... You have to earn ur stripes though Jarhead, and as a Squid, I have earned the right to call u that... Put some time in around here, and things will level off....

I still dont, however, understand what the big secret is about ur identity... Ur not going to get hounded here unless u deserve it...

Maybe u have something to hide??? Heres a clue....

NO ONE HERE FREAKIN CARES!!!!!!!!!

Now now you can not reply with a question.

You said something about my face and a banana patch.

I did not say anything cruel or nasty.

Henk

I can reply in any manner I deem appropriate....
I did not say anything cruel or nasty.
How the fuck would I know what u said....
You said something about my face and a banana patch.
No I didnt... It amounts to jibberish, the same crap u typed in... Ur sense of humor sucks...

U need to spend some more time here and start reading some of the older posts, so u can get an idea who and what kind of personalities ur dealing with here... I'm not gonna sit here and try to explain myself to some noob...

And I dont speak any other language but my own, which is why u dont see me in the Multi-lingual Forum....

No, mate I did not say you said anything cruel to me. And yes, I have a great sense of humor and I do not take everything personel.

Well mate I said in Afrikaans the language I speak, you are just like a corparal. It was just a joke mate.

So mate please I do have a sense of humor.

Nice chatting to you.

Henk

Erich and guys- my Mom died yesterday after complications indirectly from a knee replacement. You know secondary infections and blood problems. She at least wasn't in pain.

My Dad and Mom were divorced when I was very little and I met him later in life again. Believe it or not I figured we'd have time to talk about flying and such but he died suddenly. The danged records center had a fire in St, Louis Mo. and his records, and who knows how many others, were lost forever so all I know is a couple things of little consequnce.

I've talked with Galland, Schuck, Rall, Krupinski, Steinhoff and so many more on all sides except the Japanese. Well one guy there.

Was Bill Case pro or against Pappy lesofprimus? Just curious. People either love or hate him. I have usually made it a rule to be anonymous on the web. It's safer. But that's about all there is to know about me. I don't care what anyone else's name is as long as we have fun and put out interesting pilot and planes info. There's always something to learn! Henk found out some cool info on the South African 262 night fighter.

The bottom line is cancer and the associated side effects sucks!

Sorry to hear about your mom Twitch.

Just a side note about Pappy...

My ex-father in law ran the Pickwick Bowling Alley in Burbank. Boyington and his wife used to bowl there every Friday night and he even gave my ex-father in law an autographed copy of Baa Baa Black Sheep. My ex FIN liked him and thought he was a nice guy but as portrayed, he was a heavy drinker..

My brother's military records were also lost in that St. Louis fire - for him it was a good thing, he was not a model "discipline" soldier....

Ok like Twitch said I got a reply from the Museum in Johannesburg where the Me-262 night fighter is stored.

This is what they said about the aircraft.

"The Me 262 B-1a/U1 at the South African Nationa Museum of Military History is the sole night fighter version of the Me 262 still in existence. The aircraft was converted from a two-seater trainer built by Blohm und Voss. It has the identification number 'Red 8' and was allocated to Staffel 10 of Nachjagdeschwader 11 under the command of Oberleatnant Kurt Welter. We are, unfortunately, unable to provide any information on who flew the aircraft, how many missions it flew and how many victories it had. The aircraft was handed over to the Royal Air Force at Schleswig Jagel in Denmark in April 1945."

Then I also asked them for some info on the Fw-190 stored there and they also gave me a bit of info on it.

"The Fw 190 at the Museum had the original designation A-6/R6. It was subsequently upgraded to R8 and carried an experimental form of radar called Neptun-Lilliput. The aircraft served with a test unit Erprobungstelle, Staffel 8 of Jagdeschwader 11 and, as with the Me 262 above, we are unable to supply any information on who flew the aircraft, how many missions it flew and how many victories it had. We are also unsure of how the aircraft came into Allied hands."

Here is a few pictures of the Fw-190.

Below: you can see the Fw-190 and in the background you can see the Me-262 night fighter.

fw1900zs.jpg

fw190b8gp.jpg

Well now I cannot remember where I got the pics, but will try to get it.

Enjoy.

Henk

first off ........... Jim so sorry to hear about this in your famile. Cancer is the disease from Hell and I can testify to that, my dear beautiful itralien mother died from colon/Breast complication and i watched her literally deteriorate in front of my eyes, wifes and childrens. It was a horror story in reality.

be strong !! one reason why I wear lances yellow band on my right wrist, casue of mom and my own struggles with skin cancer besides I ride like the wind .......... 8)

second and not at all important in the scheme of life but Röte 8 was never flown by any speciifc pilot nor any missions or vicotries flown in it. Go back and you will find my statements, red 12 flew 5 ops and scored 1 Mossie, and that is pathetically it for the two seaters. my book will give all pertinenet inforamtion on the single/twin seat jobs within Kommando Welter

the outsdie gondolas on the fw 190 for the 2cm and later 3cm as pictured by hendrik did not work, the reason why the A-7/MK and later R2 varinat was borne, to include the area within the wing for the 3cm and seperate ammo load housings. later A-8/R2 and A-8/R8

Erich mate I never said Red 8 flew missions after I found out it never flew, I just wanted more info on it from the museum.

Yes the Fw-190 has 30mm guns under the wing.

I am still working on info on the Fw-190 and will get it soon.

Henk

My grandfather flew Pappys wing on numerous occasions, and loved the man as if he were his own father.... I've been to many reunions and gatherings in all my years...

Im sure we have conversed with the same Ace or two, here and there, over the course of the last 25 years or so, huh Twitch???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back