The Me-262 variants.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Erich- I wasn't telling you how to write anything. I am simply appealing to you to please not degrade Welter or any ace by emphasising their faults. Every man who climbed into a cockpit is a demi-god to me and it's there where the magic comes from. As example I've had people say Hans Rudel's fantastic record is meaningless due to his Nazi sympathies. I say that's crazy since his accomplishments are what they are. anyhow perhaps that's just me. :black:

wouldn't you like a book that is true to its word like reality. As I stated credit will be given where credit is due. Please do not freak out, and no we should not worship any of these guys. hardly, through my vet interviews whether US or German they have all said we are no heros so quit worshipping us like we are. we are simple men that did our duty with different belief systems.

please stop harping on Welter as he is only just a small cog in the bigger picture of the Moskito-jagd since it's inception. He did not start nor invent it. He was a talented pilot but his scoring must be looked at closely which we have done and he was a Nachtjäger propaganda tool cleverly used by the powers above him. I will say it again do not come up with hypothetical reasoning, wait for the book to be displayed and then decide for yourself

I say this also in regard to my wartime relatives serving in the Heer and Luftwaffe, one was in fact a Night fighter ace and Gruppenkommanduer before his untimely accidnetal death. We have no reason to tear apart a mans career but truth must be known simply like the excellent research indicating for both sides of the conflicts in the air, not just a strong push for one sides reasoning which is nearly 90 % of the books thus written and will continue to be written. First hand accounts are rare which is easy to understand, our work will not be one of generalities nor the other two I am working on.

I'll quit now before the emotions push me over the edge .... :D

me262 said:
luftwaffe secret projects: fighters 1935-1945 by walter schick and ingolf meyer.
warplanes of the third reich by w. green
hitler's luftwaffe by tony wood and bill gunston
jane's fighting aircraft of ww II

Well mate, I also have Jane's Fighting Aircraft of WW2 and if you read properly it says Horten 9, but if you read even better you will see the book is based on 1945 and 1946 editions and like everyone knows that information about these type of aircraft was not commonly known. If you go to the website of the NASM you will see they also talk about the Horten 229, they have all the info on the aircraft and even the interviews done with the Horten brothers in the 80's on tape and they does done their homework.

Like I said earlier, READ PROPERLY.

P.S. Here is the link to the web page of the NASM where the Horten 229 V3 are today.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/horton_229.htm

I am not going to go on about this I think you should do your homework properly.

Henk

Henk, the NASM site is full of errors. The official designation is Go229.

The Go 229 is really the old style designation before people have researched German advanced projects to the degree they have over the past 15 years with extreme interest. In the 1960s it was fine to call it the Go 229 because no one really knew or cared that much. The official RLM designation was Ho 9V-1 and V-2 and thererafter it was known as the Ho 229V-3 through V-8 examples.

Every book I have printed in recent times calls it the Ho 229. Some authors that worked with original Air ministry and company records actually make known this correction in their books pointing out the fact that it is the Ho 229.

The authors in the know put the proper designation in their works for I have books from 1947 to 1955 that call it the Ho 229. The only nomeclature hang up is the fact that it was probably going to be designated as the Go 229 when production began. But since it never did the design never moved past the Ho 229 prototype stage.

Look at the books guys and you'll see what's proper.

My source indicates it was the HO 229 v1 or v2 Gotha took over at that point on the designator became GO 229 V3 - V7 the V7 being a 2 seater night fighter

Did Gotha ever complete one of the airframes or fly it? No. Twitch is correct, the fact is that no one ever cared so much before to research it so when they did the realised the true name of it.

IN Jane's fighting aircraft of WW2 it is called the Horten 9 vut the information in the book about the aircraft are not so good, because it is a copy of the 1945/46 editions.

Henk

yes they did complete 1 it was about to commence flight testing when the US army arrived and v4 and v5 the 2 seat night fighter versions were in final assembly which corrects my earlier post

Nope, the airframes of the V4 and V5 was not even completed and the night fighter not even started on. The V3 did not have wings and it was not fully completed.

The US got the wings at a other location where the wings were build.

Henk

there never was a A-1a/R1 it was the A1a with R4M's according to JG 7 vets.

the B-1a/U1 was the offical designation of the twin seta nf not the Zwilling (Z) config you posed. In fact the Kommano Welter just called it the B-1a. Bordfünkers were being found in march of 45 but only two of them flew on ops with Herbert Altner. Herbert had a major flame out one eve and he bailed out but his radar operator could not get out of the machine and was killed. Herbert than flew another couple of missions in the twinseater with a new Bordfünker.

Several of units listed were also prototypes only and enver flew in action. And I do understand if this was the purpose behind the listing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back