The Me-262 variants.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Henk

Master Sergeant
Feb 9, 2006
George - South Africa
This gentleman is the last Me-262 night fighter of WW2 that got to operational status and did fly on a few missions.

Here is some pictures of it.

me262nightfighter016go.jpg

me262nightfightersac7ce.jpg

me262nightfightersaa9lw.jpg

me262nightfigtera4hd.jpg

Check out this link and look almost under the title Me 262B in detail you will see three links that will show you detail pictures of the aircraft.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2002/04/stuff_eng_detail_me262b.htm#links

Henk

No, I wish they gave that info. Maybe if you track down the squadron it fought in you may get its pilot. The pictures of that link was taken a long time ago, because when I was at the museum it looked brand new and not like it looked there.

I wish I could show you my pictures but they just do not want to upload, but I will try again soon.

Henk[/img]

Now I changed the topic to be able to talk about all the Me-262 variants and prototypes build during the war.

This picture below is strange and does not look real. What do you think?

me262t1ou.jpg

This Me-62 is supposed to been captured by the Russians after the war but I have never seen such a Me-262 or never heard of such prototype.

Henk

It was also proposed to be used as a Mistel. The bombadier would lay in the nose and control the pilotless Me-262 from there.

m4-4cseite.jpg

'Red 8' operated with Kurt Welter's 10./NJG II at Magdeburg. The Me-262 night fighter at Jobur Museum is called Red 8.

I think that Red 8 was piloted by Welter. I E-mailed the Museum where Red 8 stand in Joburg and I will post what they said and will come back to you.

Read this.

Not more than fifteen of the trainers were built before the Luftwaffe identified an even greater need, an aircraft which could combat the growing number of RAF Mosquito night fighters which were roaming the night skies of the Reich with impunity preying on German night fighters like the Ju-88, Bf-110, and He-219. This quest led to the impressive Me-262B-1a/U1 night fighter, fitted with FuG-218 Neptun long-wavelength search radar and its attendant Hirschgeweih (Stag antlers) antennae as well as Naxos centimetric-radar-homing gear that detected the H2S radar scanners of RAF bombers. The Hirschgeweih slowed the aircraft down but it was still faster than the Mosquito. . The type was put through trials in October 1944 by the well-known Hajo Hermann and during the following winter, Kurt Welter, head of Kommando Stamp, used Me-262A-1a day fighters for Wilde Sau (Wild Boar) tactics , a type of visual night fighting done in conjunction with ground-based searchlights, and in April the unit obtained a few of the Me-262B-1a/U1 night-fighter variants. Despite all the difficulties, Welter claimed 20 kills, making him one of the first jet aces and likely the highest-scoring jet ace in all history. By the end of the war, Messerschmitt was working on a prototype of the improved Me-262B-2a night fighter with a longer fuselage, increased fuel capacity, and most importantly Berlin centimetric radar, with improved range and resolutions and a dish hidden in the nose, instead of the clumsy and drag-inducing Hirschgeweih of the long-wavelength radar.

This comes from www.studenten.net/customasp/ axl/profile.asp?cat_id=10&ple_id=97 - 42k.

Here are a few pictures of how she looks today from triplane.net

me262b79rp.jpg

me262b80mb.jpg

me262b93do.jpg

me262b108lz.jpg

me262b124yh.jpg

me262b111cj.jpg

me262b135vr.jpg

me262b144yt.jpg

Henk

Welter's claim of 25 in the 262 are suspect. Erich??

According Herert Altner, probably on 4 Me262B-1a/U1s saw service with 10./NJG11, a 2cd 'red' 8, WNr 110305, 'red' 9, 'red' 10, WNr 110635, and 'red' 12, WNr 111980(Altner). They flew 5 sorties and claimed3 Mossies.

The Classic 262 series has numerous color photos of the SA 262.

Welters rig was suppose to be red 10 whcih he never flew, no one flew red 8 either on missions, only Herbert Altner flew 3 mission in red 12 and scored only 1 mossie, the rest of the kills were in single seat jobs. Sorry Henk your info is bogus.

I have researched Kommando Welter for over 30 years and the info will be in my book Moskito-jagd über Deutschland.

v/r E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back