The most important battle of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

the lancaster kicks ass said:
so what you're trying to say is that because we were gettin material off you and it was a small percentage to the russians that it was not significant, we were not making a contribution and it should be overlooked.................

No Lanc,

I'm not trying to say that at all. Every bit helped, and it was more of a harship for Britain to give what it gave than it was for the USA, despite the proportions.

I'm just trying to put it into some kind of overall perspective. I'm not saying it should be overlooked at all. It represented a significant sacrifice for the British to give anything.

=S=

Lunatic

Napier Sabre said:
Are we allowed the Battle of Britain? Or are we talking land and sea battles?

I think that is too long a period. That was really a campaign, not a battle. "Battle of Britain" just sounds better than "British Campaign".

Just my opinion.

=S=

Lunatic

I disagree, the BoB was a series of Battles waged over a year's time. That makes it a campaign.

but any of the battles mentioned could be considdered a campain.............

stop being so sore, just because we did something amazing and you had little involvement that doesn't give you the right to say it can't be included as a battle.................

the lancaster kicks ass said:
but any of the battles mentioned could be considdered a campain.............

stop being so sore, just because we did something amazing and you had little involvement that doesn't give you the right to say it can't be included as a battle.................

It has nothing to do with the USA not being involved. It just does not really qualify as a battle in the sense that we consider most battles. Battles have a specific objective over a relatively short period of time, the BoB did not, it had a general objective to be achieved over a much longer period of time.

You cannot see that the BoB or the Battle of the Atlantic were a different sort of thing than the Battle of Bulge or Kursk or Midway or even Okinawa?

It's kind of like calling the Battle for Africa a Battle. Tobruk was a battle. El' Almien was a battle, but taken together, they are parts of a campaign.

Besides, I don't see how the distinction dimishies the valor or accomplishment of the British in winning that campaign one bit!

=S=

Lunatic

RG_Lunatic said:
I disagree, the BoB was a series of Battles waged over a year's time. That makes it a campaign.

I don't know what you call the Battle of Britain, but historians say it happened between 10 July and 31 October 1940. You can mince words if you want, but everyone else calls it the Battle of Britain.

mosquitoman said:
It was the Battle of the Atlantic, not the Atlantic campaign aswell, the only time when the war could have been lost for the allies

Come on... it lasted 4+ years. That's a campaign by anyones definition.

and all other battles mentioned so far didn't just take place in one day did they?? some took several weeks................

The history books, all history books, call it the Battle of Britain and the Battle of the Atlantic.
And they are rightly called that. The Battle of Britain was fought over one place, with the same occurances day in day out., with only one objective.
The fact is, an operation is a string of several battles which each have a objective, an operation is under a campaign which is a collection of operations all with a different objective. The TIME span does not dictate it being a battle or operation, the obejectives do. Example, Battle of Son Bridge, Operation Market Garden, NW-Europe Campaign.

The British War Production was actually, British EMPIRE war production. It includes Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Which is pretty large, and the fact is the British were supplying the Soviet Union in their darkest hours. "Not to diminish the US aid..." :lol:

There's also the alliteration with Battle Britain, but whatever. Funny though isn't it, that Barbarossa is usually refered to as the Eastern Front, rather than the Russian Campaign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back