That's not exactly true. There were huge holes in Soviet production which were filled by Lend-Lease imports. For instance about half of Soviet steel was made in the USA. The same goes for chemicals used to produce explosives and artillery propellent.
Yes indeed, there is truth in this.....but one mustn't fall into the trap of assuming that just because the western allies supplied some things (and so is an example of a need easily met) that that necessarily must mean Russia alone could not always meet that need sufficiently.
It may not cover absolutely everything but my bet is that a lot of those holes can be filled, enough, even if with more difficulty and/or expense - particularly given Russia's vast natural resources
(which have become easier to get at over time as Russia mechanises her rail network has grown).
Let's put the shoe on the other foot. In this scenerio the USA has decided to help Germany. So Germany now gets Lend-Lease economic assistance.
Petroleum products.
Tungsten
Copper
Chromium.
Nickel.
It's the timeline I have a lot of trouble with.
In 1944 I see it as far too late and is Germany in no condition to create operate the necessary infrastructure to handle this new flow of resources
(and this would all be in quantities from a direction that Germany is not used to dealing with them from).
The Panther tank was relatively inexpensive to mass produce
I think the truth here is more accurate full if we say 'eventually'.
The Panther was not only unreliable to start with but was not that cheap to make (being more costly than the Panzer 4H) although thanks to the efforts made to reduce costs they did fall.
Wiki (I know I know) quotes Guderian as saying they were getting better but still reporting a significant level of problems in march 1944
(and at their peak they only fielded 520 or some of them in Sept 1944).
and now Germany has raw materials to make as many as they want. A German version of Tankograd sprouts next to a major port such as Hamburg.
Just like that, hmmm Dave?
This tread says the rapprochement happens in 1944.
I just don't see that even starting Jan 1 1944 you can get a German Tankograd up running to any great degree as to make a difference before the Russian tide sweeps all before it.
Many of the machine tools for this massive factory complex are from the USA
.....and this completely ignores the issues the American did have when they tried making complex military parts with machinery they had the blue-prints for staff giving technical advice from the original producers.
Shipping raw resources is one thing but complex components is very different not done easily.
along with half the raw materials necessary for production. After a year or so the German Tankograd is producing 1,000 Panther tanks per month along with half tracks and SP artillery. Wheeled vehicles are imported straight from Detroit by the 100s of thousands.
Well, I'm sorry Dave but I think this is a total flight of fancy.
I think experience does not support this view.
Jan 1st 1944 is far far too late.