The Pacific - Finally

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was good enough to watch, I read earlier that the first 2 are the weakest, so I am holding am sure it will only get better.

I thought it was cool that they thought they were winning the naval battle (of Salvo Island?) only to find out that we took a beating the next morning and the Navy bugged out.

My only criticism was what I perceived to be the over sentimental humanization of the Japanese so early in the series. (The Marines playing cat and mouse with the doomed Japanese soldier, the picture and Geisha doll found in the dead soldiers backpack.) I feel this should have evolved slowly over the episodes. Obviously I wasn't there, but it seemed too soon after Pearl to not think of them as "beasts", not to mention the fact that they came upon the tortured and killed Marines(?) shortly after landing. But then again maybe I have it backwards... Maybe they became "beasts" in the minds of the Marines only AFTER prolonged contact with them through fighting... "The War" by Ken Burns made this difference much more starker. My severely flawed 2 cents.

Overall, I am happy with it. I had read on the forum that the first two were the weakest episodes, and not to compare it to BoB because the story is told differently. Think Hanks and Spielberg need to do a story regarding air combat next. Has not been a great air combat story in a long time.

Actually Hanks and Spielberg considered adding a Naval Pilot in The Pacific, though they didn't include the character since it'll be too hard to follow the story then.

Also, to those who don't have HBO and didn't get to see the first episode, you can watch it at their website HBO. Though I didn't have any luck watching it, it wasn't available in my region. :rolleyes:

I'm glad Chesty Puller is in these... I've always though he shoulda been a household name.

Nice use of the shotguns

i enjoyed episode 2 but the storytelling seems weak. Seemed too much like episode 1.

cant wait for episode 3

They've finally announced that The Pacific will start on 12 April down here. Best bit is its on free-to-air TV.
I'm all set to record the series.

I like Band of Brothers better. They introduced the characters better with longer episodes and just as good special effects. Nonetheless, this is darned good too though

With air and sea superiority and even light tanks, what lead the Japanese to mount frontal assaults on fixed positions?

Disdain for the Americans... thought it would be easy?
Poor tacticians?
Terrain dictated the Japanese response?
Americans chose their locations wisely?
Japanese had a lot going on at the time across the pacific and Guadalcanal was supposed to be easy.
Frontal attack was a sound strategy... it should have worked?

I felt sick.

Shinpachi, do you feel it is a fair portrayal of how events happened so far? This series is hard to watch from an American perspective, I imagine it is even harder from your perspective. The Pacific island campains was such huge loss of life on both sides, and I truly feel sorry for the average Japanese foot soldier on how they were treated and basically viewed as cannon fodder IMO. Tom Hanks and Spielberg claim to have done a huge amount of research to make everything as historically accurate as possible. From your point of view, and based on your country's history, is there anything you feel that is in accurate or wrong? I'm really interested in your opinion if you would be willing to discuss it.

Interesting... from Wiki:

Following the Battle of Guadalcanal, the division's Marines were sent to Melbourne, Australia to rest and refit.[13] It was during this time that the division took the traditional Australian folk song "Waltzing Matilda" as its battle hymn. To this day, 1st Division Marines still ship out to this song being played.[

With air and sea superiority and even light tanks, what lead the Japanese to mount frontal assaults on fixed positions?

Disdain for the Americans... thought it would be easy?
Poor tacticians?
Terrain dictated the Japanese response?
Americans chose their locations wisely?
Japanese had a lot going on at the time across the pacific and Guadalcanal was supposed to be easy.
Frontal attack was a sound strategy... it should have worked?

I'd be interested in opinions on your questions too Comiso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back