The Pilot Factor (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

PS I have killed 3 grouse, 4 pheasant 1 blackbird and a sparrow just driving my car so I would have been a shoe in as an ace. No credits here for pheasant they are the most suicidal of all living things, its amazing that people pay to shoot them.

Or as a Kamikazi...:oops:

Or as a Kamikazi...:oops:

Honestly Biff there is a road here (between Helmsley and Stokesley) that always has at least 4 pheasants squashed on the road, you will always have 2 or 3 flying out at you it is as if they dont want to live. Pheasants I believe came from China maybe they just want to move onto the next life quickly. If I join a shooting party with a big picture of an Audi front grill I am sure I could become a shooting "ace"

Pbehn,

I lived in Oklahoma for a year (USAF Pilot Training). The road kill standard there was a skunk. I called them Oklahoma Road Warriors, since they seemed to die en masse. You would get really good at rolling up windows and turning on the recirculation in your car in a feeble attempt to keep out the stink! I drove an RX-7 then and was afraid if I hit one it would get stuck in the grill...

Cheers,
Biff

Yep, as Steve mentioned, the Bf 109 had benign stall characteristics, interesting considering its wing loading; that was the benefit of the slats. Wing loading is arframe loaded weight divided by wing area and for the Bf 109 it was a higher figure for a relatively small airframe. This did have a tendency to scare inexperienced pilots, particularly on take-off; the '109 had a comparatively high take-off and landing speed to what the pilots in the late 30s were used to in the Luftwaffe, basically Fw 56s and He 51s, but the slats helped with flying handling at steep angles of bank. The high speeds on the ground was considered a disadvantage when the Bf 109 was being pitted against the He 112 during evaluation.

This is Eric Brown's account of stalling a Gustav;

"The stall with the aircraft clean, with half fuel load and the engine throttled right back occurred at 105 mph (168 km/h). This was preceded by elevator buffet and opening of the slats about 20 mph (30 km/h) above the stall, these being accompanied by the unpleasant aileron snatching as the slats opened unevenly. The stall itself was failry gentle with the nose dropping about 10 degrees. In the landing configuration the stall occurred at 99 mph (160 km/h) with identical symptoms apart from heavier elevator buffetting."

This an account by Dave Southwood a regular display pilot of Black 6 when it was flying;

"The idle stall characteristics are very benign and are affected little by undercarriage and flap position. Stall warning, which occurs at about 6 mph (10 km/h) above the stall, is given by a slight wing rock and the stick floatingright by about 2 inches (5 cm). The stall is characterised by a left wing dropb through about 15 degrees, accompanied by a light buffet. All controls are effective up to the stall and recovery is instant on moving the stick forward.

Stall speeds are 96 mph (155 km/h) clean and 87 mph (140 km/h) with undercarriage and flap down. In a turn with 2,300 rpm/1.15 ata [atmospheres] set, stall warning is given by a light buffet at around 3g and the stall occurs at about 3.5g with the inside wing dropping. Again, recovery is instataneous on reducing the pull force on the stick."

Nuuuman,

Do you have any data about accelerated stalls, or stalls under G and full or high power settings? I don't know that power off landing type stalls are the same as those found under high power and hard pulls on the stick.

Cheers,
Biff

Thanks Biff, I suspect most pilots referring to turning fights omit a lot of banking climbing rolling and other maneuvers ending with dodging around churches bridges and power lines. The Typhoon pilot said (as you say) the Fw was pulling a hard turn about 20ft above the sea, suddenly a wing dipped and it cartwheeled into the sea.

Pbehn,

If you were to be in a nearby plane watching a dogfight (BFM in todays parlance) you would think it was fairly benign. If you were in the aircraft it would be anything but. I took up a 1 star (Brig Gen with a T38, U2, SR71, KC135 background) and did short range defensive set up's with an F-16. When we were on the RTB he told me he had no idea it was so violent. I thought of it as normal due to acclimatization. He also asked why I put my hand up against the canopy, to which I replied to hold myself in the seat (the jet would get to zero or slight negative G during some maneuvers). It's hard to maneuver the plane when you are hanging in the straps.

Not only do you rough house the plane, but the throttles as well. As a defender you try to give the offender problems he can't solve by maneuver closure, which means both the stick and throttle/s are getting moved. What I don't know is how much throttle manipulation they did in pistons (Greg P?). I don't know if those engines could take slamming the throttle from stop to stop without something getting hurt.

Cheers,
Biff

It's not so bad when you are matched, say, 8 to 8 ... but 4 on 20 will mean the 4 are going to have a bad time, usually.

Unless you are Saburo Sakai :)

Imagine what he would have done with 2 eyes working ....... I think he was flying a KI-84 in June 44 when he met the 15 Hellcats?

To show the importance of pilots, I'd take Sakai in a Zero over a competent pilot in a Hellcat.

On the topic of fatigue in a fight, I think all of the reasons mentioned are contributors, but the single biggest reason has to be the fact that the pilot had to muscle these aircraft around.

You can read about the stick forces of some of these aircraft - even at lower force levels a man can only last so long.

A couple of good anecdotes here from Wing Commander Hugh Godefroy DSO, DFC and Bar, Croix de Guerre with Gold Star (Fr) -- (though he was a Pilot Officer in the first quote and Flight Lieutenant in the second).

November 8, 1941
When I levelled out, I found myself directly over Le Torquet, and a little ship outside the harbour was throwing up a furious barrage of flak at me.

While I was in the process of turning and twisting, dodging the flak, I was 'bounced' by two 109s. They were a well-disciplined pair, so stationed that one could take over the attack where the other left off. Soon they were joined by two more. Turning and twisting I took short blind bursts at anything that went in front. It seemed like no time before I heard the hiss. I was out of ammunition. I was still over the ship which was relentlessly tracing my course through the sky with its flak. The 109s pressed home their attack with persistent vigour, one coming within fifty yards, firing all the way. Watching his tracer, I found myself trying to climb up on the dashboard. With one shuddering turn after another I was bathed in sweat. I had to keep my head spinning from one side to the other so that I could watch two at a time.

Gradually a sickening dread came over me as my strength diminished. On the point of exhaustion, I was ready to give up when all at once they left me alone. Realizing they too must have run out, I flicked over on my back and went straight down on the sea through a hail of light flak. I kicked my tail out of the way a few times for a quick look, but sure enough, nobody was there.

March 13, 1942
Inside the coast, a Focke-Wulf 190, its yellow nose glistening in the sun, went by on my side. In level flight at high speed the 190 flew with nose down. The prop appeared to be barely turning, as through the pilot had throttled back to wait. It seemed as if he was looking at me with a hooked nose and a malevolent sneer. I couldn't stand it, I had to get it over with.

Banging the throttle through the gate, I peeled out of the formation and went after him. He was the sucker bait, and, as if he was thumbing his nose, he rolled gracefully over and streaked for the ground. I was where they wanted me, a – l – o – n – e.

In an instant, two more came rocketing down from above with the leading edges of their wings rippling fire. As they split up and took turns attacking, a wave of nausea came over me. Determined to sell myself dearly, I took chances on longer bursts as they went by. The shudder of my guns maintained my spirit but I knew that soon my six seconds would be up. The next time I pressed my thumb I heard the sickening hiss. I was out. Gasping in my mask as I strained with the G., I worked myself towards the Channel. Doggedly they kept after me. By the time I had managed to get ten miles off shore I felt myself greying out with exhaustion. I was ready to give up. Another was coming in. I levelled out, flew straight towards England and closed my eyes.

After what seemed like an eternity, I opened my eyes and looked. On my port side was a 190 slowly going by. For a moment we looked at each other eye to eye. The next instant he was in a climbing turn and went diving back into France. I was alone. I dived down on the waves and went 'balls out' for Dover. As I crossed in over the cliffs with the balloons all riding gently into the wind, I felt as though I awakened from a nightmare. With ten gallons of fuel I circled Manston for a landing.

Last edited:
You could also say that it was people who enjoyed killing animals for sport became good fighter pilots. I honestly believe this is revisionist, the RAF training was poor, so there was a post war consensus that only "grouse shooters" could become pilot aces.
Mid-1942 is a little early to be "revisionist," and that's when Leigh-Mallory started his campaign for the .5" and was told he couldn't have it for the reason stated. If you read paragraph II of this paper, it'll give some (early) confirmation of Air Ministry thinking.
PICT0115_zpsf175cabc.jpg

As an counter argument to Tuck and Stanford I offer Adolph Malan certainly not an aristocrat no record of shooting grouse though I believe as a south african he shot a few animals. All I have read about him is that he hated the enemy and wanted to kill them, post war I believe he left the RAF in 1946 never flew again and went into politics.
If you actually bother to read what I said, I wrote "average pilot," and how many of those never scored a single victory?
With regard to the football-passing analogy, have you seen how many passes don't reach their intended recipient?
Also, I don't think there are many footballers who propel a ball at 1000 feet per second, to a colleague travelling at 250/350 mph.

Last edited:
I met Saburo Sakai at a Doug Champlin get-togeter in the early 1980's. He said he was flying a Zero and the Hellcats were following procedure to the letter. He waited for them, to get into firing position and snap-rolled to the left every time just as they shot (he saw the guns fire) ... and nobody ever led him correctly ... they followed training. He escaped and had tremendous respect since if he had not applied airshow aerobatics, he would have been dead.

HIS words, not mine.

All in all a pretty good guy who was very nice to meet. He took a ride in Bill Hane's P-51 after the talk and loved it.

It's in one his books.

Pbehn,

If you were to be in a nearby plane watching a dogfight (BFM in todays parlance) you would think it was fairly benign. If you were in the aircraft it would be anything but. I took up a 1 star (Brig Gen with a T38, U2, SR71, KC135 background) and did short range defensive set up's with an F-16. When we were on the RTB he told me he had no idea it was so violent. I thought of it as normal due to acclimatization. He also asked why I put my hand up against the canopy, to which I replied to hold myself in the seat (the jet would get to zero or slight negative G during some maneuvers). It's hard to maneuver the plane when you are hanging in the straps.

I dont doubt that at all, I sometimes go to a Kart track, every one who goes for the first time is completely underwhelmed when they see people going around, it looks like pensioners out for a sunday drive. Then they try it themselves and after 10 minutes they are completely knackered, this in a 4bhp kart with a max of about 30mph, the corners are very tight though.
The thing is there are no real straights so unless you learn to relax your hands left and right you get cramp from lack of blood flow.

Mid-1942 is a little early to be "revisionist," and that's when Leigh-Mallory started his campaign for the .5" and was told he couldn't have it for the reason stated. If you read paragraph II of this paper, it'll give some (early) confirmation of Air Ministry thinking.

If you actually bother to read what I said, I wrote "average pilot," and how many of those never scored a single victory?
With regard to the football-passing analogy, have you seen how many passes don't reach their intended recipient?
Also, I don't think there are many footballers who propel a ball at 1000 feet per second, to a colleague travelling at 250/350 mph.

Leigh Mallory doesnt mention shooting grouse, which was the point of my post.
"You could also say that it was people who enjoyed killing animals for sport became good fighter pilots. I honestly believe this is revisionist, the RAF training was poor, so there was a post war consensus that only "grouse shooters" could become pilot aces."

With regard to the football analogy have you seen footballers (soccer) or a quarterback (US Football) warming up or training, they hardly ever miss. During the game there is opposition to tackle intercept or block, apart from in football the player wants to receive and in air combat the target doesnt want to be hit the analogy works perfectly. Some people work better under pressure than others.

Last edited:
I think the standard of air-to-air gunnery training in the RAF was poor. The key question is why? Area Fighting Tactics didn't help, with the carefully choreographed, and entirely impractical, manoeuvres by large formations of fighters, with the leader teeing up the squadron and everyone else just following along. It must also be considered that Fighter Command was established to defend the British Isles from bomber attack. The concept of enemy fighters operating in British airspace was discounted until France's surrender made it an operational and tactical reality. It was within this context that the Air Ministry pushed as many pilots through training to grow the front-line strength of Fighter Command, and decisions were made to cut corners in line with the prevailing thought about the nature of the threat and the proposed tactics. If you're not expecting to face fighters, why waste time training on air combat manoeuvring and deflection shooting? Was it right? Clearly not but, equally, in what was perceived as a life-and-death struggle against Nazi Germany, preceded by a race against time to increase Britain's military capabilities, I think it would be harsh to judge the decisions too critically. Decisions are always easy to make in hindsight.

@ nuuumannn if the 109s stall characteristics are like that...it stalls more gently than on old cessna 150 ( no capped wing tips )...those will scare the hell the first time as they dip violently to the side ( port iirc ) and want to spin.

@ Biff no armadillo road kills? where i was in oklahoma i rarely saw a skunk kill....more 'dillos and turtles ( believe it or not ).

@ pbehn i wish the LW and VVS records were as plentyful and avaialble as raf and usaaf. in those the degree of defelection commonly mentioned. i will venture to say...but have absolutley no way to prove...the LW was in the same boat as us and raf. some of its pilots did well with delfection shooting and some didnt. i cant remember hartmann ever saying he did...he choose to climb up his enemy's butt before firing. from all i have read about the vvs and their training ( lack thereof or poor ) they were behind the 8 ball with this. probably fewer of their pilots did it well. what they lacked in precision they made up for satuarting the sky with planes and lead. that is entirely my opinion.

@ greyman you just found two sterling examples of what i was saying about fatigue. had either of those pilots got into a fight with a rested or fresh enemy pilot they may not have been able to muster the strength needed to evade and escape. i have read too many accounts where the pilot noted about his prey .." they made no evasive maneuvers" ( to which i attibute fatigue or being wounded )

@ Biff no armadillo road kills? where i was in oklahoma i rarely saw a skunk kill....more 'dillos and turtles ( believe it or not ).
An Armadillo can tear up the front end of a car (steering linkage, oil pan, etc.) where a Skunk will just leave a stench for a while.

Of course, both of those options have to be far better than hitting a moose...

:lol:

happened to me last night.

travelling home in thick fog, when suddenly the car infront swerves to the left and in front of me i had an Ambulance on the travelling on the wrong side of a duel carridgeway, i missed a head on by inches !

it looked like he turned right out of a junction but instead of crossing the first two east bound lanes and turn onto the west bound lane he just turned into us, we all swerved and he just carried on travelling in the wrong side of the road !

was still shaking at home 20 minutes later !

Remind me not to travel by Ambulance !
And as for hitting things on the road - in my town, do not hit a Hippocroccofrog ! Hitting one causes a Range Rover to end up looking like a Smart car !

Rule of the road in Germany, if you hit a wild boar NEVER get out to see how it is, if it isnt dead you very soon may be.

happened to me last night.

travelling home in thick fog, when suddenly the car infront swerves to the left and in front of me i had an Ambulance on the travelling on the wrong side of a duel carridgeway, i missed a head on by inches !

it looked like he turned right out of a junction but instead of crossing the first two east bound lanes and turn onto the west bound lane he just turned into us, we all swerved and he just carried on travelling in the wrong side of the road !

was still shaking at home 20 minutes later !
Holy crap, Karl!!

That was certainly a close one!

I can also say, from experience, that head-on collisions suck.

And they're hard on the paint job.

With regard to the football analogy have you seen footballers (soccer) or a quarterback (US Football) warming up or training, they hardly ever miss.
When the aircraft and targets were standing still, the pilots didn't miss the butts, either.
During the game there is opposition to tackle intercept or block, apart from in football the player wants to receive and in air combat the target doesnt want to be hit the analogy works perfectly.
Except for the speeds involved, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back