The Shepherd

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007

The Shepherd - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Shepherd is a 1976 novel by Frederick Forsyth. Forsyth created as an original work as a Christmas gift to his wife after she request a ghost story be written for her. Written on Christmas day, and published near that time a year later, the idea came while trying to think of a setting away from the typical haunted homes, and seeing planes flying overhead. Many have speculated references to preexisting RAF folklore. While Forsyth was a former RAF pilot and could have heard and adapted such a story (either with or without the intent to do so) no references or anecdotal evidence have been put forward to support such claims.

The Shepherd by Frederick Forsyth. Anyone read it? Great little short story. I thought it would make a nice aviation film (all you need is a Vampire and a Mosquito) but there would have to be a lot of monologue read out as a lot of the story revolves around an avionics meltdown with potentially disastrous repercussions.

If not, what aviation novel would you like to see on the big screen?

:occasion5: @Sabrina

G....I'd love to see anything depicting the Ploiesti Raid. It amazes me that they haven't done something about that yet!!! (or am I just clueless, and have missed it?)

Yes Graeme I read 'The Shepherd' many years ago. Thanks for reminding me of the title, i've been trying to think of it for years! It was quite an enjoyable read, and, in a way, beleievable, if such things can be believed?
As for books to the screen, there are a number that would convert quite nicely, including a novel I wrote, but never progressed, based on the wartime experience of a Luftwaffe fighter pilot, 1940 to 1945!
I've often wonderd how Len Deighton's 'Goodbye Mickey Mouse' would translate onto the big screen?

I get nervous whenever anyone mentions a book I enjoyed is being made into a movie. Hollywood has a very fine and longstanding tradition of slaughtering prose while converting it into something they think their audiences will want to see. Closest I've come to being really impressed was "Count of Monte Cristo". Wish htey could've gone more in depth with regards to the intricacies of Dante's revenge, but it wasn't badly done for a 2-hour movie. Im' the same way with WW2 movies. Seems like nowadays all they want to do is make a statement about how evil armies and wars are, etc, or just blow things up. "Great Raid" (based on "Ghost Soldiers") was fairly close to the book, and Clint Eastwood was respectful with "Flags of Our Fathers", but other than that...

I get nervous whenever anyone mentions a book I enjoyed is being made into a movie. Hollywood has a very fine and longstanding tradition of slaughtering prose while converting it into something they think their audiences will want to see. Closest I've come to being really impressed was "Count of Monte Cristo". Wish htey could've gone more in depth with regards to the intricacies of Dante's revenge, but it wasn't badly done for a 2-hour movie. Im' the same way with WW2 movies. Seems like nowadays all they want to do is make a statement about how evil armies and wars are, etc, or just blow things up. "Great Raid" (based on "Ghost Soldiers") was fairly close to the book, and Clint Eastwood was respectful with "Flags of Our Fathers", but other than that...

We can only hope RA, Eastwood did a pretty good job.

The Great Raid
Flags of our Fathers
Band of Brothers

Those are the ones that I can think off that a did a pretty good job keeping to the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back