The thread formally known as the P-39 vs. ze Germans thread.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Having said that.........

1539620847415.png

Sent my son to son to Skip Barbers up at Road Atlanta, I've been through there a couple of times, invaluable, take the one day or send the kid to the one day teen driver course.

Want a real groin hardening experience, take one of the Racing School courses... It ain't an F-15 but it's as much fun as you can have with you pants on in a car.

First time I found the steep slip a lil unnerving. Just seemed so weird. I kept thinking "when are you going to tell me the engine fire is out"? lol
Another one of those gyrations that needs to be reduced from an "Omigod" to an "I can do this!"
I found it useful to minimize crabs and emphasize slips in crosswind landing practice. Removes the weirdness factor. In fact as an exercise, my students and I would practice one wheel touch and goes in a crosswind. Essentially this was flying the plane down the runway in a slip with the upwind wheel rolling down the centerline while maintaining a balance of power and crossed controls to keep that wheel rolling straight with no lateral skidding. Not an exercise I would recommend for a nugget CFI, and students and private pilots were forbidden to practice it solo, but it sure polished their skills and built their confidence. Definitely took away the weirdness factor where slips were concerned.
Cheers,
Wes

Maybe a good learning tool as long as one is aware of its limitations.
And you heard it here first. Having heard the drawbacks of the sim, you're in a position to intelligently minimize them. Choose a plane that's a likely flight school trainer and install it on your sim. Get hold of the OEM version of that plane's Pilot Operating Handbook (NOT the Microsoft version!!), a basic flight school Private Pilot syllabus, and an appropriate VFR chart for your area. My favorite back in the day was William Kershner's Private Pilot Handbook. Read everything in Kershner (or whatever you did get) right up to the Private checkride, then go back and read everything up to solo again.
Now get out your POH and read about the airplane. Learn its procedures and limitations, looking back at your private handbook and inserting your airplane's parameters into the maneuvers described.
Now it's time to think about the sim. Every time before firing up the sim, run yourself mentally through the preflight inspection procedure described in the plane's POH. Once you've completed the cockpit check, get out your checklists (You mean you didn't print out and laminate the checklists from the POH? Tsk,tsk!) Now go through the "Before Start" and "Engine Start" checklists, get your motor running, then run the "Before Taxi" checklist. Now on this first lesson, we're not going to fly, just taxi around and get used to ground handling. At some point we're going to run the "Before Takeoff" checklist, but not take off. This is all about familiarization. You're going to have to go through this whole process (except the "no takeoff" part) every time you go flying, so get used to it.
When you actually do get airborne in your sim try to fly by reference to the outside picture rather than the inside gages. Learn what visual attitudes and power settings give you what performance, then try to fly "eyes out" with only occasional glances at the gages to confirm that you're on speed and altitude. Remember, pitch controls speed and power controls altitude, and fun makes it all happen.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
And you heard it here first. Having heard the drawbacks of the sim, you're in a position to intelligently minimize them. Choose a plane that's a likely flight school trainer and install it on your sim. Get hold of the OEM version of that plane's Pilot Operating Handbook (NOT the Microsoft version!!), a basic flight school Private Pilot syllabus, and an appropriate VFR chart for your area. My favorite back in the day was William Kershner's Private Pilot Handbook. Read everything in Kershner (or whatever you did get) right up to the Private checkride, then go back and read everything up to solo again.
Now get out your POH and read about the airplane. Learn its procedures and limitations, looking back at your private handbook and inserting your airplane's parameters into the maneuvers described.
Now it's time to think about the sim. Every time before firing up the sim, run yourself mentally through the preflight inspection procedure described in the plane's POH. Once you've completed the cockpit check, get out your checklists (You mean you didn't print out and laminate the checklists from the POH? Tsk,tsk!) Now go through the "Before Start" and "Engine Start" checklists, get your motor running, then run the "Before Taxi" checklist. Now on this first lesson, we're not going to fly, just taxi around and get used to ground handling. At some point we're going to run the "Before Takeoff" checklist, but not take off. This is all about familiarization. You're going to have to go through this whole process (except the "no takeoff" part) every time you go flying, so get used to it.
When you actually do get airborne in your sim try to fly by reference to the outside picture rather than the inside gages. Learn what visual attitudes and power settings give you what performance, then try to fly "eyes out" with only occasional glances at the gages to confirm that you're on speed and altitude. Remember, pitch controls speed and power controls altitude, and fun makes it all happen.
Cheers,
Wes
Much thanks for that. I feel your post is so valuable im actually going to print it out and keep it for a roadmap so to speak.
Verry nice of you to take the time to help me out.:salute:

Cheers,
Wes

I was waiting for the "Now its time to think about your sim. Turn it off..."

:lol:

I was waiting for the "Now its time to think about your sim. Turn it off..."

:lol:
Just a bit off topic( since when did that ever stop me:)) but my ratings bar has been absent all day. Just curious if its a problem with my particular phone or the site. Do you know if others are having the same issue right now?

Ok, I got it. Didn't realize when you hit the like button the rattlings bar would pop up.
Guess I shoulda thought of trying that before asking.
Sometimes I don't see the forest for all the trees.:rolleyes:
The ratings bar was there earlier today and then it disappeared and that mysterious brown "like" showed up.
The indicator bar below the avatar is still missing, however and the trophy points and such are in stacked rectangles instead of a row of neat boxes (as shows up in Geo's screenshot)...may have to point horseUSA horseUSA to this conversation and get his thoughts.

I'll be able to compare it all when I'm on the computer in a little while.

One thing an instructor did way back then that made me lose confidence in him. was when he had me do engine outs over a closed strip. I knew you weren't supposed to let the wheels touch when Xs were painted on the concrete but he insisted on a roll out but the final incident was at the same session his last engine out was as we took off he chopped the throttle at about 100 feet and when I setup for straight ahead into the weeds He yelled No No took the stick did a near hammerhead 180 back to the strip.
I learned to fly on a runway with Xs on it. The Naval Air Station where I learned had a runway that they no longer maintained to tactical jet standards, so they painted gold Xs on it outlined in blue, and made it the Navy Flying Club runway. All was well and good until the night (couple of years after I left) when an S-2 belonging to a west coast squadron with a desk-driver senior Commander at the controls came out of a TACAN circle-to-land approach at night in a storm and touched down on the wrong runway. About 200 yards beyond the departure end was the "O" Club golf course, and the Commander parked his "stoof" in the caddy shack. Now you would think this would put an end to the old man's flight skins, but no, they found a way to pin it on the JG in the right seat, since he had done a tour as a "plowback" flight instructor at Pensacola, and theoretically should have been command pilot.

Ah, hammerheads to the runway! I used to deliberately do those when it became necessary to convince an obstinate student of the unwisdom of attempting them. When you get through 90° of turn and the ground is coming up fast it becomes pretty clear pretty quick that without power you aren't going to make it. Don't even think of trying this in a plane you have even the slightest doubt about. We had the contract for the local AFROTC flight program, and the embryo zoomies all thought they were junior Chuck Yeagers. I found that doing this demonstration just once generally lasted through about three years worth of cadets. Nobody else ever pushed me that far.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back