So chaps, I've just got back from the Tin Tent, after a slightly tiring five hour drive, due to heavy rain, some roadworks, and a brief rest halt.
I didn't hook-up my lap top to the 'net, hence lack of contact this past two weeks, as the first week saw extremely high temperatures (for the UK), sticking in the high 30s Celsius (average 35c/95f, and hitting 38+c /100+f a lot of the times), which was quite debilitating, especially with zero breeze and no shade (it exceeded 43C/109F in the 'van !!!).
This was followed by more comfortable conditions later, then thunderstorms and heavy rain, on and off, over the second week. I'd only intended to stay for about 7 days, but stayed on to recover from the exhaustion, and this was the first visit, in order to set-up for the season, with Karl doing the donkey work, most of which was done by the time I arrived, having been delayed en-route.
Unfortunately, this will be the last year that I'm able to use the Tin Tent, as the site will be closing down at the end of September.
The owners need to retire, and the site (and their house) were due to be sold, with the business continuing under new ownership, but after nearly 11 months of waiting to finalise the sale, the deal stalled, so Malcolm and Wendy have decided to just remain in their house, close the site and enjoy some well needed private time. A darned shame, but totally understandable.
HOWEVER !
This will not be the end of "The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent", as I hope to continue with my travels, one way or another, and will be returning to the tropics of Norfolk just ten days from now, to meet up with Karl on 19th June, ready to depart for Normandy again.
We'll be setting off on the morning of 20th June, and meeting our friend (and forum member) Max at the Tank Museum at Bovington, Dorset, where I hope to get a shed load of photos, then continuing on to an hotel at Portsmouth, for an overnight stop before the 08.00 hrs ferry on Sunday morning to Ouistreham, Normandy, arriving 15.00 hrs local time. Then it's a short drive to our hotel at Benouville, near Pegasus Bridge, for the start of another tour of D Day and battle of Normandy battlefield locations. We're staying at the same great hotel as last year and, now that we know the area somewhat, and with more time this year, we're looking forward to a fantastic tour.
We're returning to the UK on Saturday, 27th June, but I'll be remaining at the Tin Tent for a further week, as some friends will be visiting in their campervans. This means I'll probably not get to edit and post photos until I return home around the 8th or 9th of July, but no doubt Karl will probably sling a few pics this way, during and after the tour.
Watch this space .......................