The TSR2: The Greatest Plane Never Built. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Agree buddy! She's one beautiful bird....

Definately, all the competitors for the G.O.R aircraft were good looking.

8) I wasnt kidding actually, RAF Avro Vulcan did bomb the argentine garrison, but the probabilities of succesfully penetrated enemy aerospace in the TRS2 wer a lot better, was supersonic at low altitude and had very good avionics after all.

Uh...is subjetive after all.

Other interesting G.O.R design by Fairey.

General Operations Requirement 339 of 1957 called for a new tactical strike and reconnaissance aircraft as a supersonic replacement for the English Electric Canberra. The Fairey Aircraft Company, using data from the Delta projects submitted this canard design in early 1958. With two Rolls Royce RB142R or Olympus 15R engines as power-plants the design had proposed armament of 6 x 1000lb bombs, Red Beard rockets or rocket packs. The aircraft was never developed: the BAC TSR 2 being the eventual 'winner' of the requirement*.
Span: 10.6m (34' 8") Length: 30.7m (100' 9") Max. Speed: Mach 2.15 at 36,000ft

GOR339_thumbs

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 270
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 309
Other interesting G.O.R design by Fairey.
GOR339_thumbs

Good find Charles! I think around 18 companies put in proposals for the GOR.339 specification. From an article by Tony Butler (AE 62) here's the "P.1129 Development", a combined design from Avro and Hawker (November 1958) which by then were known as Hawker Siddeley Aviation(?), which he describes as the "Cup Finalist"...

English Electric's P.17A design looked the most promising but in the end (1 January 1959), the contract was awarded to EE and Vickers-Armstrong based on a 50/50 partnership which they argued long and hard against, even as to where it was to be built and what airfield the prototype would fly from.

The "Design Timeline"...

(Take-Off. pp304-305)

You are wrooong I say.....Batman, anyone can see that

The Bristol proposal look even more like a comic book machine .

English Electric's P.17A design looked the most promising but in the end (1 January 1959), the contract was awarded to EE and Vickers-Armstrong based on a 50/50 partnership which they argued long and hard against, even as to where it was to be built and what airfield the prototype would fly from

Thanks for the 3 view drawings, Quite sad that the only sucessful British company of the time, English Electric, were forced to be a mere parter of other not so succesful firms. Bad, bad planning by the british goverment.

Quite sad that the only sucessful British company of the time, English Electric, were forced to be a mere parter of other not so succesful firms.

G'day Charles. EE and Shorts were actually planning to mount the P.17 on a sort of airborne carrier in the early stages.

One of the most impressive features of the TSR 2, I feel, is that despite its tiny delta wing it was a STOL aircraft, featuring blown flaps such as were puioneered by the Buccaneer and are used by many modern types to achieve STOL without the weight and complexity of the VG wing of its rival the F-111, a form which has now all but died out.

But then we designed the Tornado with a VG wing, the LAST new combat aircraft to use the format. WTF was that all about?

I never knew much (still don't) about the specification, subsequent design bids and the TSR2 until I read the coverage here. Thanks. One thing I have noticed in the specification is that the requirement (and resulting design drawings/bids) is not too far off the capability of the North American Vigilante. Can't help but notice the similarities, though the weapons bay of the Vigilante was a (proven) failure, but it could have answered the specifications from what I see so far. And, it went into production and use.

Supermarine canard proposal for the G.O.R. 339, really , really ugly aircraft.

This was not designed for OR339, which called for a bomber. This was designed to F.155T, an interceptor required to reach mach 2.5 and fly at 70,000ft. The favoured design for this was the Fairey Delta III.shown here.

fd3_4.jpg

Sweb, although there is a superficial physical similarity between the A-5 and TSR 2 the two aircraft were in reality very different and the A-5 coulde not have met the spec (or it would have been ordered in 1959).

This was not designed for OR339, which called for a bomber. This was designed to F.155T, an interceptor required to reach mach 2.5 and fly at 70,000ft. The favoured design for this was the Fairey Delta III.shown here.

fd3_4.jpg

Sweb, although there is a superficial physical similarity between the A-5 and TSR 2 the two aircraft were in reality very different and the A-5 coulde not have met the spec (or it would have been ordered in 1959).

I have to say talking about the TSR-2 and related topics is depressing me (even though you guys know your stuff for sure) :(

It reminds me how the UK Aircraft Industry and pretty much all the UKs Industries were sabotaged on all fronts along with a large dose of bad luck too.

Unfortunately, this is the age of the US and other New Entrant countries - the UK will increasingly have to take a back-seat and accept our diminished position in the world

Users who are viewing this thread

Back