The UK weather or the Beast from the East!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep. I've been over various parts of the Yorkshire Moors, both as a 'civvy' and when in the Army, and as you say, even in summer, it can get extremely difficult.
Same in the Lake District, where the weather can change very quickly, especially up on the fells. I've lost count of the number of times I've politely told young 'mumsie and daddy' with kids in tow, that it's not a good idea to venture up the hills dressed in shorts, 'T' shirt and trainers, with a plastic carrier bag containing cans of Coke and packets of crisps, and b*gger all else !

:oops::oops:
Don't fall for it Parsival. The UK is an island, a temperate island. It has no real extremes of weather and so anything is considered extreme unless it is between 10-25C. We had an earthquake last week, 4.4 on the Richter scale and the press spent two days trying to find any damage or actually anyone who felt anything at all. The UK journalists reporting on this tosh will take skiing holidays where it is always colder than UK and summer holidays to places where it is always hotter. My prediction is the UK will just get wetter.
I well remember the weather in the UK this time of the year. Not cold but low level cloud layers and damp. Our little potbelly stoves, one to a hut along with one light bulb, got a work out.:oops:

Last edited:
With a weather forecast of sub zero temperatures, high winds and snow. A group of bright sparks decided to have a 55 (fifty five) mile run across the top of the North Yorks Moors. The 300 runners started at 9AM it took until midnight for the rescue services to be stood down, 30 people described as "hypothermic". As a posters siggy says here "Stupidity has no limits".

Moors rescue for more than 30 runners in 'hypothermic state'

This fun run finished in Guisborough which is where Rochie's hotel is, I don't know if they got any extra trade?
Didnt know about that, though i did see a couple of people with a map walking past the hotel as i drove in to work.
Wind and snow was pretty bad again over the weekend in Guisborough.
People do make stupid decision's

Strange behavior......must be the cold.....
upload_2018-3-21_9-17-30.jpeg

It is ignorance, this is a picture of Guisborough Priory. Note the daffodils and trees to the side. Lovely English countryside, and a nice place to visit. However in the background are the moors, the road leading to it is 1.3 miles long and rises 370ft to another climate altogether. There are no trees at all no houses walls or anything just heather, and the wind blows straight off the sea, this year the 40MPH wind was coming straight from eastern Europe. There is no reason why the weather there should be dangerous or fatal to anyone with proper clothing, however some numpties get caught up there with children wearing tee shirts shorts and trainers and no food at all. The cloud base drops to the level of the moor which means a visibility of 10 meters.

In WW2 many planes were lost there with either icing on the wings or due to navigation errors descended too early and hitting the ground before coming through the cloud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back