The What is it? Game (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'll give that one to you Andy. The F4B-4. In my opinion the coolest looking biplane ever made. It was the Navy version of the P-12.......but you should have guessed better given the color, F4Bs were gray or white and P-12s were green (I know, I'm a smart ass :) )

Attachments

• f4b-4P1010904.JPG
    f4b-4P1010904.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 80
Oh yeah????? Here's a P-12 that's NOT green! SO THERE! :lol:

boeing.jpg

OK, next up, try this one. It might go fast, but then again. Clearly another biplane but which one? And I'm not going to be a smarta$$!

What is it.jpg

You mean I was whacko to suggest a waco? How about a Kiebitz Doppledecker or a DeHaviland Tiger Moth with upper wing fuel tank replaced by twin view ports and with tank being moved to some other location?

Last edited:
I am not too proud to ask for a hint... :oops: but am happy to await your pleasure. When ever you think the time is right... but don't let me rush you. like I said anytime you want... no rush... any time will be fine... :confused: :?::?::?::?:

OK: Curtiss Wright Travel Air?

General (recreation) aviation or military... I've going under the assumption its general.

Last edited:
A Vickers FB 19? (struts look wrong but transparent panels appear pretty similar) No wait! The Vickers F.B.24D appears to have all the features... Stupid me!!! It's a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter...

Attachments

• Sop strutterrsz.jpg
    Sop strutterrsz.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Well done, you got it! Sopwith 1.5, pic taken at the Hamilton Airshow last June. Looks like the very same rig as in your photo above.

Attachments

• What is it full.jpg
    What is it full.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 54
I couldn't sleep last night (Nothing to do with this). Got up in the middle of the night and started yet another internet search for a clue as to what this baby was.

The transparent wing panels should have been a dead giveaway but just couldn't find the right mix of supports or presence of windows. Figured it must be some kind of custom job but that didn't work either. All along my alligator brain was whispering in my ear, "Sopwith... Sopwith..." but I didn't listen. Went through every possibility imaginable. Finally used the above terminology and it slowly came to light. First the Vickers than the Soppy.

Sure looks like the same plane CR photoed. Sometimes its a good thing to be an obsessive-compulsive type... :rolleyes: but not usually. :(

:DDam*n! I am just too easy! you even got the basis for the replica, which I didn't realize. However, the literature says it was done from a BT-15 which looks pretty much like your BT-13 so it seems only fair to give it to you. After all, you may be right and the literature wrong. Congratulations! the monkey is now off mine and onto your back. Have fun! :D

Evidently BT-13s were used as the basis for the B5N portayals in Tora Tora Tora according to wiki. Some of the senior pilots in my squadron including our CO flew those reconstructions for the film. When we returned from our WESTPAC cruise, we stopped at Pear Harbor and carried two of the faux IJN aircraft back to the states on our flight deck, I assume for museums. Walking around the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk with a pair of WW2 Japanese A/C tied down was nothing short of weird. :confused:

Attachments

• P1010011rsz.jpg
    P1010011rsz.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
OK this one may be a bit of a challenge, pictures about 15 years old and the birds a bit bent, enjoy

sneaky.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back