The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nope, y'all wrong. Its the spinny thing on the front of the refuelling pod in a WW1 Victor Tanker. I know this cos I flewed it on my flight sim !.

Back to normality now... Looks Brit so will say Fox Moth.

I don't think it's a Hawker product....I can't find anything similar on any of their interwar designs. The Bulldog does have a wind-driven generator on the upper surface of the starboard lower wing but it's not the same as the one pictured, plus the Bulldog had dual rigging wires while the aircraft in the example just has one.

To be honest, I'm at something of a loss on this one. We may need to yield and have Terry offer us another clue.

Wuzak has it.
It is indeed a Hawker Fury, in this instance an externally accurate replica of K5673, a Fury 1 from the 5th production batch of 1935, on display at the Brooklands Museum, where it was built.

WIG Fury.jpg
WIG Fury 2.jpg

I must admit, I don't recall seeing it either, which is one of the reasons I took the pic at the time.
I've been trying to find a relevant pic of the UK airworthy Fury ( should have loads), to see if it's fitted to that aircraft, but my wrists are so stiff and painful, it hurts to use the mouse to scroll through all the folders !
Either way, the Brooklands Fury is supposed to be externally accurate (internal construction used ex-Wellington alloy frames !), so I guess the generator was there at some point.

EDIT : Just checked my pics of the Duxford Fury, and it ain't fitted. Apologies if this has mislead anyone !

Last edited:
I flicked through the MMP book on the Fury and Nimrod and can't see a generator in that location in any photo, to include the many pics of the restored Fury and Nimrod at Duxford. My guess is that the generator is just on the one example. I can't imagine why they'd make a claim about it being externally accurate when it has such a clear feature that isn't present on contemporary pics.

However...enough of this idle banter. Over to Wuzak for the next pic. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back