The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not a C- 97 or a Harrier

Its not a Wyvern.

The wheels in the picture are on the nose gear

Two remain currently airworthy with a further 3 that could be brought upto flight status

I can see you've been busy on this one !. Sorry tho', its not a '36. Remember, you're looking at a nose wheel assembly in this pic....with two wheels and two steering rams, so that will give a clue to the size of A/C thats up for identification (its not small).

Few more clues... its British design from the late 40's, the exhaust should give a clue to the powerplant used

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 148
Neither.
Not a tail-sitter, though.
High-wing twin engined, it was (and still is in some aspect) a not conventional plane for his days...

Cheers

Last edited:
Budd Conestoga
You win!

Yes, it's the Budd RB-1/C-93 Conestoga the "Steel plane", a modern cargo built mainly of stainless steel in early '40s :D

BUDD_CONESTOGA.png

Here some basic info from "Virtual Aircraft Museum" (All the World's Helicopters and Rotorcraft - the most complete helicopter collection in the world. Helicopters, autogyros, tilt-rotors, tilt-wings etc.)
Budd RB / C-93 Conestoga - transport
The RB transport plane was built mainly of steel, as an insurance against shortage of light alloys. The first prototype flew on October 31, 1943. About 800 aircraft were ordered by US Army and US Navy but there never was an aluminium shortage, so the need for the RB disappeared and only 17 aircraft were built.
budd_conestoga_1.jpg

Cheers

It's been over a week, so if you guys don't mind I'll post another one to keep the thread going.
This one is not cut, it's the whole picture.

Attachments

• P9032960.JPG
    P9032960.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 76
SNJ ? I think there may be two in the picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back