Which was the toughest?

• ETO - Meditteranian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Africa

• ETO - Western Front

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CBI, read John Masters' "Road Past Mandalay" He was one of the Chindits. My father in law was Chief of Surgery for the US army in CBI and he said the diseases over there were horrendous not to mention the climatic conditions. Had a friend that flew in that theatre and he said they were forced down and in two days they were all anemic from the leeches feeding on them.

Still prefer that weather to -20 no trees to stop the wind as it comes over the steppes. On a side note I've been trying to find out what the temp was in the Battle of the Bulge and from what i can see it wasn't at all that cold like the Eastern front or the Choisin Resovoir

Still prefer that weather to -20 no trees to stop the wind as it comes over the steppes. On a side note I've been trying to find out what the temp was in the Battle of the Bulge and from what i can see it wasn't at all that cold like the Eastern front or the Choisin Resovoir

It WAS cold, but they weren't there for 3 winters, nor was it quite as cold.

Yes and the weather in Russia was cold but that was only part of the year. The weather in the CBI was bad all the time and the diseases were omnipresent.

More than one allied or Japanese soldier broke down mentally from the heat, humidity, mud, insects and above all.... the rain!

Sometimes in the monsoon season (and especially in the mountains of the SW Pacific), it could rain continually for days......constant rain, never ending.....

Folks I could tell you first hand. I worked on aircraft in the extreme heat and humidity - Okinawa, Thailand (2 times once during the rainy season), Mojave Airport (the 2nd hottest place on earth) and Bermuda Dunes (The hottest place on earth) Botswana (I was there in the "winter, it was pretty mild) and in the bitter cold (here in Colorado, PEI, Winnipeg and in the Sierra Nevadas) and although my stints were relatively short and I was in a civilian peacetime atmosphere, the cold by far is the worse to work on aircraft in, especially if you're trouble shooting something that requires you to be outside next to the aircraft while its turning.

Folks I could tell you first hand. I worked on aircraft in the extreme heat and humidity - Okinawa, Thailand (2 times once during the rainy season), Mojave Airport (the 2nd hottest place on earth) and Bermuda Dunes (The hottest place on earth) Botswana (I was there in the "winter, it was pretty mild) and in the bitter cold (here in Colorado, PEI, Winnipeg and in the Sierra Nevadas) and although my stints were relatively short and I was in a civilian peacetime atmosphere, the cold by far is the worse to work on aircraft in, especially if you're trouble shooting something that requires you to be outside next to the aircraft while its turning.

The cold could be brutal.... but its nothing compared to being tormented by hordes of disease carrying insects, and parasites in your gut.

Eastern front is my choice just surviving in the winter was a nightmare the other thing I would not be to keen on was the vast expanse that was covered much of it on foot.

The cold could be brutal.... but its nothing compared to being tormented by hordes of disease carrying insects, and parasites in your gut.

You get that in the summer time in Russia too. Have you ever been to Russia during those time periods. Can be pretty brutal when your living in a remote airfield.

I have worked on aircaft in 125 F and in -20 F before. I would much rather work in the 125 F and take my Malaria pills than have to work on an aircraft that if you touch it with your bare hands will take the skin right off.

Take it from someone who has worked in both kind of environments.

In Russia you had:

Spring: Mud, Snow, Rain, Warmth and lot of mosquitos with malaria and parasites.

Summer: Very Hot, Rain, Mud, and lots of mosquitos with malaria and parasites.

Fall: Cool, Mud, Rain, and lots of mosquitos with malaria and parasites.

Winter: Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Ice, Ice, Ice and Frozen Mud that you could still sink into.

Russia was much more harsh than the pacific.

Same here.... Mind numbing cold below -30, GOD I hated those exercises(?). Building your tents, guard duties, out scouting in several feet of snow and it goes on and on. :lol:
What it must have been like when it's the real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back