Then and Now

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gasthof zum roten Ochsen in Heidelberg

View attachment 712518

View attachment 712519
I've been to the "Red Ox" many times in the mid-Fifties. In fact, I attended my sophomore high school year just a short way across Heidelberg. The interior walls & ceiling are carved with peoples' names from hundreds of years ago. It is the Gasthof featured in the movie "The Student Prince". It sits on a small street just below the Schloss (castle). Cool place to have a bier!

Found this interesting photo based on a funny coincidence: the first cyclist's name is Yvan Marie - I have the same initials!
Tour de France 1936 Alouettes des Herbiers:
View attachment 712540
Mont-des-Alouettes aux Herbiers today:
View attachment 712541
In fact there is another mill and a chapel across the street, making the area even more picturesque!
View attachment 712542
Enjoy!
Every time I see a windmill like those, the the scene in "Foreign Correspondent" comes to mind with Joel Mcrea trying to find the kidnapped leader and his coat getting caught in the gears of the grist mill.

Rogierplein Brussel

s-l1600.jpg

1679826747838.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Rogierplein Brussel

View attachment 713144

View attachment 713143

The building in the middle of the photo (then) is the Gare du Nord - a classic "Temple of Transportation" from the 19th century. It was demolished in 1955:
ancienne_gare_du_nord_bruxelles.jpg

The art deco corner building with the "minaret" is Hotel "Siru", designed by Marcel Chabot:
800px-Belgique_-_Bruxelles_-_H%C3%B4tel_Siru_-_05.jpg

What we don't see in the "now"-picture is the giant canopy in the middle of the square:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ertTftGXLw&t=50s

I wish I had taken a picture of my favorite Berlin cafe, Cafe Krantzler, when I was there in 1962 & '63. I had seen a B & W photo from the late '30s or very early '40s of Wehrmacht soldiers sitting in that sidewalk cafe and I was surprised to find that cafe still existed. I, of course had to stop and sample the cafe's wares. The German bier is good- to be expected-- but their Bloody Mary was the best I have ever had. I was disappointed to find just now that this important Berlin landmark is gone. :mad:

Attachments

• Cafe Krantzler Video.mp4
    73.8 MB
Last edited:
I think it is it but not sure now.
I tried to locate many of the places where a Cafe Biard was situated, following this interesting article. Unfortunately non of the addresses shows a building like the one in the old photo. A clue could be the name Sansonnet (Repas) we see over the cafe. This is some kind of a restaurant/eatery. There is a hotel Sansonnet in Paris today but it's not at the same corner location. Maybe some French fellow will decipher the photo in a better way. In the near future....
Cheers!

I was disappointed to find just now that this important Berlin landmark is gone. :mad:
I understand!

Many historical buildings and gardens were destroyed in 2 different, but similar, timeline in Iran...

The first massive destruction happened from 1885 to 1905 , back in Qajar Dynasty, estimated number of buildings and garden destroyed, are about 500.

The second massive destruction, is continuously happening since 1979 ... Estimated buildings destroyed, are over 4500.

Needless to talk about extinction of various animals and plants, or disappearing of mines and forests, or rivers and lakes getting dryed, since 1979.

I understand!

Many historical buildings and gardens were destroyed in 2 different, but similar, timeline in Iran...

The first massive destruction happened from 1885 to 1905 , back in Qajar Dynasty, estimated number of buildings and garden destroyed, are about 500.

The second massive destruction, is continuously happening since 1979 ... Estimated buildings destroyed, are over 4500.

Needless to talk about extinction of various animals and plants, or disappearing of mines and forests, or rivers and lakes getting dryed, since 1979.
Sad but true world wide in architecture, monuments, countryside and nature. Such is the so called march of progress. :D

Sad but true world wide in architecture, monuments, countryside and nature. Such is the so called march of progress. :D
Such cannot be said with the regime! Because words like "progress" are not defined for them.

They are outsiders, invaders, enemies.

Almost all of the buildings that were destroyed by the regimes, was to enlarge their shrines, erase any signs of Pahlavi and other dynasties before them, and killing the nationalism spirit, which unfortunately, were too successful!

Almost none of Iranians, specially Muslims, know nothing about history of country and people.

Lecture books are oversimplified, just about 60 pages, which majority of it, is about after 1979!

Beyond that, many schools don't teach history or geography, and are focused on either Mathematics and related, or biology and related, which is a huge game! However, they'll loose their heads, if they decide to not teach Arabic, Qur'an and other useless political-ideological bulshits. Even us, non Muslims, the real owners of country, are forced to learn those things.

Thanks very much for this Artesh, what you have said has confirmed what I have read and heard over the years. It is a sad shame that the ideology of some can be so narrow and I feel for you having to live under such a mantle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back