Throw Back Thursday warbird Parade (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG

Cheers,

Jeff

Sorry I am late with this. Busy Thursday morning as my granddaughter sleeps over on Wednesday nights and then it is off to school. I also coach a girls football(soccer) team at the high school I work at and we had a practice(training) session today preparing for a tournament next week.

Anyhow, here are the throwbacks for the week.

Jeff

IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG

More nice shots there Jeff.
The first Mustang is in the colours of the Group based at Fowlmere, and the airfield, or part of it, is still in use, and only 200 yards from where you were sitting with us at the campsite last Septmember. Also, it's likely that the campsite was once part of the airfield's dispersed sites - I must check that with Tony, when I go there next week,

More nice shots there Jeff.
The first Mustang is in the colours of the Group based at Fowlmere, and the airfield, or part of it, is still in use, and only 200 yards from where you were sitting with us at the campsite last Septmember. Also, it's likely that the campsite was once part of the airfield's dispersed sites - I must check that with Tony, when I go there next week,

A walking/sitting encyclopaedia you are. Thanks for the tasty morsel and it is kind of cool to know I "was there" ever so briefly. It would kind of cool to go over that campground with a metal detector to have a wee snoop.

Some local brewery in that area should brew a beer called Red and White Ale and use the checkerboard as part of the label.

Cheers,

Jeff

There's a chap involved with the airfield who is looking to start a museum on site, dedicated to RAF 19 Sqn (who operated from there, as a satellite of Duxford, during the BoB) , and the 339th FG who flew their Mustangs from Fowlmere. I'm hoping to meet-up with him during my next visit to Bottisham's embryonic museum, and have a chat, see if I can help in some small way, as with Bottisham.
The two Nissen huts and the cow / pig shed, often mentioned in accounts of the airfiels, and seen in numerous photos, mainly from the BoB period, are still there, and there's a small memorial stone too.
The main (grass and PSP) runway threshold was in the field immediatley behind the tree line where we were sitting, probably less than 100 yards away.
The other pub in Fowlmere village (The Chequers) have their pub sign with the blue and white checks of 19 Sqn on one side, and the red and white checks of the 339th on the other side, in memory of thr two units. It's the pub I was going to take you all to, after we'd had dinner at The Coach House, but time and fatigue caught up with us all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back