Tips for London (Round 2)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Heading to London tonight (10 pm flight out of Newark to Heathrow and then to london, well a town about 30 minutes outside) and was curious what things you guys can suggest! I have seen Hendon, Duxford, Windsor castle, London Eye, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, London Bridge, London Dungeons, did the Bus tour, Tower of London, Churchill War rooms, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace ...few other things I'm forgetting

So far our (my girlfriend and I's) only real idea is Jack the Ripper tour which have gotten great reviews....anything else..? Westminster Abbey? We will be there for 10 days

I toured around St. Pauls Cathedral and got an awesome view of London from the very top. Chatted with the head guy there. You've pretty much covered everything else I saw with the exception of a couple of dozen pubs.

Geo

The Imperial War Museum at Lambeth, The Science Museum at Kensington, and, if you like ancient dusty things, the British Museum. Then, have a look at various travel options, get out of the City, and see where you can get around the UK. For example, you could get a train to Edinburgh, which would take around four hours travel each way. Or maybe get to the Lake District for a day or two, or the south coast.
London may be the Capital (of England), but it's only a tiny bit of a very varied island, both in terms of culture, and landscape.
And of course, although you've already been to Duxford, this coming weekend sees the 'Flying Legends' air display, on Saturday and Sunday, with one heck of a line up (12 Spitfires, for example), which culminates with the 'Balbo' - a mass formation fly past.
I'll be there on Sunday, as will Gary and Tony (Geedee and Rocketeer).

Hi Harrison.
I'd follow Terry and say head out'a town to maybe Oxford for a day, Blenheim Palace where Churchill was borne is out that way or train out to Milton Keynes, hire a car and see Woburn Abbey and it's safari park which is just a little south east of Milton. Maybe a day trip to Brighton by train, a touch of the pucker English sea side.

Ps. Jack the Ripper is good, did it a couple or more tours back and a police car stopped beside us, this head popped out the window and said, 'Were still looking for him'.

Best thing about London....is leaving it behind !. Its a horrible place....Yup, I don't like it at all.

Far better to make your way to Duxford on Friday ready for the Flying Legends airshow this weekend !.

We could have a have a mini forum meetup....me, Rocketeer (Tony), Terry (Airframes) and the list gets longer ! :)

Yep, I agree. Big, horrible, smelly, noisy place, where the majority of people are too busy hustling to and fro, they don't know there's a sky above them !
Even the Luftwaffe got bored with the place, and went elsewhere!
BTW, the Imperial War Museum at Lambeth is currently closed for renovation, but re-opens on the 19th July - just in case you've seen the replies H, and decide to go there!
Apologies, as I'd forgotten about that!
Much better to get into the clean, fresh air of the lovely Cambridgeshire countryside, and watch, and hear, all those prop-jobs burning up the sky. And in the unlikely event you get bored with that, well Cambridge itself is a rather nice University city - not too old, just around nine or ten centuries, so they do have sidewalks, street lighting and so on. The mud tracks and open sewers were improved recently - I think around 1690 or early 1700's .....................

Out of London you can make very easy and quick train journeys to places like Oxford (my original home town), Stratford (upon Avon), anywhere on the south coast or Cambridge/Duxford. That's if you don't fancy driving on the correct side of the road :)

Any of these can be done as a day trip. The train services are actually not bad at all, and I speak as one who has let the train take the strain all over Europe.
There's plenty to see and do (and eat and drink) in all these places. Most importantly they are not London :)

Cheers

Steve

Ah yes, Wales. The place which is famous for always being associated with some sort of natural or man-made disaster.
For example "The raging forest fires in Australia cover an area about the size of Wales "
This can, of course, be misunderstood by those not familiar with the country, if heard as a radio announcement, for example.
"Hm. So is this fire the size of a Blue Whale, a Sperm Whale, or what ....."

Hahahahaha thank you gentlemen for the laughs ! Will see what the girlfriend would like to do as we do have around half our days planned for things other than London !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back