To all you guys 'n' gals in the USA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Temp is starting to come up noe. 22F right now, but it's begining to snow. Cant wait for the rain that's forecast for Saturday.

Dunno what all the fuss is. I was sitting by my open front door all day shirtless and barefoot...

Don't mean to be snotty, but my relatives from YC would be in shorts, shirt and shoeless at T-Bolts place at the lake when the picture was taken. And trying to race one another on the black ice on the highways!

Annie and I were on a showboat on Sydney Harbour night before last! Calm and warm.

Attachments

• cache_00000143716488822e5.jpg
    cache_00000143716488822e5.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 90
C/5x9+32 = F
example
40C/5=8x9=72+32=104F

40 is friggin HOT!

***But then having said that.......... when I was living on the peach ranch in Yuba City I remember digging the lumps from around the base of the trees in 112F heat!!!!!!!

112-32=80/9=8.9x5=44.5C

Last edited:
Bill, you're making a lot of extra math work for yourself. All your numbers amount to 1.8: F = 1.8( C ) + 32 C = ( F - 32 ) / 1.8
The Fahrenheit scale minus the 32 degree "extra" piece goes from 32 to 212 = 180 degrees while the Celsius scale goes from 0 to 100 = 100 degrees. F and C or C and F will always be in a ratio of 180 / 100 or 100 / 180

Never understood Fahrenheit, why don't you guys use a nice international standard like Celcius? :) luckily we now have the iPad which has a u it-converter. I type in Fahrenheid and out comes Celcius.

Last edited:
First off, Farenheit shows freezing as 32°, I'm ok with this because anything that says Zero should be both illegal and shot at the same time.

As for the warmer side of farenheit...when it's 100° farenheit, you know the weather is getting serious, in Celsius, it's only 37. That leaves little to the imagination.

On the otherhand, -40° farenheit is the same in Celsius. Why is this, you ask? Because both Farenheit and Celsius agree that -40° below is freakin' cold and not fit for man nor beast.

Farenheit works, Farenheit is good... :evil4:

First off, Farenheit shows freezing as 32°, I'm ok with this because anything that says Zero should be both illegal and shot at the same time.

As for the warmer side of farenheit...when it's 100° farenheit, you know the weather is getting serious, in Celsius, it's only 37. That leaves little to the imagination.

On the otherhand, -40° farenheit is the same in Celsius. Why is this, you ask? Because both Farenheit and Celsius agree that -40° below is freakin' cold and not fit for man nor beast.

Farenheit works, Farenheit is good... :evil4:
Hmm, let's see :read2:: Fahrenheit uses 3 reference points. First of all it uses the body temperature of a Human. Everybody knows this is not fixed, body-temperature varies between 36 and 38 Celcius, so the scale is not fixed. Worse yet, the temperature could be measured in the mouth or the armpit, which differs significantly at any temperature. And this reference point id: 96 F. Why the heck 96 and not 100:dontknow:? Probably because 100 is too obvious and too easy to remember.
Then he uses a good reference point, the meltpoint of water. This is fixed, so that's good. And he gives this the temperature of 32. Ah, why not, better than 13 or so.
The last point is 0 (finally a logical number) and he references this to ice combined with Ammonium Chloride. Ah well, one should use anything to make a reference point somehow.

To conclude: 40F can be anything between steaming hot and freezing cold :lol:

Marcel, the reasoning behind Fahrenheits scale was basically the same as the metric centrigrade scale, i.e. the elimination of NEGATIVE temperature values. There are rules which apply to negative numbers in mathmatical calculations which are not applicable to temperature. Negative temperatures used in temperature are a DIRECTION or vector quantity. A reading of negative 20 means 20 units below a fixed zero point NOT 20 units less than no units. Therefore Fahrenheit used the coldest temperature obtainable at the time, i.e. the point at which a concentrated brine solution froze as his zero. In the real world temperatures of Below Zero Fahrenheit are not common. Andre Celsius tried the same approach and in his ORIGINAL scale ZERO was the boling point of water and 100C was the freezing point of water. The problem with both scales is that neither man actually knew what temperature is which is why thermometers don't ACTUALLY measure temperature, they measure an effect of temperature change, i.e. the expansion/contraction of matter.
And just in passing, Fahrenheit's actual contribution was a chemical method to clean mercury so that it did not foul the capillary tubes used to make his thermometers

Marcel, the reasoning behind Fahrenheits scale was basically the same as the metric centrigrade scale, i.e. the elimination of NEGATIVE temperature values. There are rules which apply to negative numbers in mathmatical calculations which are not applicable to temperature. Negative temperatures used in temperature are a DIRECTION or vector quantity. A reading of negative 20 means 20 units below a fixed zero point NOT 20 units less than no units. Therefore Fahrenheit used the coldest temperature obtainable at the time, i.e. the point at which a concentrated brine solution froze as his zero. In the real world temperatures of Below Zero Fahrenheit are not common. Andre Celsius tried the same approach and in his ORIGINAL scale ZERO was the boling point of water and 100C was the freezing point of water. The problem with both scales is that neither man actually knew what temperature is which is why thermometers don't ACTUALLY measure temperature, they measure an effect of temperature change, i.e. the expansion/contraction of matter.
And just in passing, Fahrenheit's actual contribution was a chemical method to clean mercury so that it did not foul the capillary tubes used to make his thermometers
Ah, I guess we should also get rid of Celcius. Kelvin it should be. In fact in the lab we used that scale a lot as it is the scientific approach. Very nice, when it is freezing, the temperature is a cosy 273 Kelvin instead of 0C or 32F (don't know how to do degrees-sign on this keyboard). But then again, 40 Kelvin in Australia will be freakin' cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back