Today in Aviation Accident History

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Frankly, I place the blame on the fact that one guy was doing a job two or three should have been doing.
Sounds like you're blaming it on capitalism. Careful, man!
'm not sure if I constitute vigilante justice as karma
Karma can be described as the consequences of your natural state of grace, your behavior, and your acts and their effects on others. It has no relation to vigilante justice, an entirely different cultural concept. Karma could be roughly summarized as "What goes around comes around."
Cheers,
Wes

XBe02Drvr said:
Sounds like you're blaming it on capitalism.
There are certain jobs that are fundamentally better done by a national government, and certain jobs that are fundamentally better done by private enterprise. Take each idea to their extremes and the effects are bad.

Take nationalization to the extreme and you get communism, and privatization to the extreme and you get fascism. I am of the opinion that neither are particularly good things.
Karma can be described as the consequences of your natural state of grace, your behavior, and your acts and their effects on others.
I would be far more quick to pass judgement if the guy was goofing off or was aware of the radar problems. The odds were heavily stacked against him and it's not clear if he was even fully aware of the magnitude of it. It seems more likely that the ultimate problem was the way the ATC was structured in this case.

Had two people been on duty, this would have never happened.
It has no relation to vigilante justice, an entirely different cultural concept. Karma could be roughly summarized as "What goes around comes around."
Except that the death's that were the result of Nielsen's mistake was a mistake... the stabbing did not appear to be a mistake :p

This is ironically a weird case where air-crash investigation and criminal justice meet.

The odds were heavily stacked against him and it's not clear if he was even fully aware of the magnitude of it.
Situational awareness raises its ugly head again! If you're holding lives in your hands, it's your responsibility, no excuses. Anybody who chooses to work in public transport has to realize that someday they could have their own "Bad Day in Black Rock" and have to pay the piper. Life isn't "fair".
Cheers,
Wes

Except that the death's that were the result of Nielsen's mistake was a mistake... the stabbing did not appear to be a mistake
Karma is not about intentions or circumstances, it's about results. Karma would see Neilsen's death as "poetic justice", without any regard for ethical judgements of the perpetrator's act.
Cheers,
Wes

During the last few years of my Commercial Airline Career I served on the "First Respond Management Team" to visit the site of an accident. I had one hour from the time I received notice to pack and board our Corporate Aircraft destined for the crash site. The team numbered about eight under the leadership of our Vice President of Flight Operations. My assignment was to oversee the care of surviving passengers and arriving relatives/friends. I called on the members of our Sales Staff to assist. The first accident in the airlines history took place at O'hare Field, Chicago, IL. during the Christmas Holiday period. The weather was bad and on the second landing attempt the pilot experienced vertigo and in an inverted position crashed into a hanger. There were survivors. The member of our team who selected the mortuary was on vacation so I receive that assignment as well. Making that selection, with seven or eight mortuary representatives in the room, and dealing with the city officials thereafter was difficult.

I was on location about a week before the last remains was shipped to a home town mortuary and survivors released from the hospital. When I returned home I slept for the biggest part of two days. One good thing came out of the experience, I stopped smoking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back