Tom Cruise involved in John Woo's "Flying Tiger's" movie...maybe

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am pissed just from his comment about the Flying Tigers "winning" the war. Go read your hitory Tom! Not taking anything away from the AVG, just thinking about all the other veterans who did their part too! He obviously is not a student of history. I envision a typcial Woo film, everything overdone with little concern about historical accuracy.
Great, another great WW2 story that could be turned into a another epic with the right man and director at the helm, another guy named Tom comes to mind! And a guy named Steven too! Cruise is mediocre at best. He's a tool! at least he finally got the hint no one wants to hear him preaching about his "religious" and political views!
Disappointed to read this.

Ok, I'm going to send this to John Woo.

Claire Chennault - Tom Hanks
"Tex" Hill - Tobey Maguire
Pappy Boyington - Joaquin Phoenix
FDR - John Voit
Charles Older - Jake Gyllenhaal
Other pilots - fill with up and coming young actors

Ok, maybe too much star power, but in the 50's - 70's, they made GREAT war epic movies with a good number of stars.

Tom Cruise in Flying Tigers thats wrong on so many levels:evil:
surely they can do better than that? what about cool actors like Edward norton ,Mark Wahlberg ,russel crowe or even eric Banna.8)

Ok, I'm going to send this to John Woo.

Claire Chennault - Tom Hanks
"Tex" Hill - Tobey Maguire
Pappy Boyington - Joaquin Phoenix
FDR - John Voit
Charles Older - Jake Gyllenhaal
Other pilots - fill with up and coming young actors

Ok, maybe too much star power, but in the 50's - 70's, they made GREAT war epic movies with a good number of stars.

Agree Thor! Almost anyone but Cruise. And for Chennault? Cruise is short and evenly proportioned. Chennault I always thought was tall and skinny. You wouldn't pick Danny Devito to play Abraham Lincoln.

I wouldn't go see the movie period its IMHO an overblown story there are far better topics on the airwar to consider . Ploesti , the guys flying from Wake Island , the real story of the Cactus AF not the crap that was Baa Baa Blacksheep

I would welcome any quality, accurate, realistic WW2 movie, no matter the topic.

Only way to pull this off is to use no name actors and make it about the movie and not the "TopGun's" of the world. So wanted to see the Spruce Goose with todays comp animation but "Leo" prevented that. What's next, Him playing "Sgt. Rock". Can't understand why that hasn't been made!!!!!!!! Or a "GI Combat" Movie. What the hell is wrong with this world!!!!

I am pissed just from his comment about the Flying Tigers "winning" the war. Go read your hitory Tom! Not taking anything away from the AVG, just thinking about all the other veterans who did their part too! He obviously is not a student of history. I envision a typcial Woo film, everything overdone with little concern about historical accuracy.
Great, another great WW2 story that could be turned into a another epic with the right man and director at the helm, another guy named Tom comes to mind! And a guy named Steven too! Cruise is mediocre at best. He's a tool! at least he finally got the hint no one wants to hear him preaching about his "religious" and political views!
Disappointed to read this.

I actually think it was John Woo, who made the comment about the Tigers winning the war...He is a Chinese, who now lives in the USA, and I can see why this might be an interesting topic for him. The AVG was one of the few successful co-operational projects between the Chinese and the Americans, and Woo is a displaced Christian Chinese of Hong Kong. I'm sure that the story of the AVG is one he thinks is important, and maybe less known in "Red China".

Its unfortunate that John Woo's fabulously dramatic film style doesn't really sit well with contemporary "war buff's", who crave reality in a war film...because he apparently enjoys making "big budget war films". If you have ever seen any of his "Hong Kong era" crime story movies you would know what I mean...he makes an art of poetically filmed scenes of overblown ridiculous action...he is truly a master.

I'll bet that Mr Cruise wants to be a part of this story (unfortunately)...because he is a pilot and a war buff.

:eating: :coffee:

How about Sean Penn in the title role in a remake of "Patton"? :rolleyes: :lol:

TO

It is really odd that so many "left wing" actors want to (in fact crave) these heroic WW2 roles...I hear that Mr Baldwin really, really wanted the role of Doolittle in "P.H."...its like they are looking for a legitimate outlet for the warrior that rests in all men (WW2 being the last good war_lol).
:eating: :coffee:

I don't know Proton. To me, it is a injustice to all those who fought in WW2 if the movie is not portrayed as accurately as possible. I think there is a place for Woo's style, many like it. But not when you are retelling a story or period that changed the entire world. Now a fictional event in WW2? That would be fine IMO.

I don't know Proton. To me, it is a injustice to all those who fought in WW2 if the movie is not portrayed as accurately as possible. I think there is a place for Woo's style, many like it. But not when you are retelling a story or period that changed the entire world. Now a fictional event in WW2? That would be fine IMO.

Oh, don't get me wrong...I agree with you, on the whole. I'm just saying that its "too bad", because I feel that John Woo's motivations are "pure". I don't think he is setting out to "just make a buck" or to "ruin the story"...I feel that he really admires the "Tigers".

You could be right.

To some extent I think its an issue of culture...I believe the Chinese culture still enjoys telling "big tails of heroic giants", as apposed to making a "historic-drama" that attempts to record what these people probably experienced and felt. Its a different perspective on how to honor a hero...'they' believe in making them a "larger then life" character (as was the fashion here too, at one time), and we recognize the human/everyman aspect of their experiences. It may also be a matter of experience...by this i mean that the US Army viewed the average soldier as an "everyman" and the training was thus oriented.

Also, i would add that here in the "western world"...we view WW2 as a resent event that is slowly slipping into history. We watch as our own family's slip into the great unknown, and we seek some way of preserving their actions in life. To honor them by remembering what they went through as an "everyman" (by that I mean someone we can empathize with). We somehow view the telling of 'traditional' larger then life hero tails (like Homer) as a ridiculous convention that doesn't honor the 'real life' (humble) hero's we know...

Bottom line...what they went through in the war was heroic interesting enough, without having to 'jazz-up' the story. But then again we are history junkies...

Rant over (sorry)... :eating: :coffee:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back